Oberman's a Bad Ass

diesel96

I know this will infuriate some of our audience but keep in check that K O wrote this "special comment" intentionally for the use on his show on Wed may 14th. Not neccessarily the opinion of msnbc. You'll need about 12/13 minutes to watch the whole segment.

brett636

There is a good reason Keith Overbite continues to be squashed by real news commentators such as Bill O'Reilly in ratings. This little rant is a sparking example of why nobody wants to watch him.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have never heard of this guy, and I consider myself a news junkie. I don't waste a second of my time with MSNBC, this is another reason their ratings are in the cellar.

diesel96

I take it since you'all squashing the messenger and the network that you don't have a problem with the content. Or maybe I should have reduced it to 20-30 second sound bites.

[brett636
There is a good reason Keith Overbite continues to be squashed by real news commentators such as Bill O'Reilly in ratings. This little rant is a sparking example of why nobody wants to watch him]

Bill O'reily "real news commentater"...........:rofl:
Enquiring minds want to know.....R U serious?

satellitedriver

I take it since you'all squashing the messenger and the network that you don't have a problem with the content. Or maybe I should have reduced it to 20-30 second sound bite.
Content?
A rant, laced with hyperbole, holds little value.
The messenger is a hack.
$2,000.00 suit, $600.00 glasses, $300.00 tie and a die job that has to cost at least $200.00 a week to maintain.
The same can be said of the other messenger's on the "right" side.
Yep, I gladly squash the messenger, because there is no message that has any merit.
I am truly concerned for our nation.
We have come to this infighting amongst ourselves and we will pay the price.

bad company

semi-pro
"Terrorism inside Iraq, is your creation Mr. Bush" - Keith Olbermann

Need I even comment? Keith Olbermann is an idiot. He couldn't hack it at ESPN and his "news" show is a joke. Actions speak louder than words, and the ratings clearly show that Bill O'Reilly > Olbermann.

BrownShark

Banned
Keith Olbermann's Ratings on the Rise; Fox News Drops Out of the Top Ten Most Watched Cable Channels

by Timothy Sexton, published Dec 22, 2006
Published Content: 2,477 Total Views: 2,125,826 Favorited By: 184 CP

What a month it has been for the right wing religious conservative cabal attempting to subvert the very meaning of America. First voters overwhelmingly reject their God-anointed leader Pres. George W(orst) Bush. Then The Nativity Story is rejected not only by pagans, Jews and Muslims but most Christians. Now comes word that not only has their beloved mouthpiece of fair and balanced news reporting-Fox News-dropped out of the top ten most watched cable channels but, oh horror of horror, Keith Olbermann's nightly reminder that Bush was anointed by the Supreme Court and not God is single-handedly responsible for increasing the viewership of MSNBC 25% over this time a year ago.

Just in case you haven't been paying attention-and poll numbers suggest that a frighteningly large number of Americans still aren't-Keith Olbermann's show on MSNBC at 8:00 PM Eastern underwent a tremendous shift right around the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. That night Keith Olbermann delivered not only the speech of the year but the speech of the millennium. So far. It was a Special Comment that excoriated Pres. Bush for every lie, hypocrisy and dumbheaded policy move he's initiated since the attacks. Overnight, the spirit of Edward R. Murrow was reborn. And finally real patriotic Americans had a mainstream media show they could watch without having to be restrained by family or loved ones when the urge to throw something hard and solid at the television screen overcame them.

Yeah, O'Reillys doin great!

LMAO!

BrownShark

Banned
Tuesday Sep 11, 2007
Olbermann's Win A Surprise Even Inside MSNBC

Phil Griffin knew it would happen, he just didn't think it would happen this quickly. On Friday night, MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Olbermann was the top-rated cable news show in the 25-54 demo. That means Olbermann beat his cable rival, FNC's The O'Reilly Factor and its host Bill O'Reilly. That's a first.
OlbermannA_9.10.jpg
"The real insight I had was over the summer," said Griffin, the NBC News senior VP who manages the Today show as well as MSNBC. Griffin tells TVNewser, Olbermann "maintained his core audience, so when the mass viewers came back after Labor Day...it's just surprising it happened so quickly."

O'Reilly and all the FNC primetime programs still dominate the total viewer numbers. So why is the demo win such a big deal? "It's everything, the demo is everything. It's where we make our money," said Griffin.
This is going to be a busy autumn for MSNBC. In a few weeks, the cable net's employees will move out of their New Jersey offices and move in with their broadcast counterparts in New York City. And the Olbermann bump helps. "For years MSNBC struggled to find someone to be the tent pole and lead the way," Griffin says. "In 11+ years, I don't think there has been a better moment."
Griffin should know, he helped start MSNBC and watched as FNC shot past CNN to #1 where it remains today. And he says Bill O'Reilly rightly gets a lot of the credit. "O'Reilly did it for Fox in 1999, and helped take it to where it is today." But, he adds, "It's clear now, it's a two-person race."
When asked to comment for this story, Fox News spokesperson Irena Briganti wrote, "Does Mediabistro know you're on two payrolls — MSNBC's and theirs?"
(of course, I haven't been on MSNBC's payroll since I left the company in January.)

BrownShark

Banned
O'Reilly's ratings continue to freefall

Reported by Chrish - May 5, 2006

We would never gloat, and gloaters will be called for gloating and placed in our Gloaters' Hall of Shame. That said, it appears that the fine folks at TVNewser could be called for smearing Bill O'Reilly because they published the following facts, er, smears:

TVNewser reports
"Young viewers just don't watch The O'Reilly Factor like they used to. April marked Bill O'Reilly's lowest-rated month in the 25-54 demographic since August 2001.*
His 415,000 demo viewers in March was a new low, but O'Reilly managed to lose a few more in April, averaging 412,000 in the demo. Here's his post-Katrina track:
Sept: 1,115 / Oct: 518 / Nov: 468 / Dec: 460 / Jan: 472 / Feb: 458 / Mar: 415
But this trend started long before the hurricane. for O'Reilly, April's numbers reflected his lowest demo rating in almost five years.
Among total viewers, O'Reilly delivered a respectable 2,102,000 million viewers for the month. But that, too, was low -- the lowest, in fact, since July of 2004 (when he had 2,042,000). Click here
to feast your eyes on O'Reilly's monthly averages since 2001..."
* Notable that O'Reilly, like his president "Trifecta", benefitted from the attacks of September 11th.
And in case you're wondering, Keith Olbermann's 25-54 numbers were up to 242,000 for April, continuing to climb. I'm just saying.

brett636

O'Reilly's ratings continue to freefall

Reported by Chrish - May 5, 2006

We would never gloat, and gloaters will be called for gloating and placed in our Gloaters' Hall of Shame. That said, it appears that the fine folks at TVNewser could be called for smearing Bill O'Reilly because they published the following facts, er, smears:

TVNewser reports
"Young viewers just don't watch The O'Reilly Factor like they used to. April marked Bill O'Reilly's lowest-rated month in the 25-54 demographic since August 2001.*
His 415,000 demo viewers in March was a new low, but O'Reilly managed to lose a few more in April, averaging 412,000 in the demo. Here's his post-Katrina track:
Sept: 1,115 / Oct: 518 / Nov: 468 / Dec: 460 / Jan: 472 / Feb: 458 / Mar: 415
But this trend started long before the hurricane. for O'Reilly, April's numbers reflected his lowest demo rating in almost five years.
Among total viewers, O'Reilly delivered a respectable 2,102,000 million viewers for the month. But that, too, was low -- the lowest, in fact, since July of 2004 (when he had 2,042,000). Click here
to feast your eyes on O'Reilly's monthly averages since 2001..."
* Notable that O'Reilly, like his president "Trifecta", benefitted from the attacks of September 11th.
And in case you're wondering, Keith Olbermann's 25-54 numbers were up to 242,000 for April, continuing to climb. I'm just saying.

Its amazing how the truth never seems to make it into your posts. Like a good little commie you continue to make up news to support your invalid point.

Check these stats out:

6PM - P2+ (25-54)
Special Report with Brit Hume – 1,356,000 viewers (237,000)
Situation Room- 519,000 viewers (125,000)
Race to the White House- 623,000 viewers (244,000)
Mad Money – 262,000 viewers (98,000)
Prime News- 198,000 viewers (89,000)
7PM - P2+ (25-54)
Fox Report w/ Shepard Smith – 1,372,000 viewers (290,000)
Lou Dobbs – 708,000 viewers (180,000)
Hardball – 707,000 viewers (280,000)
Kudlow & Company- 246,000 viewers (76,000)
Glenn Beck – 477,000 viewers (181,000)
8PM - P2+ (25-54)
The O’Reilly Factor- 3,193,000 viewers (694,000)
CNN Election Center– 561,000 viewers (151,000)
Countdown w/Olbermann – 1,183,000 viewers (452,000)
Fast Money- 180,000 viewers (67,000)
Nancy Grace – 579,000 viewers (171,000)
9 PM - P2+ (25-54)
Hannity & Colmes – 1,965,000 viewers (461,000)
Larry King – 1,036,000 viewers (158,000)
Verdict w/Dan Abrams – 656,000 viewers (218,000)
Deal or No Deal- 454,000 viewers (137,000)
Glenn Beck- 440,000 viewers (150,000)
10 PM P2+ (25-54)
On the Record – 1,353,000 viewers (334,000)
Anderson Cooper– 1,078,000 viewers (258,000)
Countdown w/Olbermann – 570,000 viewers (250,000)
Donny Deutsch- a scratch w/ 59,000 viewers (a scratch w/ 27,000)
Nancy Grace – 451,000 viewers (204,000)
11 PM P2+ (25-54)
The O’Reilly Factor (repeat) - 1,227,000 viewers (414,000)
Anderson Cooper – 737,000 viewers (198,000)
MSNBC Special- 251,000 viewers (137,000)
Mad Money- a scratch w/ 62,000 viewers (a scratch with 34,000)
Showbiz Tonight– 419,000 viewers (201,000)

Notice how every top rated show from 6 pm to 11 pm are all on Fox news.

satellitedriver

Tuesday Sep 11, 2007
Olbermann's Win A Surprise Even Inside MSNBC

Phil Griffin knew it would happen, he just didn't think it would happen this quickly. On Friday night, MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Olbermann was the top-rated cable news show in the 25-54 demo. That means Olbermann beat his cable rival, FNC's The O'Reilly Factor and its host Bill O'Reilly. That's a first.
A lot of people go to the circus, just to watch the clowns act the fool.

diesel96

According to a Pew Research survey, the most knowledgable Americans are regular viewers of “The Daily Show” and “The Colbert Report” and avid newspaper readers. At the other end of the spectrum are viewers of Fox News and morning shows.
Jon Stewart frequently protests that his goal is to be funny rather than purely informative, yet people who watch his show, according to Pew, are more knowledgeable than viewers of the Lehrer “NewsHour” on PBS.

The problem with the Fox News Channel besides it bolsters support to the Republican Party and conservative views. The problem is that Fox News distorts the news to serve its purpose so much, that fact and reality are lost in a sea of half-truths and innuendo.
The charts below from the PIPA study show the channel by channel viewership breakdown of those who held misperceptions of the Iraq War:

Certainly, the data indicates that watching other networks can also foster misperceptions, but Fox News sits embarrassingly at the top.

scratch said:
[ "I consider myself a news junkie"
"Along with anybody else that thinks the Huffington Post or Daily Kos is worth looking at".]

A real "news junkie" as you claim, expands his/her viewership to all outlets of news....Yes, Fox viewership is high and cater to conservatives but have been declining since Katrina and especially during the presidential primaries. By discouraging others not to expand their news info and relying on the Fox News Channel as your only source of news is like using MAD Magazine as a legitimate source of news. The Fox News Channel's reporting style is so biased and skewed that trying to obtain any real information from a news report is quite challenging. Fox News provides info-tainment and opinion-ated reporting rather than reality-based news coverage.

Satellitedriver[/B said:
]
A lot of people go to the circus, just to watch the clowns act the fool.

Exactly Satellitedriver !

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I gave up on watching TV news years ago, I read pretty much everything now. I watched some of the debates, and I watched O'reilly's interview of Clinton, outside of that I've never seen his show except for some clips on youtube. I've never seen Olbermann either.

I read the Washington Post everyday on my lunch break, and online I scan the AP headlines and the BBC for some international perspective. My wife subscribes to Salon, which I read for Glen Greenwald and the cartoons :wink2:.

TV news is awful these days, the bias on both sides just seems to get worse and worse. It's well on it's way to becoming talk radio with graphics. I hear people rooting for their favorite news channel like it's a sports team, as if the news is a game that "they" have to win so the "other side" can lose, and I wonder if anyone realizes that the loss of objectivity that occurs when the news just becomes one more piece of spinnable propaganda means that we all lose. Except for people like O'reilly and Olbermann, who are making millions off this whole pathetic spectacle. You can have it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Fox News has been successful because they do offer other points of view, unlike the biased ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN. An example of this was when part of the President's interview on MSNBC was edited to sound like he was saying something else last week.

I was on a cruise the other week and the TV on board had the Denver local stations, CNN Headline News, and something like CNN World. And the internet connections were slow too. I thought I was going to go crazy. CNN World had some show titled something like "The Arab View of the US Elections". I could care less of what they think, they don't even have elections there. With due respect to the folks in Colorado, I was thinking I should be watching stations out of Miami to see the weather while I was out in the Caribbean, not worrying about the chance of snow on my morning drive to work.

I gave up on our local paper, The Atlanta Journal Constitution a couple of years ago. I love to read, but I saw no sense in paying salaries of a bunch of the fools they have on their editorial staff. No wonder Newspaper readership has sunk the last few years. And Newsweek hires the "Daily Kos" founder as a member of its Editorial Board? I do watch O'Reilly sometimes, although I don't agree with some of his views. I do admire his push to help get "Jessica's Law" passed to get these perverts off the streets that the liberal judges like to let off. Sean Hannity and Alan Colmes sound like puppets to me spouting the same talking points over and over again. I don't listen to Rush either, I don't carry a radio to work and he is more of an entertainer than an expert. I get most of my news from the legitimate wire services, not some biased website full of fools.