Now we can't sheet pickups !!!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This morning's PCM started like the normal BS we hear until we got some new news. If your pickup has an end of day, only sheet the end of day. If there is no end of day, you only type in how many you picked up and don't sheet a package. If you're picking up an on-call air, you don't sheet the package and just type how many you took.

This doesn't make sense on any level !!!! For as long as we had diads, we sheeted packages to keep track of their progress. Apparently, the geeks in Atlanta feel that just dumping all the pieces off our trucks onto the belt is good enough. There is basically no proof that a package was picked up by us now, outside the end of day. Can anyone make sense of this stupidity in a technical way ? Every month, there's a new rule that comes out that makes every veteran driver just more confused !!!!!

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
This morning's PCM started like the normal BS we hear until we got some new news. If your pickup has an end of day, only sheet the end of day. If there is no end of day, you only type in how many you picked up and don't sheet a package. If you're picking up an on-call air, you don't sheet the package and just type how many you took.

This doesn't make sense on any level !!!! For as long as we had diads, we sheeted packages to keep track of their progress. Apparently, the geeks in Atlanta feel that just dumping all the pieces off our trucks onto the belt is good enough. There is basically no proof that a package was picked up by us now, outside the end of day. Can anyone make sense of this stupidity in a technical way ? Every month, there's a new rule that comes out that makes every veteran driver just more confused !!!!!

Ask to see the 360 methods for recording pickup stops & pkgs. They are the standard methods that should be followed everywhere and they've been in place for quite some time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have never scanned pickup pieces. I was unaware that anybody did. I just scan the end of day, the pieces themselves get scanned at the hub at night when they are processed.

DS

Fenderbender
This morning's PCM started like the normal BS we hear until we got some new news. If your pickup has an end of day, only sheet the end of day. If there is no end of day, you only type in how many you picked up and don't sheet a package.
????? sheet a package? Sheeting is scanning and delivering.
If you're picking up an on-call air, you don't sheet the package and just type how many you took.

We were told not to scan pickup pkgs almost 10 years ago.
If that's what you mean.
I only scan on calls for phones and laptops because I want the customer to see it's progress,but,get real,those days when you pick up 500 pkgs ,it's unrealistic to scan them all.

satellitedriver

Heff,
The only pickup pkg's I have ever scanned are NXDA, ARS, RS, and OCA,
this is how I was instructed.
If,"the man" tells me not to do it, I won't.
The new technology beats the hell out of the "old school" paper days of picking up NXDA.
Delivering NXDA was even a greater pain.
Sig for every package, pull the paper tag, sign forms, fill out a paper time card..ect.......
For the most part, the info is already in the system, before we ever pickup any pkg.
I am not paid to worry about how UPS makes a profit.
I am only paid to drop off and pickup.
That's why we love Logistics.
:onitswaysmiley:

menotyou

bella amicizia
If there is an end of day, there is no need to scan the actual package. The tracking numbers were recorded during the process of creating the end of day. If there is no end of day, it should be scanned; but-it is their game, their rules. Sat is correct, as usual, about 'the man'. It's there ball game, we are just paid for the sweat on our brow.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I know not to scan packages that have an end of day, but they are NOW telling us not to scan packages with a shipping document. I have some pickups that still write out NDA letters.
I already mentioned not scanning on call airs but they are telling us not to scan packages in our letter boxes ! The only packages they want us scanning are the ones in Special Counts. These 3 scenarios aren't making sense to me since I am accountable for these packages, at least I thought I was for 12 years now.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If we are going to be held accountable, they are going to be scanned as far as I am concerned. If they say we arent, fine.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Heff,
I had a need to review the Scan Pickup packages procedures back in 2007 and the methods at that time was to only scan:
Drop box packages
Walk-ups (someone hands you a package(s) with UPS compliant Smart labels)

The Origin Scan the packages receive once unloaded kicks off all UPS tracking and Billing processes.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Heff,
I had a need to review the Scan Pickup packages procedures back in 2007 and the methods at that time was to only scan:
Drop box packages
Walk-ups (someone hands you a package(s) with UPS compliant Smart labels)

The Origin Scan the packages receive once unloaded kicks off all UPS tracking and Billing processes.

Nothings changed in my center, same methods. Sounds like someone has taken it a step to far and read into the pickup method. Not you Hef.

UPSGUY72

I scan Internationals, ARS, RS OCA, everything in a letter box and any package that the label has a package with a bow on it in the bottom corner no matter where you pick it up.

Logisticly this idea is genious and will be a real game changer for ups. It's got to be right up there with the introduction of next day air.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If there is an end of day, there is no need to scan the actual package. The tracking numbers were recorded during the process of creating the end of day. If there is no end of day, it should be scanned; but-it is their game, their rules. Sat is correct, as usual, about 'the man'. It's there ball game, we are just paid for the sweat on our brow.
​This is not necessarily true. We have several P/U accts that get pre-hits. UPS store is one of them. I am not going to scan just the EOD when someone else has done a pre-hit. There are several factors in this. The most important being HI VALS. If I scan the EOD that has a hi val, I want verification of who actually picked up that hi val. If I get it, then I will sign off on it. If I don't get it then I'm not signing off on it. I will not take responsibility for something that I did NOT pick up.

The other thing is pcs count. I want an accurate accounting of the pcs picked up. If I am the only one scanning a pick up, then I will use only the EOD. If it was pre-hit, I scan every pc.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
​The other thing is pcs count. I want an accurate accounting of the pcs picked up. If I am the only one scanning a pick up, then I will use only the EOD. If it was pre-hit, I scan every pc.

If I get to a P/U account that another driver has pre-hit, I simply "guesstimate" how many pieces are left. Scanning each piece takes too much time, particularly if there are smalls that the customer has put in totes or smalls bags. If the "count" winds up being off by a bit, so be it.