Ohio local 348 gets special treatment?

C

chuchu

I
The language in the contract is retro active so i would grieve now and when the contract does get ratified it will go back. We have grievances over the issue now. The interpretations you are getting i don't feel are accurate with regards to everything you mentioned above.The MMI language has been in the Southern Region for several years without incident but the law would supersede the contract language and someone would also have ADA language we have several coworkers that use it. The safety, service and methods was put in there so rouge center manager would not be able to take someone out of service for not wearing a seatbelt, not grabbing a handrail or not delivering a NDA on time like they have tried to do in the past. I might agree with you on the communications you received but not that didn't happen with me.
I disagree with the MMI analogy because of first hand experience. We have an employee that was labeled MMI due to a workers comp injury. He ran out of months for benefits and applied for the ADA status. It took forever and the BA wouldn't meet with the company to discuss a remedy to get him working in any capacity. The stalling and time off without pay put his family in great financial risk and since he didn't "work" for the prior 12 months he was disallowed unemployment.
I know there was an EEOC ruling against the company (or several) and he submitted his situation to them but it's been months and the process has dragged on and on. Yes, he has a good lawyer working for him but even the best lawyer is stonewalled and the game continued putting his wife and two children plus his mental state at risk.
I know the MMI language has been in the southern region for years but we didn't want it in the central. Period. It's one more speed bump in the process and for some reason the company wanted it there so you KNOW what that means. The employee just took a payoff and left the company. The BA didn't do anything for him except get his vacation pay AFTER he filed a grvnce for it bcuz the company wouldn't pay him for the time accrued while on WC. He was a great guy and a 26 yr employee that had an injury that was fixable, but costly, and the co refused to remedy him.

As for the single day vac coverage driver issue, they havent tried that here yet. I heard the abuses are worse down south. I'm not sure that is correct but we had an OMS transfer here from Georgia and she said the company has more "control" over the employees down south versus up north where the economy is better (?).
The service, safety and methods addition in art 17 was viewed by every steward in our division (that we talked with) as grey and a risk. There was not one BA in our division that interpreted that change the way you have. That's what we have to deal with, a huge lack of support. In fact, before the first vote, one BA in our state told a group of drivers that if we didn't ratify the contrac that they were a bunch of "over paid cry babies". Does that clarify our situation? I am thankful that some of you have great support. Many of us in the central region don't know what that is and like I said before, it makes shadows even darker. There is a huge lack of trust that is not from members being "cry babies" but being stuck in the back for years up here.
The time to fight bad and grey language changes is before they become a part of your contract because we all know what happens if we fail. In this period of great co prosperity we should not be fighting the IBT (and each other) over a bargaining agreement. There is a lot of anger accrued because of the half truths told to members in the PR campaign and disrespect from the IBT. We're not mad at the company. Our frustration comes from union bosses that treat us like dumb sheep. I'd love to stick these BAs in a P10 on a metro route for six months. Kroger's would run out of Kleenex tissues daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stonefish

II disagree with the MMI analogy because of first hand experience. We have an employee that was labeled MMI due to a workers comp injury. He ran out of months for benefits and applied for the ADA status. It took forever and the BA wouldn't meet with the company to discuss a remedy to get him working in any capacity. The stalling and time off without pay put his family in great financial risk and since he didn't "work" for the prior 12 months he was disallowed unemployment.
I know there was an EEOC ruling against the company (or several) and he submitted his situation to them but it's been months and the process has dragged on and on. Yes, he has a good lawyer working for him but even the best lawyer is stonewalled and the game continued putting his wife and two children plus his mental state at risk.
I know the MMI language has been in the southern region for years but we didn't want it in the central. Period. It's one more speed bump in the process and for some reason the company wanted it there so you KNOW what that means. The employee just took a payoff and left the company. The BA didn't do anything for him except get his vacation pay AFTER he filed a grvnce for it bcuz the company wouldn't pay him for the time accrued while on WC. He was a great guy and a 26 yr employee that had an injury that was fixable, but costly, and the co refused to remedy him.

As for the single day vac coverage driver issue, they havent tried that here yet. I heard the abuses are worse down south. I'm not sure that is correct but we had an OMS transfer here from Georgia and she said the company has more "control" over the employees down south versus up north where the economy is better (?).
The service, safety and methods addition in art 17 was viewed by every steward in our division (that we talked with) as grey and a risk. There was not one BA in our division that interpreted that change the way you have. That's what we have to deal with, a huge lack of support. In fact, before the first vote, one BA in our state told a group of drivers that if we didn't ratify the contrac that they were a bunch of "over paid cry babies". Does that clarify our situation? I am thankful that some of you have great support. Many of us in the central region don't know what that is and like I said before, it makes shadows even darker. There is a huge lack of trust that is not from members being "cry babies" but being stuck in the back for years up here.
The time to fight bad and grey language changes is before they become a part of your contract because we all know what happens if we fail. In this period of great co prosperity we should not be fighting the IBT (and each other) over a bargaining agreement. There is a lot of anger accrued because of the half truths told to members in the PR campaign and disrespect from the IBT. We're not mad at the company. Our frustration comes from union bosses that treat us like dumb sheep. I'd love to stick these BAs in a P10 on a metro route for six months. Kroger's would run out of Kleenex tissues daily.
The MMI language existed prior to the language taken out of the CRT by law. Did he apply for LTD? He may have been entitled to it. He also should have filed a grievance for them delaying the process. As far as your BA not doing the ADA check list and calling you a cry baby it's not right you are entitled your opinion not matter what the issue. We aren't always going to agree with each other on everything. I'm sure you don't agree with your wife on everything. But we are entitled to our opinions. Your BA should have been able to explain it to you and your brothers and sisters better and maybe their wouldn't be the distrust. I would just say try not to blame that on the IBT our BA's had the opportunity to ask questions and voice their opinion's when they went to the 2 person meetings. A P10 is too small and Costco has bulk tissues. DId you BA work for UPS?

C

chuchu

The MMI language existed prior to the language taken out of the CRT by law. Did he apply for LTD? He may have been entitled to it. He also should have filed a grievance for them delaying the process. As far as your BA not doing the ADA check list and calling you a cry baby it's not right you are entitled your opinion not matter what the issue. We aren't always going to agree with each other on everything. I'm sure you don't agree with your wife on everything. But we are entitled to our opinions. Your BA should have been able to explain it to you and your brothers and sisters better and maybe their wouldn't be the distrust. I would just say try not to blame that on the IBT our BA's had the opportunity to ask questions and voice their opinion's when they went to the 2 person meetings. A P10 is too small and Costco has bulk tissues. DId you BA work for UPS?
He applied for ltd but was denied. OUR BA didn't call me a cry baby. I posted that a BA in our state said that to a group of drivers that are n his local.
The MMI language existed in your region, not mine.
The BA was sticking up for the TA initially but after the first round of voting he admitted there were changes in it that he didn't like either. HE didn't agree with the IBT either on issues we rejected. Therefore, the members weren't the only ones pointing fingers at the IBT leadership.
No, our BA never worked at UPS. When he told us at the medical into meeting that he wishes that He had those benefits. I told him we needed a couple of drivers so why doesn't he apply? He knew I was saying that if you want the bennies you got to do the work. That was the end of the conversation.

Stonefish

He applied for ltd but was denied. OUR BA didn't call me a cry baby. I posted that a BA in our state said that to a group of drivers that are n his local.
The MMI language existed in your region, not mine.
The BA was sticking up for the TA initially but after the first round of voting he admitted there were changes in it that he didn't like either. HE didn't agree with the IBT either on issues we rejected. Therefore, the members weren't the only ones pointing fingers at the IBT leadership.
No, our BA never worked at UPS. When he told us at the medical into meeting that he wishes that He had those benefits. I told him we needed a couple of drivers so why doesn't he apply? He knew I was saying that if you want the bennies you got to do the work. That was the end of the conversation.
Regardless of your local or any other the comment is unecessary. I am in Ohio and although the language isn't in our contract the law has been there for seve years regarding MMI and supersedes the contract. They did it already to one of your members prior to the language.

II disagree with the MMI analogy because of first hand experience. We have an employee that was labeled MMI due to a workers comp injury. He ran out of months for benefits and applied for the ADA status. It took forever and the BA wouldn't meet with the company to discuss a remedy to get him working in any capacity. The stalling and time off without pay put his family in great financial risk and since he didn't "work" for the prior 12 months he was disallowed unemployment. I know there was an EEOC ruling against the company (or several) and he submitted his situation to them but it's been months and the process has dragged on and on. Yes, he has a good lawyer working for him but even the best lawyer is stonewalled and the game continued putting his wife and two children plus his mental state at risk. I know the MMI language has been in the southern region for years but we didn't want it in the central. Period. It's one more speed bump in the process and for some reason the company wanted it there so you KNOW what that means. The employee just took a payoff and left the company. The BA didn't do anything for him except get his vacation pay AFTER he filed a grvnce for it bcuz the company wouldn't pay him for the time accrued while on WC. He was a great guy and a 26 yr employee that had an injury that was fixable, but costly, and the co refused to remedy him. As for the single day vac coverage driver issue, they havent tried that here yet. I heard the abuses are worse down south. I'm not sure that is correct but we had an OMS transfer here from Georgia and she said the company has more "control" over the employees down south versus up north where the economy is better (?). The service, safety and methods addition in art 17 was viewed by every steward in our division (that we talked with) as grey and a risk. There was not one BA in our division that interpreted that change the way you have. That's what we have to deal with, a huge lack of support. In fact, before the first vote, one BA in our state told a group of drivers that if we didn't ratify the contrac that they were a bunch of "over paid cry babies". Does that clarify our situation? I am thankful that some of you have great support. Many of us in the central region don't know what that is and like I said before, it makes shadows even darker. There is a huge lack of trust that is not from members being "cry babies" but being stuck in the back for years up here. The time to fight bad and grey language changes is before they become a part of your contract because we all know what happens if we fail. In this period of great co prosperity we should not be fighting the IBT (and each other) over a bargaining agreement. There is a lot of anger accrued because of the half truths told to members in the PR campaign and disrespect from the IBT. We're not mad at the company. Our frustration comes from union bosses that treat us like dumb sheep. I'd love to stick these BAs in a P10 on a metro route for six months. Kroger's would run out of Kleenex tissues daily.
You guys ever heard of paragraphs???????

Stonefish

And across from the Hoffos. They were drinking heavily at the same watering hole with the UPS snakes.
I think the paragraphs were in the cages next to the measters (those who only care about themselves not their union) and the pond with the anti union scum floating at the top

C

chuchu

I think the paragraphs were in the cages next to the measters (those who only care about themselves not their union) and the pond with the anti union scum floating at the top
Do you mean rtw or the No voters?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chuchu

I do not mean the no voters. They as much as I disagree with them are entitled to their opinions.
That's good. But people make up the union and everyone who has valid reasons for not agreeing with how the IBT has handled this TA also has the right to a voice in the rank and file. That creates checks and balances if done with a right motive. What is good for the union should be a benefit for all but suspicion runs high due to the communication problems incurred during this last six months and I can't blame it on the members.

Stonefish

That's good. But people make up the union and everyone who has valid reasons for not agreeing with how the IBT has handled this TA also has the right to a voice in the rank and file. That creates checks and balances if done with a right motive. What is good for the union should be a benefit for all but suspicion runs high due to the communication problems incurred during this last six months and I can't blame it on the members.
We with agree with other on the "valid reasons" you posted. Not everyone has valid reasons some like to be negative just for their own political gain. I am not saying it is you i'm just saying to constantly be negative is wrong. The communications could have been better and i believe brother Hall said that in the video we al received. He took responsibility. I give him credit for being a man and not blaming other people.

​On another note i hope the grammar police don't write me a ticket for not making paragraphs.

We with agree with other on the "valid reasons" you posted. Not everyone has valid reasons some like to be negative just for their own political gain. I am not saying it is you i'm just saying to constantly be negative is wrong. The communications could have been better and i believe brother Hall said that in the video we al received. He took responsibility. I give him credit for being a man and not blaming other people.

​On another note i hope the grammar police don't write me a ticket for not making paragraphs.
I was just kidding. I'm not qualified to critique anyone's punctuation or spelling. That's for sure.