Not Runner Gunner But Don't Eat

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Never seen any discipline for putting one in and not taking it,, only a meaningless warning for forgetting to put one in,, thats in CS

BrownArmy

Because I don't have the balls to be called out every morning and I really don't want a production ride.

I tried not putting for lunch for a while and whenever I was 50 clicks over I was being questioned about why I don't put in for lunch.

A number of posters here have given you the solution.

The solution is, take your lunch and breaks. Not only will that give you much needed refreshment, it will also show your management team what accurate numbers look like on your route.

They can/maybe will ride you for that.

That's fine - get them on car with you and ask them to show you how it's done.

The upshot of that is that, eventually, your route won't go out so heavy.

But that's only going to work if you find your balls.

mrbrownstone

A number of posters here have given you the solution.

The solution is, take your lunch and breaks. Not only will that give you much needed refreshment, it will also show your management team what accurate numbers look like on your route.

They can/maybe will ride you for that.

That's fine - get them on car with you and ask them to show you how it's done.

The upshot of that is that, eventually, your route won't go out so heavy.

But that's only going to work if you find your balls.

Makes sense but how does that work when you don't have your own route?

Does mean they will keep you on less heavy routes knowing you will take a full hour everyday?

JL 0513

Ok I am in a bonus center and have a 3 year old and 9 year old.

So yes I just want to get home at reasonable time.

But I'm tired of everyone accusing lunch skippers of "running and gunning" I don't run.

The hour you're giving them each day is $50.

That's $195,000 in 15 years to send both of your kids to really nice colleges student loan free.

That may be worth more to them than seeing them an extra hour a day. Just a thought.

billerz

Does mean they will keep you on less heavy routes knowing you will take a full hour everyday?
No but they will lighten the stop count if they know your going to run it that day, or they will just let you be out late.

UPSER110

They figure out your SPORH on whatever route you are on and figure out how much work to give you based on past performance. Why are you so scared that you arent going to meet their unrelasitc standards??? Ive been on routes that I barely knew and ran 3 hours paid over, but guess what I didn't hear a word about it. I ended the day safe and made some OT.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They figure out your SPORH on whatever route you are on and figure out how much work to give you based on past performance. Why are you so scared that you arent going to meet their unrelasitc standards??? Ive been on routes that I barely knew and ran 3 hours paid over, but guess what I didn't hear a word about it. I ended the day safe and made some OT.
Sup: what happened yesterday?

Me: huh

Sup: you were 3 hours over.

Me: ok

Sup: why were you 3 hours over?

Me: I don't know you tell me?

Rinse and repeat.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Sup: what happened yesterday?

Me: huh

Sup: you were 3 hours over.

Me: ok

Sup: why were you 3 hours over?

Me: I don't know you tell me?

Rinse and repeat.
What if every single day you turn it into a 13 hour day...obviously they'll follow you to see what's going on but if they don't catch you being lazy can they do anything for having low stops per hour

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What if every single day you turn it into a 13 hour day...obviously they'll follow you to see what's going on but if they don't catch you being lazy can they do anything for having low stops per hour
No

If you work by the methods they can't do squat. The union does not recognize their made up numbers.

johnny_hotdog

We had this guy at my center who was in all sorts of bad shape physically and he took forever to get done. He would be 4 hours over some days and he didnt give a :censored2:. Managment hated him. I think that something went down when he was younger and he got fired. When he got his job back they messed up the time study on his route and made the numbers unrealistic so he basically said piss on you guys and went slow all day. They tried time and time again to run him out or fire him but they couldnt. I even had the oncar tell me once that the time study on his route was terrible. We all know the numbers are BS weather they are in your favor or not.

In my opinion if it takes me 10 hrs then it was a 10 hr day. Sporh dont mean :censored2:. 1 stop could be a box right inside your door and the customer could be waiting right at your truck while the next stop could be hidden on the floor somewhere and you have to walk 200 ft to get there. Its all BS. If your willing to work for free so you dont get bothered thats your choice. Just not a very good one in my opinion.

35years

Gravy route
You do realize that they can manipulate the numbers right? SPORH and over/under plan can be "tweaked"
You do realize that they will dispatch based on whether the cut driver that day usually skips his break, right?
You do realize the cut drivers that are slow (and don't skip break) are eventually left on "training" routes or not trained on/put on difficult routes to scratch, right?
You do realize they will eventually cut your dispatch back if you take your break everyday, right?

You are cheating your wife and your kids out of the money you are giving UPS.

Why do you let them manipulate you?
Do your best at a pace you can maintain for the next 30 years. Consider any attempt by management to make you run or falsify your break as an attack against your family. They have no right to pressure you to do so. Every person has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. I guarantee you are not that bad of a driver if you are scratching by burning break. By burning an hour you are probably saving 45-50 minutes because of fatigue from not taking break. We have had drivers that average 2-3 hours over every day...for years on end.

If you don't want the conflict just start taking 5 minutes more each month of the break you are coding off. In 1 year you will be taking all your break.

Last edited:

Dr.Brownz

Just work 13.99999 hours everyday and then run out of hours Friday and start your weekend early

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
Whatever you do, don't prerecord stops and deliver during your lunch if you're taking it. That will mess up the numbers (also add GPS flags when you stop complete off area) more than anything and can potentially add stops to the route in the future. Also, never work during your breaks (comes up on a report) and eat when you get hungry/fatigued (common sense) if you're skipping lunch. You shouldn't worry because your numbers aren't bad by any means.