O RYAN

ArcherUTR

My greatest O Ryan day in two years was Wednesday. Any reasonable person who studied that trace would immediately shut down the program. Instead I was only two miles over my target, and no one gave a :censored2:.

I could have beat the solution by 10-15 miles.

ArcherUTR

But I do have to admit that the solution to the prior day was a pretty damn good one.

In general though in order to make this thing work, it's all about UPS matching the time allowance to the driver - and not the other way around. But UPS is never going to do that.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree. Mine is set at 18 sporh. My best was 16.69, and that was a miracle day. And it still said 1.5 late. Back when i used to look

rod

Retired 22 years
O Ryan-------that's good for a laugh. I sure hope to OP realizes its Orion and was just joking. -------------then again?

oldngray

nowhere special
von-ryans-express.png

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
When you say raises a lot of peoples paycheck, who do you mean Drivers?

Yes, he means drivers.

ORION will turn 9 hour routes into 10 hour routes, by adding more stops, thinking a drivers miles will decrease so extra stops are necessary, thus reducing drivers needed.

But in reality, ORION is forcing drivers onto the 9.5 list, thus creating the need for those drivers that ORION eliminated, plus some.

ORION is an epic failure that UPS refuses to give up on.

Even if they can manage to get it to work somewhat, 10 years down the road, they will have spent billions on it and will never be able to recoup the money by saving a couple of miles per route.

It will take hundreds of years to recoup the cost.

It's called return on investment. ORION is a major loser, and always will be.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The new version of "O Ryan's Express". Watch as one leader fights the machine that is management, against trace stupidity...

829GMm.gif

ArcherUTR

This is only partially true. Orion is not meant to be followed stop for stop but instead is meant to be a tool to make your day more efficient.

This would be nice if it were the truth. But when they threaten us with discipline for not being 90% compliant with trace, then it is not a tool.

The boolean algorithm for staying on trace is not properly communicated to the drivers. There is nowhere in the board to follow the number of breaks.

It is not possible to give an accurate number of breaks-allowed when leaving the building in the morning - there are suites, Apartments, misloads, splits not pulled. At the end of the day they may ask you to give your work away or go and help somebody else. Most drivers are not highly educated and mathematics is not a part of the job requirement.

UPS is simply talking out of both sides of its mouth in regards to safety, customer service, and efficiency.

But mostly at this point this is all a dog and pony show for investors. So all the reports need to be right showing how the drivers are using the software and UPS is saving $$$.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
This would be nice if it were the truth. But when they threaten us with discipline for not being 90% compliant with trace, then it is not a tool.

The boolean algorithm for staying on trace is not properly communicated to the drivers. There is nowhere in the board to follow the number of breaks.

It is not possible to give an accurate number of breaks-allowed when leaving the building in the morning - there are suites, Apartments, misloads, splits not pulled. At the end of the day they may ask you to give your work away or go and help somebody else. Most drivers are not highly educated and mathematics is not a part of the job requirement.

UPS is simply talking out of both sides of its mouth in regards to safety, customer service, and efficiency.

But mostly at this point this is all a dog and pony show for investors. So all the reports need to be right showing how the drivers are using the software and UPS is saving $$$.
Well said. :goodpost::bpotd: