Old Package Truck

ManInBrown

Hey Everyone,

So I am on Preload and doing driver helper this year. I work in a small center and I go on a small truck with the driver every day. The truck my driver drives has like over 400,000 Miles on it. The frame on the bottom makes a "popping" sound every time we go around a corner or in a driveway. Most of everything else the truck has like the heater and so forth, barely works most of the time. It amazes me how we work with a huge piece of * truck and can't get a new one to work with. Most of the other trucks aren't in great shape either, (400,000+) on some other trucks too.

Yet, when another center a 100 miles away can get 4 brand new trucks and we are stuck with a piece of * on the road which could break down at any point in time. It blows my mind to no end. How can we expect to deliver packages to peoples homes but work with an old truck that constantly wears down all the time. Anyways, this was just a small rant, but I wanted to get some insight from other people if they have had a similar issue in some centers.
UPS’s money is brown. They run equipment into the ground before they replace it. In feeders they just started getting all new tractors because of the tax breaks during the Trump administration. When I was in package we regularly had 20-30 brandy new package cars parked outside along the fence that were not to be put in use until a current one was ADA’d. Didn’t matter how bad a shape it was in. They run em into the ground before they replace them. Sucks for the workers but IMO smart business practice.

pierregarcon

We no longer have any manuals in our building. Which is nice. But the downside right now is we could really use those turbo diesel manual ten cubes they either decommissioned or moved to "lesser" centers lol. I'd much rather shift gears in a 10 then going out in a bricked out 5 cube with 380+ pieces. Sometimes I'm just baffled by the decision making process of this company.

Hot Carl

We no longer have any manuals in our building. Which is nice. But the downside right now is we could really use those turbo diesel manual ten cubes they either decommissioned or moved to "lesser" centers lol. I'd much rather shift gears in a 10 then going out in a bricked out 5 cube with 380+ pieces. Sometimes I'm just baffled by the decision making process of this company.
We have 3 or 4 left and the mechanic says they're all headed for the crusher soon. Won't miss em.

Whither

Scofflaw
We have a couple left. Not very often I get to drive one, but every blip of the throttle sounds like I'm gunning for NASCAR. I hate the steering on them, but they go fast and hold a ton.
Yup love that roar. Worked yesterday and for once spent an entire 6 punch in my loop, mostly my area in fact. It's littered with long dead-ends, so I average ~25 resi backs a day and never heard a word from mgmt about it. Chuckled to see they'd dispatched me in a Workhouse p-1200. I'd guess it added 30-45 minutes to my day with walk-offs, cautious backing maneuvers, and waiting to make right turns I'd clear without issue in my daily driver (one of the new 800s).

specter208

The new trucks shift early and bog out but the way to fix it is you have to manually shift them. Put the shifter to 1 then move it to 3 and 3rd gear will take you to 65mph in the new trucks. Thats what I do in a brand new p1200 with 3k miles
The shifters on ours don’t work in 1st. They still override and shift to second early.

quad decade guy

To the OP:

Welcome to just about ANY transportation company. Take a look at how crappy some of the brand spanking new Amazon trucks look. Beat up and damaged. Which will just get worse. As was said, vehicle utilization is a complicated algorithm filled with all manner of tax considerations, depreciation and on and on. Even climate change is figured in there along with whose palm UPS greases. My last tractor used 12-15 qts of oil everyday until I got a "new" one with 500,000 miles on it. Our last of the old generation tractors were sent to remote centers to be used as shifters.....still going. We started getting "nicer" tractors from Mack when they refused to "detune" Ups tractors. It was not cost effective for them(Mack) to make bare bones, strident and plain units that UPS wanted. My current tractor is "Star Wars"technology- what dreams are made of....you know a radio, power windows and omg a push button fifth wheel release!

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I'm sure those guys in the rural part of Texas would say they need to, otherwise yeah, no reason for a truck to really go 80.
Yeah, there’s a few stretches of road out here that 80 would be nice just down a bit on the boredom. Otherwise I couldn’t care less. I get paid by the hundredth of an hour.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hey Everyone,

So I am on Preload and doing driver helper this year. I work in a small center and I go on a small truck with the driver every day. The truck my driver drives has like over 400,000 Miles on it. The frame on the bottom makes a "popping" sound every time we go around a corner or in a driveway. Most of everything else the truck has like the heater and so forth, barely works most of the time. It amazes me how we work with a huge piece of * truck and can't get a new one to work with. Most of the other trucks aren't in great shape either, (400,000+) on some other trucks too.

Yet, when another center a 100 miles away can get 4 brand new trucks and we are stuck with a piece of * on the road which could break down at any point in time. It blows my mind to no end. How can we expect to deliver packages to peoples homes but work with an old truck that constantly wears down all the time. Anyways, this was just a small rant, but I wanted to get some insight from other people if they have had a similar issue in some centers.
Our equipment goes through regular inspection by highly qualified professional mechanics. Our vehicles are nothing less that road ready! Stop spreading rumors.

SLW

I've definitely chilled out on writing stuff up, but I still give the mechanics plenty of reason to hate me (and they do). I always wind up having serious issues while on route that I can never replicate in the shop, so there's not much they can do, but I still need to write it up to cover my ass.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I've definitely chilled out on writing stuff up, but I still give the mechanics plenty of reason to hate me (and they do). I always wind up having serious issues while on route that I can never replicate in the shop, so there's not much they can do, but I still need to write it up to cover my ass.
Yup love that roar. Worked yesterday and for once spent an entire 6 punch in my loop, mostly my area in fact. It's littered with long dead-ends, so I average ~25 resi backs a day and never heard a word from mgmt about it. Chuckled to see they'd dispatched me in a Workhouse p-1200. I'd guess it added 30-45 minutes to my day with walk-offs, cautious backing maneuvers, and waiting to make right turns I'd clear without issue in my daily driver (one of the new 800s).

Why would they hate you? Isn’t it the mechanics job to fix things?

DriverNerd

That's how it always works... All your dash lights and electronics don't work? Fixes itself by 8 pm. Won't start? A tow into the shop and it'll start right up.