Oh, the irony

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why do you care so much about management and their inability to make your life as a driver more efficient

We're all part of a circus. Take your money, maximize it, and laugh all the way to the bank

I take pride in my job and I want the company I work for to succeed.

It is frustrating to me when that success is continually hampered by problems that could easily be solved if only the will existed to solve them.

I suppose it would be easier to just step back from it all, collect a paycheck and not give a damn... but I am simply not wired that way.

The contract states that we "will perform our duties in a manner that best represents the interests of the company." For me, that often means telling my management team things that they would rather not hear.

redshift1

+

Sober,
I apologize in advance because I'm going to be harsh and I'm not here to pick a fight. However, its my opinion that stress is a part of life. Deal with it and act accordingly. We all have to deal with the same world and if you and you're body can't deal with it, its not my problem.

You may succumb to stress as I succumb to cancer. People live and deal with it. Most people are going to suffer and die a bad death. Most likely, its going to happen to me so I'm not going to whine on this forum about stress and dying.

The world so full of P whussies who expect to not feel any pain anymore? Sorry, but its nature and you need understand that its a harsh ending for everything that is blessed enough to live...

You sound like the half-wit cabbie Wizard in Taxi Driver here's a direct quote from the movie.

"Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for thirteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in Brooklyn. One guy lives in Sutton Place. You got a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? I envy you, your youth. Go on, get laid, get drunk. Do anything. You got no choice, anyway. I mean, we're all friend. More or less, ya know."

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Does anyone know an hourly emp that has taken stress disability leave, paid or otherweise? I do not, although I do know people who quit from the stress and others who consider it a lot. Has it ever been considered an on the job injury by a physician/psychiatrist and been an actual workers comp claim? It would seem to me it must have been somewhere. Look at all the people on anti depressants and blood pressure meds that we work with each day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your constant attempts to paint me as an IE hater are missing the point entirely.

We need an IE department...but we need it to support operations by providing accurate, realistic data.

From my perspective...we dont have that.

Fair enough.

I guess my perspective on this is like a couple other managers on BC (not tie) and that is that the numbers that IE puts together and provides to operations are just that - numbers or a tool that is provided to management for them to run their operations.
IE does not run this company ... operations management does.
Operations management is the Operations Management Committee member, Region Manager, District Manager, Operations Manager, Division Manager and Center Manager.
If these people choose to rely on this tool (IE numbers) to manage their operations rather than empowering the center manager and his/her management team, then they are to blame ... not the IE dept.
The centralization of decision making and control at UPS is the underlying problem here. It goes against one of the key principles specified in the UPS Policy Manual that UPS decentralizes the management down to the district level.

Basically, what you are saying is that the manufacturers of guns (a tool) are the problem rather than the people who take this tool and abuse it.

Fuel for thought.

Last edited:

LED

Does anyone know an hourly emp that has taken stress disability leave, paid or otherweise? I do not, although I do know people who quit from the stress and others who consider it a lot. Has it ever been considered an on the job injury by a physician/psychiatrist and been an actual workers comp claim? It would seem to me it must have been somewhere. Look at all the people on anti depressants and blood pressure meds that we work with each day.

I know a driver (25 years + seniority) who went out on stress leave (per doctors orders). I am not sure if he was paid by workers comp or not.

He came back for a little while and then went out to have knee surgery. He has been gone over a year now with that.

trickpony1

You might want to search "acute occupational anxiety".

Just a thought........

helenofcalifornia

We had a driver go out on stress though this was 10 years ago. I know it was comp because this guy would never go out on disability.

Interesting that IE (and how and why IE) would determine that stress is not a work comp related claim. Let's see how long that one flies.

whiskey

There is a Center Manager in my district who has taken stress-related disability leave.

I'm not making light of this; stress is a real killer on the body and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. This center manager is a human being with a family and my sincere hope is that he makes a speedy recovery.

The ironic part of the situation...is that this guy was transferred back into Operations after spending over 15 years...in IE.

The center he is now in charge of is a complete train wreck, with huge production issues. The impossible expectations that are stressing this guy out...may very well be the same impossible expectations he was a part of creating during his time in IE. Now that the shoe is on the other foot and he is having to try and make the numbers work in the real world ...the stress is literally killing him.

I hope he gets better and finds a way to manage his career without destroying his health.

I hope the powers that be choose to view this as a "teachable moment." I hope they choose to stand behind and support this man instead of throwing him under the bus and replacing him with a younger, cheaper person who will inevitably fall victim to the same issues if nothing changes.

There is a lesson to be learned here. Will we learn it?
My condolences. It's getting awfully crowded under that bus.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
There is a Center Manager in my district who has taken stress-related disability leave.

I'm not making light of this; stress is a real killer on the body and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. This center manager is a human being with a family and my sincere hope is that he makes a speedy recovery.

The ironic part of the situation...is that this guy was transferred back into Operations after spending over 15 years...in IE.

The center he is now in charge of is a complete train wreck, with huge production issues. The impossible expectations that are stressing this guy out...may very well be the same impossible expectations he was a part of creating during his time in IE. Now that the shoe is on the other foot and he is having to try and make the numbers work in the real world ...the stress is literally killing him.

I hope he gets better and finds a way to manage his career without destroying his health.

I hope the powers that be choose to view this as a "teachable moment." I hope they choose to stand behind and support this man instead of throwing him under the bus and replacing him with a younger, cheaper person who will inevitably fall victim to the same issues if nothing changes.

There is a lesson to be learned here. Will we learn it?

Has anyone seen tie anywhere? Hmmmmmmm....:happy-very:

satellitedriver

Stress can be a real thing. In 1987, I had to lock the door of the center manager's office and talk him down from a "breakdown".
Nothing has changed at UPS ,except the technology.
Sadly, the new improved technology is being wasted.
GIGO, is now the SOP.
Just call me, Alfred.
newman-alfred-3.jpg
What, me worry?

trickpony1

Has anyone seen tie anywhere? Hmmmmmmm....:happy-very:

You might check the dry cleaners to see if he has picked up his red and blue leotards and cape with the big S on the front.

He may have gone on a secret mission hence the silence on BC.

(am I funny or what?)