Off Clock Sort

Ecw21411

I don't sort or look at Orion until I've started ,I see so many drivers looking at Orion and fixing before start time.... I just don't get

billerz

Plenty of guys in my center look at Orion before the pcm, I don't see it as working off the clock. I go into my truck early to put my stuff up and take ask the loader where he put the bulk stops. I don't sort or check air until after the pcm

Grey

I have before. Especially when thrown on a route I don't know with a bunch of air that loaded where the normal driver wants it. Just put it on shelf 1 or my seat damnit!!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Ask upstate about sorting off the clock. He admits to doing it every single day. Must be nice to write ups a huge check over the course of a long career

J

jibbs

We had a couple driver's who would pass a football in the AM before we started, off the clock. One morning the one driver jammed/broke his finger. Workman's comp claim. On their property, they are responsible for your injury. We are no longer allowed to pass footballs on property.

No offense meant to you if that driver was/is a buddy of yours, cementups, but that driver's kind of a d-bag for going for a workman's comp claim for an injury sustained playing, not football even, but :censored2:ing catch.

I don't think I'd ever go for workman's comp unless I felt the company itself was at fault for my injury or if I'd go thousands of dollars of debt trying to cover medical costs myself. Neither is likely to happen but they're both possible....

I just feel like dude jammed his finger and saw an easy couple of paydays. I understand that thinking, but I definitely don't respect it.

We have a guy at our center who has worked preload since Carter was president. If he sees any driver working off the clock, he will threaten a grievance.

We can grieve that? With a chance of winning the grievance, I mean? I always thought that was kind of an SOL position and grievances were between Teamsters and management-- not Teamster-on-Teamster.

I regularly get sent home about 15min-30min before air runs simply because the drivers have shown up and are told to wrap up their loads themselves, and it's crazy because lately I make sure I'm always one of the last two people on my belt pulling packages for my entire side-- I've recently been moved to a much more conventional belt than the doghouse I've been in for the past year-- while they send all but one other loader (to cover the other side) on the belt home. [That previous sentence is long af, bros, but I checked and checked and checked and that ma:censored2:a is not a run-on. Proud of myself for that.] Once the drivers start trickling in, though, we get the boot real :censored2:in' quick.

I know I can grieve when supervisors start doing that, but I had no clue I could grieve drivers working off the clock.... Don't think I would unless I was feeling extra spiteful that day, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

8000Shelf

I'll be put out in a spare truck frequently. It's tempting to check the oil, coolant and for the hand cart, fuel card, chains (winter) off the clock when you have NDAs. I've gotten to the point though where I would rather talk to the center manager about lates than do all of it for free.

Anthonysg0113

No offense meant to you if that driver was/is a buddy of yours, cementups, but that driver's kind of a d-bag for going for a workman's comp claim for an injury sustained playing, not football even, but :censored2:ing catch.

I don't think I'd ever go for workman's comp unless I felt the company itself was at fault for my injury or if I'd go thousands of dollars of debt trying to cover medical costs myself. Neither is likely to happen but they're both possible....

I just feel like dude jammed his finger and saw an easy couple of paydays. I understand that thinking, but I definitely don't respect it.

We can grieve that? With a chance of winning the grievance, I mean? I always thought that was kind of an SOL position and grievances were between Teamsters and management-- not Teamster-on-Teamster.

I regularly get sent home about 15min-30min before air runs simply because the drivers have shown up and are told to wrap up their loads themselves, and it's crazy because lately I make sure I'm always one of the last two people on my belt pulling packages for my entire side-- I've recently been moved to a much more conventional belt than the doghouse I've been in for the past year-- while they send all but one other loader (to cover the other side) on the belt home. [That previous sentence is long af, bros, but I checked and checked and checked and that ma:censored2:a is not a run-on. Proud of myself for that.] Once the drivers start trickling in, though, we get the boot real :censored2:in' quick.

I know I can grieve when supervisors start doing that, but I had no clue I could grieve drivers working off the clock.... Don't think I would unless I was feeling extra spiteful that day, though.
When PAS came in, the same guy led a loader grievance against the unload for going faster due to there was no need to read zip codes any more.

J

jibbs

We have a guy at our center who has worked preload since Carter was president. If he sees any driver working off the clock, he will threaten a grievance.
When PAS came in, the same guy led a loader grievance against the unload for going faster due to there was no need to read zip codes any more.

You have any idea if he wins that stuff, though? That second example you just mentioned sounds real flaky to me. Like the dude's just jaded and thinks filing grievances is "getting back at them," whoever he thinks "them" might be.

Seniority's a bitch sometimes but I really do stand by it.

But seriously, I think grievances are only won when there are provable contract violations that involve management. Your co-workers working too fast? Lol, better keep up, in my opinion... filing a grievance is just dumb in that situation-- to me at, least.

I thought when employees had any kind of violations, they just started down the long road of progressive discipline at UPS.

PT Car Washer

The grievance would be against management for allowing drivers to work off the clock loading their package cars.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It is illegal to work for a "for profit" company for free.

I've had a union steward tell me if I do it again, I'll be sent home.

I still do it. I take 10 minutes to straighten the damn mess out....am the first to leave after the PCM...and that 10 minutes saves me an extra 45 minutes. Mostly always under 8 and always make bonus.

Dumb, dumb, dumb

barnyard

KTM rider
I think that every driver sorts at the start of their career. I did. I do not anymore. I also do not look at Orion maps or download EDD until after the start time. I am kind of surprised at the number of really high seniority guys in my building that look at the Orion maps before start time.

If I have a problem with Orion, I talk to a supe at the end of the day, while I am still on the clock.