Old Injury causing problems again

jeepupser

I have worked at UPS for more than 7 years. I have been in small sort for about 5. I used to sort in small sort until I accidentally injured my wrist outside of work (causing me to go on disability for 6 months). Before I got hurt I was a really good sorter and a good bagger. When I got hit there was some serious injury to my wrist ( I tore a ligament that will never be fully healed, broke off some cartilage and had a ganglion cyst that was removed). Now, my doctor cleared me to go back to work, even though my left wrist is still at 25% of the strength it used to be at. My wrist normally hurts throughout the day but during the work hours my wrist hurts. The supervisor over my area knows that , but my part-time supervisors keeps getting on me about going faster, even though I have told him that I have a bad wrist.

I am thinking about having a talk with the supervisor in charge of my area and asking for another position, because my wrist is a hindrance to my work. Do you have any thoughts or advice on what I could say without making me sound like I am refusing to do my job?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have worked at UPS for more than 7 years. I have been in small sort for about 5. I used to sort in small sort until I accidentally injured my wrist outside of work (causing me to go on disability for 6 months). Before I got hurt I was a really good sorter and a good bagger. When I got hit there was some serious injury to my wrist ( I tore a ligament that will never be fully healed, broke off some cartilage and had a ganglion cyst that was removed). Now, my doctor cleared me to go back to work, even though my left wrist is still at 25% of the strength it used to be at. My wrist normally hurts throughout the day but during the work hours my wrist hurts. The supervisor over my area knows that , but my part-time supervisors keeps getting on me about going faster, even though I have told him that I have a bad wrist.

I am thinking about having a talk with the supervisor in charge of my area and asking for another position, because my wrist is a hindrance to my work. Do you have any thoughts or advice on what I could say without making me sound like I am refusing to do my job?
PT sup says go faster? You say, "I'm working as fast as I safely can."

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
do you use a wrist sleeve? use the methods they trained you in always and say I'm doing the best I can or what the previous poster said. working safely. they can not discipline you for production but they do harass and try to intimidate.

if they keep harassing you to go faster tell a shop steward. he/she usually can nip that in the bud before you have to file a harassment grievance.

good luck.

rod

Retired 22 years
Time to go back to school and take up accounting or some other desk job that involves no lifting. Sorry to say but the handwriting is on the wall.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

If your wrist is at 25%, and it hurts working in the SMALL sort, you have 3 options.

1) Go into management

2) Go back out on injury and get it fixed. UPS will fight you that it was not injured at work.

3) Put your 2 weeks notice in and find another job. I wish I could sugarcoat this for you because you did put 7 years into it but the job DOES NOT get any easier than your position right now. You are required to lift up to 70 pounds by yourself. UPS will fight you over any workmans comp over your previously cleared injury. It's hard to tell you to leave while you are enjoying great benefits and "free" healthcare, but I don't think anyone would tell you to manage your injury for your next 20 years.

NXA

Computers do all their writing for them. They barely have to know how to print legibly.
Google up "mene mene tekel upharsin " the reference has nothing to do with cursive.

To the OP, there are administrative jobs at UPS, use the upsers site and talk to HR to make a plan. Sounds like package handling is out.