Now Is the Time

T

tdu

Now Is the Time for
Best Contract Enforcement Ever

On Aug. 30 the IBT announced that the master UPS contract was approved, with 72 percent voting in favor (see story). Three supplements were narrowly rejected and have to be renegotiated: Detroit Area Local 243, Local 926 and Western Pennsylvania.

Because in 1991 we won the Right to Vote on supplements and riders, the master contract has not yet been ratified, to preserve the bargaining power of the UPS brothers and sisters in Michigan and Pennsylvania. We should all stand with them.

Turnout in the contract vote was the lowest in history. Less than 80,000 votes were counted. The range for UPS contracts between 1990 and 1997 was 93,000 to 118,000. Of course UPS has grown dramatically during this time.

Only 38 percent of UPS Teamsters voted. This is the first time that the voting rate has dropped below 50 percent in UPS national contract balloting. The low turnout is particularly striking for a contract that the IBT has described as the best ever.

Why Some Locals Voted No
A review of the local by local vote on the contract indicates that where members were involved in discussing certain important issues, the contract was rejected or passed narrowly. Participation of members also increased.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, several locals voted no on their supplement, including San Francisco Local 278 and Richmond Local 315. Other locals such as Oakland Local 70 passed it, but with a very low turnout. Members here are concerned about several issues, including the demand for a true cost of living clause in their supplement. Seattle Local 174, with a good dose of rank and file power, voted down the contract.

In the Central and Southern Regions, covered by the freeze in the Central States Pension plan, the Central supplement was rejected in Detroit (and several other Michigan locals), Cincinnati, Des Moines and several other locals in Iowa, Indiana and Kentucky. The Central narrowly passed in Kansas City, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo, Lexington and some other midwest locals.

In the South the pattern was similar. Where there was more membership networking and distribution of TDU literature, and where the members were aware of the pension freeze, the Yes vote was not high. The Southern Supplement was actually rejected in the state of Tennessee, adding the votes in the Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Jackson locals. High no votes on the supplement also came in from several other locals across the south, from Amarillo to Shreveport to Arkansas. The three locals in North Carolina (covered by the Central States Plan) passed the contract but by a low margin.

In New York Local 804, the supplement passed by 1293 to 1283 or 50.2 percent. Members there are demanding to know the process for a recount and review of challenged ballots, since a swing of only five or six votes would cause rejection and renegotiation in a large supplement. The contract was rejected in some other eastern locals such as Syracuse, N.Y. and Worcester, Mass. The Western Pennsylvania supplement was narrowly rejected, with a big no vote coming from the largest unit, Local 30. The Central Pennsylvania supplement narrowly passed (while the master passed easily there) due to anger over the pension.

Although the International Union and UPS both spent millions of dollars to sell the contract, which contains decent raises, in many areas a majority actually voted to hold out for a better contract for the future. It was because of a rank and file information network. Thats the kind of rank and file power we need to build nationwide to strengthen our union.

U

upslocal480

I'll tell you one of the reasons turnout for voting was low. The union failed to send out thousands of ballots to its members. I had to make many phone calls in able to have mine mailed. But of course it arrived two days before the deadline.

U

upsmule

"Although the International Union and UPS both spent millions of dollars to sell the contract, wich contains decent raises,"

PUUULEEEEEZ! Desent raises? Me making just 5 more dollars an hour 6 years from now IS A JOKE! ups and hoffa just gave each other a big fat wet kiss! And as for the drivers....bend over!

T

trouble1903

Be glad you got to vote. I tried to get a ballot, but was told I cound't vote because I had a withdrawl card in this year. I was not a "member in good standings" because I was out on workers comp. during this year. I was back and paid up with my dues. I've only missed one meeting in all the years I've been with the company!!! And what you would think is a "right" is taken away.

One of the BA's tried to tell me that you had to be a in good standing for 2 years to be able to vote.

Now does anyone have any info on that stupid rule??

D

dammor

Ok Guys,
Here we go again. Point is, it's over. Contract is ratified, we are working, Thank God. I hope the hell I can retire before the next contract comes up. I thought the one before this one was a big pain in the rear, and it was because we walked around the parking lot with signs saying I'm not even sure what. This one was even worse to me because it would seem the work force I am around and hearing from at this site has become greedy to a point of almost being stupid. Does anybody here realize that if the company doesn't do well then we as employees and shareholders will not fair well either? Perhaps it is because I have been working brown for 23 years, but I'm thinking if the attitudes of some I hear from here don't get finally get it there will be no UPS to retire from. I'm sure I'll get there, but ya'll may not. Just go to work.....

B

browncow

Good point Dammor,

All UPS employees have a vested interest in the success of UPS. I just don't understand how this site has recently attracted all these people that are full of despair about their jobs. I, for one, am grateful for finding a job at UPS. I have watched my neighbors go through all kinds of problems with their employers downsizing. Now that CF has gone under it is really clear to me that we are all responsible for making UPS successful. Those of you that feel that you are being treated unfairly and compare UPS to the Nazis amaze me. There are no easy jobs at UPS, if you are not prepared to work hard and suck it up you will be miserable there, but it is nothing compared to the situations of many other human beings. In exchange for your efforts you will be well compensated and secure. Those of you hell bent on undermining morale with your constant complaining are trying to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Think about it...

(Message edited by browncow on September 17, 2002)

D

dammor

browncow,

Finally I hear a voice that makes sense to me.
Thanks......

A

archibald

ALL I CAN ADD IS THAT ALOT OF 25-30 YEAR DRIVERS IN THE SOUTH WERE HOPEING FOR A LITTLE RAISE IN THE PENSION AND THEY WERE GONE.IT DID NOT HAPPEN. I AM STILL 15 YEARS AWAY SO I AM NEUTRAL ON THIS BUT I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE GOT SOMETHING. 25 YEARS IN A PACKAGE CAR IS WORTH MORE THAN 2500 A MONTH MINUS TAXES. I THINK HOFFA SOLD OUT BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION. ANY CONTRACT THAT YOU DON'T LOSE ANYTHING IS GOOD BUT WITH ALL THE PROPAGANDA FROM BOTH SIDES IT IS HARD TO GET A CLEAR PICTURE. I AM RELIEVED WE DIDN'T STRIKE BUT I THINK TO MUCH POLITICS ARE INVOLVED ON BOTH SIDES THESE DAYS, UPS AND UNION MANAGMENT DON'T LOOK MY CUSTOMERS IN THE FACE EVERYDAY, I DO. FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.

U

upsmule

yo dammor...and browncow...I couldn't agree more! BUT, the things you both mentioned, although true, don't address the FACT that ups / teamsters could have done us all a little better. Period. Ups is a wonderful co. to work for, I actually LOVE my job, REALLY! They could have done better though....bottom line.

D

deliver_man

Hey Mule,
A little bird told me that you might be getting a new center manager. Your old one is sitting home wondering if he still has a job. Fixing time cards....will they never learn?

U

upsmule

yep, I talked to the same little bird there deliver_man....I'm kinda worried that you obviously know who I am though! Is my ranting and raving that I do here, that obviouse around the building too? Any way...this is one happy friday for this center, especially for "us" bonus boyzzz!There was just no reason for this guy to be the way he has been! And I'm feeling a lot more positive about the "higher ups" here at united parcel service....that guy's like him really AREN"T what they want to see in order to get that all important promotion. Another little bird told me that it wasn't just the changing time card number's that got him.....it was how horribly he treated a certain ex-supervisor that went over his head twice, requesting a transfer, and now quiting! REGUARDLESS!!!!!!!!!! HALELEUAH! (spell check?) The joker is gone. Good ridence you freekin A-hole! Now I can actually enjoy going to work again.........later man\clipart

P

proups

TDU: I don't have a beef with you personally, but the Teamster faction that you represent is really out of line with it's misinformation.

There were many members that had a really hard time getting ballots. Why? I don't know. But if you compare this vote to the so called strike vote, it looks like the truly positive UPSers that wanted to vote the contract in did the same thing the negative UPSers did with the strike vote - they made it happen!

You mention only two "issues" in your post: the freeze on the Central States Pension and the cost of living raise as to why we should "support our Teamster brothers" in those locals who have not passed their supplments and try to vote down this contract. Ridiculous!

The Central States Pension freeze has absolutely nothing to do with UPS. In fact, UPS increased it's contribution to that plan over the next six years - read your contract. The union called for that freeze plain and simple. It has nothing to do with the UPS contract.

Cost of living - In 2008, UPS drivers that average 45 paid hours per week will earn approximately $70,000 per year. Bonus drivers will do that and not even work that 45 hour week. I fail to see a problem with that. Find another job that will do that for you and requires no college degree. By the way, UPS will pay for you to get that degree!

TDU = Teamsters Definitley Uninformed

W

workinman

"by the way, ups will pay for you to get that degree"...WHERE DO I SIGN UP FOR THAT!

O

over9five

"by the way, ups will pay for you to get that degree"...WHERE DO I SIGN UP FOR THAT!

If you're a driver, YOU DONT ! What are you going to do, take Saturday classes? Shoot over to class right after you punch out at 7:30? Or maybe your supervisor will move some of your work to one of your brothers so you can punch out at 6:30 so you can make your class (yeah, right).

Great benefit for part-timers, doesnt work for drivers.

T

trouble1903

They do it in my center, granted they do put up a fuss. Or you can take classes on line.