Not Passing probation

rickyb

I'm on my 4th week, and this job is stressing me out. Every morning is like this rock in my gut. It's 3 am right now and I woke up from a dream I had over the day's work.

I've been on 3 routes, and this last route is kicking my ass. I finished at 20:30 yesterday. There's a lot of nf's on my PC, which I find later on in the wrong places (5 shelf package in RDL). And I think I found out I may be dyslexic, cause for the life of me I can't remember address, package count, and hin, let alone 5 of them. My sup says I should be running my routes to scratch, but I just can't. I'm trying like hell though.

I don't know how you guys put up with this. Is the money really worth it? You're basically giving up 80% of your life to UPS. Customers treat you like :censored2:. And you're body takes a pounding. I'm already having hip problems on week 4, which I think is from using their unorthodox "methods".

Sorry for venting, kudos to you guys who have done it for years. I'm probably getting my walking papers today, or i may just resign. Back to the hub, I can squeeze out 35 hours with my seniority till I get a 40 hour job.

when i worked at UPS, i was told sometimes i was going fast enough and sometimes not. i thought it was ridiculous and didnt really care anyways because i was planning on going to school soon after anyways. i think my supervisor said some stupid :censored2: about remembering numbers and :censored2:, and didnt do none of that cuz it just ruined what little fun i had doing hte job anyways.

if it doesnt matter if u lose your job at UPS, then just enjoy yourself and whatever happens happens. you should be able to do better.

from my short time at UPS, and what i gather on these boards is that this is one of these corporations where they micromanage employees and take the piss out of what could be a reasonably enjoyable job.

oldngray

nowhere special
when i worked at UPS, i was told sometimes i was going fast enough and sometimes not. i thought it was ridiculous and didnt really care anyways because i was planning on going to school soon after anyways. i think my supervisor said some stupid :censored2: about remembering numbers and :censored2:, and didnt do none of that cuz it just ruined what little fun i had doing hte job anyways.

if it doesnt matter if u lose your job at UPS, then just enjoy yourself and whatever happens happens. you should be able to do better.

from my short time at UPS, and what i gather on these boards is that this is one of these corporations where they micromanage employees and take the piss out of what could be a reasonably enjoyable job.

So how is school working out for you now?

rickyb

So how is school working out for you now?
finished some, gonna start work with what i got (looks like ill be earning 5 to $10/hr more than i was at UPS), and then do some more school. i got my eye on camp work, fly in fly out, where i will probably save close to double what i saved earning 30/hr on a railway, and i will be able to do road trips and see the world. instead of the 9 to 5 till u die grinder.

thanks 4 ur concern my conservative friend ;)

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Just have the new guy ride with a full timer for a week to learn the ropes, instead of putting us in a class to learn the safety lingo VERBATIM.
Isn't that how it is done in the training packet? Last time we had drivers qualify they rode with the driver of the route they would be doing for 3 days. First day was completely ride along, second they split the day, third the trainee drove the route while the driver rode shot gun.
I feel like the most stressful part of being a driver was learning the 5 seeing habits, etc.
That stuff isn't stressful, it's just annoying.

Scuderia

The sad part is that this job does not need to be so hard and stressful. If instead of spending money on Orion, which just adds stress, they would analyze the job as a whole and provide tools to the drivers. Like a virtual map on a tablet that shows you the approximate delivery locations that cover/utility drivers could carry around, and plan out their next few stops. Or how about something as simple as letting the regula driver fix and adjust his own trace, but pay him to do so.

Last edited:

DriverMD

Isn't that how it is done in the training packet? Last time we had drivers qualify they rode with the driver of the route they would be doing for 3 days. First day was completely ride along, second they split the day, third the trainee drove the route while the driver rode shot gun.

I mean like skip the class and learn how to be a driver by going out with an actual driver, not sitting in a room learning how to use the DIAD on a computer.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think he has nothing to worry about at this point. Everyone is confused when they first start. Now if was getting half way to the door before remembering that he forgot to grab the package for that stop--then I would say he has a problem.

Geo926

I think he has nothing to worry about at this point. Everyone is confused when they first start. Now if was getting half way to the door before remembering that he forgot to grab the package for that stop--then I would say he has a problem.

Lol do drivers really do that? I've forgotten the board but the package itself?

rod

Retired 22 years
Lol do drivers really do that? I've forgotten the board but the package itself?

You would be surprised if you found out what some drivers have done. I've never done that but I will confess to once or twice being so "out there" that I dove past a rural stop---turned around and drove past it again so I had to turn around again.

barnyard

KTM rider
but I will confess to once or twice being so "out there" that I dove past a rural stop---turned around and drove past it again so I had to turn around again.

I may have done that also. I can remember one of them. Man o man, it was a nice day and I may have been distracted by these 2 college age women rollerblading. 1 wearing black yoga shorts, the other white. Missed a delivery stop and a pickup stop. Had to go back to both.

By The Book

In most centers the on car goes out with the trainee for 3 days then shadows them for the next 2 with the computer and OMS messages. All the safety stuff that the newbies have to learn (basically word for word), is very stressful when they are told you won't pass the class unless you know it 100%.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The sad part is that this job does not need to be so hard and stressful. If instead of spending money on Orion, which just adds stress, they would analyze the job as a whole and provide tools to the drivers. Like a virtual map on a tablet that shows you the approximate delivery locations that cover/utility drivers could carry around, and plan out their next few stops. Or how about something as simple as letting the regula driver fix and adjust his own trace, but pay him to do so.

Old guys like me started with a truck full packages and a paper map. No idea what was in the truck until you went through the shelves. No idea how many pieces per stop. Nice thing was, the same stop was always the same sequence number assuming the sequence number was written on the box.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah