Not topped out record Express

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
It's public knowledge from federally required publishing of all expenditures, taxes, profits, etc of a publicly traded company. They don't get to hide money. That's the point of having accountants keep books. And people have gone to prison for trying to beat the system. The money to do what UPS does just wasn't/isn't there. As I've repeatedly said which you guys won't acknowledge is that Express has much higher overhead, much higher cost per package, from flying most of its freight.

Do you understand why our pension and healthcare were gutted? Why our raises for years were held down to 2% if we got a raise at all? FedEx was using that money to build Ground infrastructure. If the money had been there to give us much better pay and benefits if we had unionized then it would've happened. They had to rob Peter to pay Paul in order to build up Ground. THEY COULD HAVE LEFT THINGS AS THEY WERE AND TOPPED US OUT IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME WITH DECENT PAY AND BENEFITS. BUT THEY WANTED A MUCH HIGHER STOCK PRICE SO THAT THOSE WHO HELD A LOT OF STOCK COULD GET THAT MUCH RICHER. THEY SCREWED TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE OVER IN PURSUIT OF HIGHER PROFITS. And now they have a company with mostly dead end jobs.
IMG_4339.gif

vantexan

Because Politicians did not follow through with what they promised. The Railway act protection was supposed to be taken away. The Obama administration renewed for whatever reason. It wasn’t a FedEx didn’t have the money it was that the Teamsters were not set up to organize national at once. Couple that was a cool reception from many of the employees. It was just not going to happen. There was plenty of money .
No one saying you would’ve gotten a contract, the same as UPS. But they would’ve got a contract, and they would’ve had guarantees and protections.
And you weren't here on this forum in 2010 when MrFedEx and others were hammering the point over and over that FedEx could pay as much as UPS. "Same job, different trucks" they used to say.

It wasn't the Obama administration voting on the FAA bill with the "Express Employees Relief Act" attached to it. It was a Democratic controlled Congress. Fred donated millions to campaign coffers of Democratic Congressmen. Didn't need to do that with Republicans as they were anti union. The Relief Act was to take us off the RLA and put us under the NLRA.

And I was very much pro union. But what I could see shaping up within FedEx is what they did in 1997. They would give everything to the senior employees and tell the rest of us too bad. If it came down to negotiations and the senior employees could see that there was only so much to go around then the mid range employees would be thrown under the bus.

When they started giving midrange employees 2% raises it wasn't long until they started giving topped out employees 3%. In I think it was 2014 I got a 32 cent raise while topped out employees making over $6hr more than me got about 70 cents. Imagine what it feels like to supposedly being given raises to catch top out and watch them pull away. Better pay, more contributions to 401k and the portable pensions, more vacation pay for more vacation weeks, etc. And now it looks like rather than finally coming through for those who stuck with them, as they claimed repeatedly over the years, they're going to finally :censored2: them over for good.

vantexan

Learn about stock buybacks, which increase share prices and add vastly to the value of executive portfolios. FedEx has been guilty of doing this at exponential levels for many years. Top management and pilots have done very well indeed.Thanks, Ronald Reagan.
Don’t forget all of the investment in Ground infrastructure from Express profits.
All of this while Fred picked your pockets by cutting perks, benefits, and not allowing wages to keep pace with inflation.
Get real.
If you had taken the time to read my posts you'd have seen I already mentioned this. Not sure about the stock buybacks though.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It's public knowledge from federally required publishing of all expenditures, taxes, profits, etc of a publicly traded company. They don't get to hide money. That's the point of having accountants keep books. And people have gone to prison for trying to beat the system. The money to do what UPS does just wasn't/isn't there. As I've repeatedly said which you guys won't acknowledge is that Express has much higher overhead, much higher cost per package, from flying most of its freight.

Do you understand why our pension and healthcare were gutted? Why our raises for years were held down to 2% if we got a raise at all? FedEx was using that money to build Ground infrastructure. If the money had been there to give us much better pay and benefits if we had unionized then it would've happened. They had to rob Peter to pay Paul in order to build up Ground. THEY COULD HAVE LEFT THINGS AS THEY WERE AND TOPPED US OUT IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME WITH DECENT PAY AND BENEFITS. BUT THEY WANTED A MUCH HIGHER STOCK PRICE SO THAT THOSE WHO HELD A LOT OF STOCK COULD GET THAT MUCH RICHER. THEY SCREWED TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE OVER IN PURSUIT OF HIGHER PROFITS. And now they have a company with mostly dead end jobs.
The fallacy of your argument is that FedEx cost per package is too high. UPS flies packages too, and remains solvent.
If FedEx had combined truck and rail freight with air freight sooner, the cost per employee hour per package would have been significant. Fear of having to deal with a union colored all the decisions, and ultimately led to the cluster we have now.

vantexan

The fallacy of your argument is that FedEx cost per package is too high. UPS flies packages too, and remains solvent.
If FedEx had combined truck and rail freight with air freight sooner, the cost per employee hour per package would have been significant. Fear of having to deal with a union colored all the decisions, and ultimately led to the cluster we have now.
FedEx has almost three times the aircraft and flies most of its freight. Big difference.

bacha29

Sorry, I was actively involved in the campaign 2007-2009 it had nothing to do with FedEx not having the money it had everything to do with politicians, promising to remove FedEx from the Railway act and then stabbing us in the back most notably the Obama administration. Once that happened, it was effectively impossible for us to organize FedEx all at once. There just wasn’t enough money for that in the Teamsters at the time. Couple that with a less than stellar reception from many FedEx express employees they told us Fred S is going to take care of them we moved on.
Not to defend the Obama administration but it did not take over until 2009. Yes, it should have taken a more pro active approach to getting FDX to sign a union contract but it's priorities were foremost focused on keeping banks solvent heading off a default a total market meltdown resulting in Great Depression levels of unemployment
The objective was noble but the timing fell victim to the worst economic crisis in 80 years.
And as far as FDX is concerned .....it's simply too late now.
Neither the Express employees nor the Ground contractors who survive will have any recourse or legal standing going forward.
You know, the one Raj The Jackal called...."a hybrid workforce" .

vantexan

Wrong. Express averaged just over 6 million/day 2016-2022. Ground averaged about 9 million/day same time frame.
What are you saying wrong to? You said that UPS flies freight too and I pointed out that Express has almost three times the planes UPS has and flies most of its freight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I like how you keep saying "Industry Leading Pay and Benefits" as though it was a thing even though you made it up.
Sorry, but that was one of their regular statements to employees for many years. Perhaps they have enough shame to longer use it, but I doubt it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What are you saying wrong to? You said that UPS flies freight too and I pointed out that Express has almost three times the planes UPS has and flies most of its freight.
FedEx includes Ground. Ground trucks more freight than Express flies.

If the Ground freight had been combined with air freight, like UPS, and delivered by company employees, like UPS, the profit per package would have been much higher, like UPS, and the pay rate could have been much higher, like UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And yet the Teamsters refused to organize any further at Express after 2010. What does that tell you about FedEx Express ability to pay comparable to UPS wages and benefits? If the money was there the Teamsters would've been trying to get their share of it.
The Teamsters know that the 6-letter combination RLA/RTW equals a high likelihood of failure.

yadig

I've seen the numbers. FedEx Express pays over half its gross on payroll. 25% on fuel. Out of the rest they cover aircraft, trucks, rent, building maintenance, uniforms, etc. What's leftover is gross profits and after paying the taxes on that they pay dividends to shareholders and use the rest for expanding their business. That after tax profit has ranged from $2 billion in very good years to less than $100 million in lean years. The year I looked at the numbers they grossed $52 billion and over half was payroll. It's considerably more now but their number of employees has greatly expanded too. Please tell me how with those kind of numbers they are going to give $40hr or more after 3 or 4 years? With company paid healthcare for not only the employee but his family too? And a pension of $50k or more? You guys have unrealistic expectations but that won't stop some here from accusing me of being a corporate apologist. FedEx is a private company. They can't print money. Nor can they pass all the extra cost onto customers in a competitive market. It's exactly why they started Ground. The cost to them per package is much, much less than at Express which makes Ground freight much more profitable. Ground is an UPS type operation but to their shame FedEx has structured it in such a way to keep unions out and Ground employees wage slaves. And their contractors justify it as these are just entry level jobs and the drivers don't deserve anymore. So please focus your anger on where it's due. FedEx could pay better at Express, but nowhere near what many employees think they can. They could pay a lot better at Ground, but they want those profits for themselves and they are aided and abetted by contractor managers who don't care about driver pay as long as they get theirs.
Ok

vantexan

FedEx includes Ground. Ground trucks more freight than Express flies.

If the Ground freight had been combined with air freight, like UPS, and delivered by company employees, like UPS, the profit per package would have been much higher, like UPS, and the pay rate could have been much higher, like UPS.
If you'll go back and read all my posts on this thread I've been talking about Express and its overhead flying packages which is why they created Ground to give them more profit because the cost per package of flying is much higher than the cost per package of trucking the freight. Before there was ever a Ground FedEx couldn't pay UPS comparable wages but that was what was being said on here back when there was a chance at a union. I agree 100% that if they ran the company similar to UPS they could pay better but that would mean most freight being trucked including what Express flies now. As is FedEx Express is an air freight opco with much higher costs per package.