Off The Street Hires - Suggestions Needed

J

jelly_donuts

I visit this board regularly and have received some helpful information from everyone here so I thought I would throw this out there. I am relocationg to the Indianapolis area soon and would really like to land a driver's position at one of their two hubs. I know about the inside hiring policy but was curious to know if anyone here was hired from the outside.

What is the best route to take in attempting to snag a job with UPS? Visit the hub and drop off a resume? What was the hiring process like and the turn around time for you? How about the training process? What is the competition like for outside hires?

I have a law enforcement background but have heard nothing but great things about UPS and am trying to do whatever it takes to get aboard. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for all replies.

JD

S

steamheat

Where have you heard great things about UPS?
It couldn't be from anyone that works there.

D

ddomino

JD, UPS is a great place to work, as long as you do what they say, when they say and how they say. If you, like me, want things to be done right for the right reasons, and will speak your mind, UPS will be a long hard road. The pay and benefits, in managements mind make it ok for them to treat people rotten. They follow drivers, sometimes set traps when they believe someone is stealing, have employees sign resignation papers under duress, and violate the words of the contract daily.

I have made a very good living working at UPS. The price I pay is to be unhappy at work every day. When I see a wrong, I speak up and try to make it right. This has gotten me told I have a bad attitude, and if I don't like it here I should "go work at Fedex". Well my answer to that is why should I go there when it could be better here? Lets change and do what is right for the right reasons. Instead the company justifies what it does to make it right. The road has recently become harder even for those who bleed brown. I pitty the young drivers who have 20 or 22 more years to go. I don't know how they will survive

Hope this helps

O

over9five

JD dude, You don't want to work here.

You'll never have dinner with your family.

Its high stress, run all day, never hear the words "nice job".

Contracts coming up, its gonna be ugly.

Do something in law enforcement. Have a good life. Its too late for us...

T

toonertoo

Jelly off the street is few and far between. And obviously not many on here. There either has to be a very smart HR person to recognize you for one of the few openings, or you have to know someone. It isnt easy to go to Full time from the street. Your application should herd you through. But I doubt to the driver position. Keep hounding the HR dept. where you are.

S

steamheat

Jelly, Could be that the outside hires on the board don't want to identify themselves. I can tell you that outside hires are not generally embraced with brotherly love.

O

over9five

It must suck if your so bad at your job that they pass you by for an outsider...

I try to understand your hate, but is it really the outsiders fault?

H

hr_guy

I always see everyone here speaking so poorly of their job. I've been driving over a year now and I love the job. I also worked in the hub on all the shifts and also in the office for a while (6 years altogether). I've always enjoyed my job. It hasn't been all candy and roses (trust me i've seen some dark days), but in the end I like feeling that I've accomplished things at work, and this whole driving gig...it feels great to play santa claus everyday.

W

wannabeups

When I worked there 6 years ago as a seasonal driver, I found ALL of the drivers to be friendly, helpful, compassionate and caring.

T

toonertoo

I have never seen outside hires treated badly. They actually have a much harder time as they dont have a clue to our lingo, and then add the driving and the time commitments they have to learn. Why would they be treated differently? I was considered an outside coming in from pt mgmt. At first everyone considered me an outsider, but no one ever treated me badly. And there werent too many women at that time and still are not in my center, but I wasn't given a hard time by anyone.

O

over9five

I've never even heard of outside hires being treated differently than anyone else. Once you're here, you're one of us. No one cares where you came from.

O

ok2bclever

JD, In my thirty plus years experience coming in off the street via seasonal driving has been the only way to do it.

In the past, seasonal driving was the path into UPS from the street as that allowed the company to see what they we,re truly getting in a real test of a month of work during what use to be the most stressful month of delivery driving which is much more accurate than an interview.

The company has always looked for up beat, positive, can do attitudes in hiring.

In the last decade they have had to be more satisfied with just drawing in fairly warm bodies what with the physical work load of part-time opportunities here versus the relatively mediocre pay level offered for that brutal work often with minimum hours at sleep cycle interrupting hours.

It is hard to find quality people willing to interrupt their normal sleep cycle for 31.50 before taxes to perform the intense level of physical work that a part-time UPS job entails.

This is reflected in the lack of quality coming into the part-time workforce and the high turn over of the same.

Regardless, the primary path to driving is putting in the dues as a part-timer.

Those not willing to do this face a real lottery pick chance of coming into a full-time job off the street and frankly it requires not just what you do, but who you know.

D

ddomino

BD is formerly customer service. They are the men and women who visit customers looking for new business. They also used to be go to people if there was a problem with pick up, delivery, damages, lost packages, etc, but I'm not sure they still deal with those issues. They are the Sales Force for UPS

A

always

BD is facing a major personnel cut after the end of this year. Most of the small accounts (under $1k a week) will have to call the 800 number for anything concerning their account. Should be interesting. UPS wants more sales leads, better service, but to try and save a few dollars in the short term decides to cut a large part of their AE's

O

ok2bclever

The guys and gals in my center in that end of the business call themselves account execs now.

I tell them they use to be called customer service, but had to change it because they weren't doing a good enough job at that to business development and then had to change their name again for the same reason.
biggrin.gif

Same reason that loss prevention changed their name to security.

Not sure what they are going to change theirs to next.
thumbsup.gif

PS - JD asked how to get a full-time driver's job.

B

brownmonster

I'm an off the street hire and believe me it was earned. You're treated good if you work hard. Slackers are useless no matter how they got in.