Off to Courier School

vantexan

I have no problem or difficulty going by stated policies. It's their company and they pay me.

My understanding about electronics, phones, etc. is that they're not allowed because they distract you from driving. If and when I ever use something, I'll be parked on a safe place with brakes and flashers on. Still, I'll ask my manager about this.

The nav function on my phone doesn't offer verbal directions, so I'd need to look at it step by step. Not willing to do that.
No matter how big your rt is there are only so many roads on it. Eventually you'll get to where you'll visualize an address by just looking at it on pkg. Don't worry about GPS, a map of the area is all you'll need. Newhires tend to over think things, but it's really only a matter of a week or two to be comfortable. After a month you'll know just about everything you can know about it.

whenIgetthere

You can't beat an old school map. It always works, never loses service. It's a lot easier to plan out a route if you can get a big picture. The only time I use GPS is if a street is new and not on the map.

I was a cover driver three separate times. It's a lot easier if you make a copy of a map and highlight the streets.

I agree, with a map, you can laminate it. Then mark the stops with an erasable marker. You can then get "the big picture" with just a glance at your map. And the batteries on my maps never die!

BoxDriver

I have a gps in my truck on all the time. Mostly for the clock. The only time I use it for addresses is at the beginning of the day if I have a street I'm not familiar with. Once the gps shows me where the street is I then mark it on my laminated map. Also I have updated the mapping in the gps and there are still newer roads not in it that are on my paper maps. Never have used it for turn by turn navigation on my current route either.

hypo hanna

Imo, Turn by turn navigation is a crutch that only delays someone from becoming an effective courier. With practice, you should be able to look at a map and memorize the turns to your destination. Just like you should have memorized your next 3 to 5 stops. Sadly, fedex has givin up on developing drivers with those kind of skills. Better to pay as little as they can and hope DRA will get them there on time. Problem is, DRA can't adjust on the fly. Weather, changes in traffic patterns, added oncall pickups or reattempts have to be calculated into the route after the driver is on road and those kind of skills take time and practice to acquire.

This is way I think primarily pickup routes are more challenging then deliveries. On calls are booked throughout the evening with one hour commitments and lots of unknown variables (pieces, weight etc often with incorrect info from the call centers). All of this has to be accounted for by the driver. This is why I thought it was incredibly dumb of fedex to cut out shift differential pay. If anything, they should have increased it to try and retain more experienced drivers on the PM shift.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Imo, Turn by turn navigation is a crutch that only delays someone from becoming an effective courier. With practice, you should be able to look at a map and memorize the turns to your destination. Just like you should have memorized your next 3 to 5 stops. Sadly, fedex has givin up on developing drivers with those kind of skills. Better to pay as little as they can and hope DRA will get them there on time. Problem is, DRA can't adjust on the fly. Weather, changes in traffic patterns, added oncall pickups or reattempts have to be calculated into the route after the driver is on road and those kind of skills take time and practice to acquire.

This is way I think primarily pickup routes are more challenging then deliveries. On calls are booked throughout the evening with one hour commitments and lots of unknown variables (pieces, weight etc often with incorrect info from the call centers). All of this has to be accounted for by the driver. This is why I thought it was incredibly dumb of fedex to cut out shift differential pay. If anything, they should have increased it to try and retain more experienced drivers on the PM shift.

I always loved the challenge of a PM route. Not so tedious as a delivery route.

You talking about experienced drivers on PM, makes me think of what a mgr told me recently. Seems one of our new hire, not much English speaking couriers called him one evening and said she was having problems getting in back door of an office building to pickup the dropbox. He asked if she tried the front door. No. LMAO! Can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:

MassWineGuy

He asked if she tried the front door. No. LMAO! Can't make this stuff up.

That's truly funny. Why would you start at the back door, anyway, unless the customer specifically said so?

As for FedEx paying as little as possible, $17.74/hour isn't $34/hour, but it's not as low as it could be. I think that to work full time at UPS as a driver means giving up a very large chunk of your life and humanity because the company is often so overbearing and pressures drivers so hard. It's definitely a choice and I applaud those who can make it work for them.

For what I wanted, a part time permanent job, this FedEx gig is fine.

MassWineGuy

It all boils down to, as long as it works for you and you come in with your eyes open, that's ALL that matters. Only YOU know what works for you and your family, not random strangers on an internet site. I hope it works well for you. :)

That's how I feel. So far, I like it. The people I work with are pleasant, and managers don't breathe down my neck or yell at me. Today's my first day solo on the route. Oh boy!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That's how I feel. So far, I like it. The people I work with are pleasant, and managers don't breathe down my neck or yell at me. Today's my first day solo on the route. Oh boy!

One thing about working at FedEx, EVERYONE I've ever known who has left fedex for whatever reason, has always said the same thing... They missed the people.

I've always found that with almost all of the many mgrs I've had through the years, if you screw up give them a heads up. They appreciate it. I've never been disciplined for making a mistake and telling them. That way they aren't blindsided. I mean from an over looked pkg at the end of the day to a run in with a customer. Our courier/management relationship is much different, on average than driver/management at UPS. Not as confrontational. Not saying you won't get an a-hole now and then.