Numbers -VS- Customers

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
This may be true in your runner gunner mind but it is not true in my UPS world.

I am a part of the community I deliver to. My cell phone number is given out to anyone who asks for it. I have keys to multiple businesses and garages. I know the people who need help getting the packages in the door and I wait for them
I pride myself on being consistent in my delivery and pickup times for my accounts in spite of the splits management moves to my route.

Fed Ex and Fed Ex ground are outsiders in my area and they don't pick up at any businesses in the five small towns I deliver. I have 15 pick up accounts in this area.

Service does matter to some people, and service in my little area is the only thing I can control.

You keep running and gunning and I' ll just continue to be embarassed we hold the same job.
thats great,, me too,, but i just do it faster than you

Packmule

Once had a sup riding with me, REFUSED to let me reattemp a NDA, sig required when we drove right past the house! You run back with that wine after telematics gets in, you'll be accused of stealing miles.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You know, everyone keeps blaming the stock holder, like they are not UPSers.

And if you check, that aint so.

While there are a lot of stock holders that do not work for UPS, their stock only has one vote per share. UPSers stock, stock that can not be sold to the public without losing the right, has 10 votes per share. That way, no matter how many shares we sell, UPSers keep control of the company.

So, bottom line is everyone keeps blaming the mysterious share holder......Hell, thats us.

d

Re-Raise

You know, everyone keeps blaming the stock holder, like they are not UPSers.

And if you check, that aint so.

While there are a lot of stock holders that do not work for UPS, their stock only has one vote per share. UPSers stock, stock that can not be sold to the public without losing the right, has 10 votes per share. That way, no matter how many shares we sell, UPSers keep control of the company.

So, bottom line is everyone keeps blaming the mysterious share holder......Hell, thats us.

d

Before we were public we set the stock price ourselves. Now the public sets our price on the open market. They may not have the voting rights but if the profit projections don't impress the analysts look out.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Menotyou, while you are good enough to bring up a fair point, your take is a bit off.

The driver MUST be courteous to the customer all the time. It is they that must take the complaining of the customer, and keep doing his job the best he can, with the tools and time allowed. So, as a driver, if you are discourteous to the customer, all hell gets raised, and you can and should lose your job.
d

Danny,
Many drivers are not courteous. Its not in the contract to be nice, either. On the other hand, I have customers who call me "giggles", "laughy", and "smiles". I try very hard not to project my sad day onto them. It isn't their problem. Many of my co-workers do not feel the same. I know. When we are dispatched into different areas, I hear the complaints. Yet, the opposite is not true. My co-workers who deliver to some of my stops because of dispatch, report back how the customers think I am "lovely" and a pleasure to be around. It is either in your nature or it isn't.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Once had a sup riding with me, REFUSED to let me reattemp a NDA, sig required when we drove right past the house! You run back with that wine after telematics gets in, you'll be accused of stealing miles.

I had a Adult Signature Required VA medicine delivery that I reattempted and was able to get rid of yesterday. Customer was very happy that I reattempted and I have one less to worry about today.

tourists24

yesterday all of the drivers had a review of how much our overallowed hours cost the company last year. I still got paid the same though :) . They can make the numbers say anything they want

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
yesterday all of the drivers had a review of how much our overallowed hours cost the company last year. I still got paid the same though :) . They can make the numbers say anything they want

I wonder if we drivers will ever get to see, or offer input for, a review of how much our management team's incompetent dispatch decisions cost the company last year? Something tells me I shouldnt hold my breath on that one. People who live in glass houses.....

soberups

They can "accuse" me of anything they want. Proving it at a panel hearing is another thing entirely. It would be worth the loss of a day's pay just for the comedy value of getting to watch them try to fire me for the crime of making service on a package. "Yes, I'm guilty of running up my miles, I drove an extra 1.4 miles on a 90-mile-per-day route in order to get a cancer patient her medication, go ahead and throw the book at me."

soberups

You know, I get that this is no longer Jim Casey's world. The cost of labor is higher, the cost of fuel is higher, and we cannot necessarily run the business in the maner that he would have chosen. We offer a wide variety of service levels at different price points, and to an extent at least the customer is able to chose the level of service that they wish to pay for.

But with EDD and PAS and now a chiseled-in-stone Stops Per Car metric that will be chased right off of the edge of a cliff, we have taken things a bit too far. In today's UPS, the needs of the customers who pay our salaries now mean absolutely nothing.

The system is seriously flawed when the PDS and the center management team will intentionally and knowingly send their drivers out with an utterly hopeless dispatch...for no other reason than to generate the Stops Per Car metric that is being demanded of them.

Package Level Detail was great when we finally implemented it because it forced us to be accountable and quit sending out 400-stop "abortion cars" that would bring 250 stops back at 11:30 at night. It forced us to focus on making service instead of merely trying to "get the packages out of the building". Well, the abortion cars are back once again, and our obsession with impossible metrics and maintaining the illusion of a functional dispatch is back also. And the customers are paying the price.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Good point. Glad I've never owned stock in this company.
I would guess by that statement you dont own any stock at all. Because over all, that was pretty ignorant.

UPS stock, like all other stock, has had it shining moments. Its also had times where the shield is a bit tattered.

But I do know many many people that are millionaires because of UPS stock.

d