Not topped out record Express

whenIgetthere

I was a courier for 8ish years, and was so when they instituted the step plan. I had a very strong feeling that Fedex wasn’t going to give us a step every year due to the way it was explained to us at the time. It was a 10 “step” plan not a 10 “year” plan necessarily, this is how my manager broke it down to us when it was announced.

That said, I genuinely did enjoy the job most days, and like you said it was the freedom I had out there on the road to get the job down however I wanted. I had one of the best routes in the country in my opinion with high miles, low stop counts, and smack dab in one of the most beautiful areas in the nation. I still miss it some days when I’m stuck in front of the computer all day like I am now.
I told so many coworkers that it was a ten-step plan, not ten-year plan. Many thought I was nuts. At the time, I was 17 years in and wound up at step 4. Retired 4 years later at step 6.

FedexCares

I told so many coworkers that it was a ten-step plan, not ten-year plan. Many thought I was nuts. At the time, I was 17 years in and wound up at step 4. Retired 4 years later at step 6.
It was all in the wording when they announced it that there was a good chance this wasn’t going to top people out any faster. I actually had one of the few honest managers that told us as much when this was announced, but I’m sure a lot of people had managers that all but guaranteed a 10 year top out going forward.

Thebrownblob

Do you believe that :censored2:? Imagine if we weren’t Teamsters, what do think UPS would have done? They would have ground us up, that’s what.
I’ve always known that I just didn’t know FedEx express was so jacked up. I can’t even fathom why they did not show more interest in being union.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It was all in the wording when they announced it that there was a good chance this wasn’t going to top people out any faster. I actually had one of the few honest managers that told us as much when this was announced, but I’m sure a lot of people had managers that all but guaranteed a 10 year top out going forward.
Most managers were not honest about it and a lot of people bought into the "scheduled' progression nonsense. This is just another example of how dishonest and deceitful FedEx really is. This was designed from the get-go as a means to not give raises while simultaneously presenting 10-Step as some sort of benefit.
Why employees ever believe anything that FedEx says truly escapes me, especially now.

yadig

What I’m hearing here is worse than I even imagine. How could they have been fooled so long so easily?
It’s a slow drip of eroding pensions, split shift pay, night shift pay, healthcare costs slowly going up, etc. The high seniority guys have it fairly good and the newer guys are a constant turnover. They will eventually give all of express to ground and it will get even worse. I’m not sure if contractors are gonna put up with just barley getting by.

vantexan

I’ve always known that I just didn’t know FedEx express was so jacked up. I can’t even fathom why they did not show more interest in being union.
Fred out maneuvered us and got the company covered under the Railroad Labor Act. And then when it looked like a vote was finally going to take place on the Express Employees Relief Act, an attachment to an FAA bill, he threw a reputed $32 million at Democrat Congressmen to vote to table the act to a later date, plus put new requirements on voting for a union under the RLA. Became nearly impossible for us to unionize. The Teamsters walked away from us.

I never expected UPS pay and benefits. Just stick to their promises of topping out in a reasonable time and keep our benefits in place. As I've pointed out before they have overhead flying most freight that UPS doesn't and it's not realistic to give everyone $40hr+ and great benefits. That's what advocates like @bacha29 won't tell you. But in their pursuit of profit they turned a solid job into a joke.

yadig

Fred out maneuvered us and got the company covered under the Railroad Labor Act. And then when it looked like a vote was finally going to take place on the Express Employees Relief Act, an attachment to an FAA bill, he threw a reputed $32 million at Democrat Congressmen to vote to table the act to a later date, plus put new requirements on voting for a union under the RLA. Became nearly impossible for us to unionize. The Teamsters walked away from us.

I never expected UPS pay and benefits. Just stick to their promises of topping out in a reasonable time and keep our benefits in place. As I've pointed out before they have overhead flying most freight that UPS doesn't and it's not realistic to give everyone $40hr+ and great benefits. That's what advocates like @bacha29 won't tell you. But in their pursuit of profit they turned a solid job into a joke.
Please! You’re freaking killing me with the “I never expected ups wages or benefits”. That’s the reason you got screwed

vantexan

Please! You’re freaking killing me with the “I never expected ups wages or benefits”. That’s the reason you got screwed
I've seen the numbers. FedEx Express pays over half its gross on payroll. 25% on fuel. Out of the rest they cover aircraft, trucks, rent, building maintenance, uniforms, etc. What's leftover is gross profits and after paying the taxes on that they pay dividends to shareholders and use the rest for expanding their business. That after tax profit has ranged from $2 billion in very good years to less than $100 million in lean years. The year I looked at the numbers they grossed $52 billion and over half was payroll. It's considerably more now but their number of employees has greatly expanded too. Please tell me how with those kind of numbers they are going to give $40hr or more after 3 or 4 years? With company paid healthcare for not only the employee but his family too? And a pension of $50k or more? You guys have unrealistic expectations but that won't stop some here from accusing me of being a corporate apologist. FedEx is a private company. They can't print money. Nor can they pass all the extra cost onto customers in a competitive market. It's exactly why they started Ground. The cost to them per package is much, much less than at Express which makes Ground freight much more profitable. Ground is an UPS type operation but to their shame FedEx has structured it in such a way to keep unions out and Ground employees wage slaves. And their contractors justify it as these are just entry level jobs and the drivers don't deserve anymore. So please focus your anger on where it's due. FedEx could pay better at Express, but nowhere near what many employees think they can. They could pay a lot better at Ground, but they want those profits for themselves and they are aided and abetted by contractor managers who don't care about driver pay as long as they get theirs.

vantexan

It’s Stockholm Syndrome. Hostages will eventually identify with their captors.
No, it's unrealistic expectations by those who believe the company could pay them a lot better but have no clue as to the real costs of things. I flat out hate what FedEx has done. And I despise those who refuse to look at real concrete numbers and just shout "gimme, gimme, gimme!!"

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I've seen the numbers. FedEx Express pays over half its gross on payroll. 25% on fuel. Out of the rest they cover aircraft, trucks, rent, building maintenance, uniforms, etc. What's leftover is gross profits and after paying the taxes on that they pay dividends to shareholders and use the rest for expanding their business. That after tax profit has ranged from $2 billion in very good years to less than $100 million in lean years. The year I looked at the numbers they grossed $52 billion and over half was payroll. It's considerably more now but their number of employees has greatly expanded too. Please tell me how with those kind of numbers they are going to give $40hr or more after 3 or 4 years? With company paid healthcare for not only the employee but his family too? And a pension of $50k or more? You guys have unrealistic expectations but that won't stop some here from accusing me of being a corporate apologist. FedEx is a private company. They can't print money. Nor can they pass all the extra cost onto customers in a competitive market. It's exactly why they started Ground. The cost to them per package is much, much less than at Express which makes Ground freight much more profitable. Ground is an UPS type operation but to their shame FedEx has structured it in such a way to keep unions out and Ground employees wage slaves. And their contractors justify it as these are just entry level jobs and the drivers don't deserve anymore. So please focus your anger on where it's due. FedEx could pay better at Express, but nowhere near what many employees think they can. They could pay a lot better at Ground, but they want those profits for themselves and they are aided and abetted by contractor managers who don't care about driver pay as long as they get theirs.
I concur only because the structure of FedEx didn’t change. The greed from DM’s up, especially the BOD stockholders, is what sunk the company.