Old Package Truck

Undertow

We no longer have any manuals in our building. Which is nice. But the downside right now is we could really use those turbo diesel manual ten cubes they either decommissioned or moved to "lesser" centers lol. I'd much rather shift gears in a 10 then going out in a bricked out 5 cube with 380+ pieces. Sometimes I'm just baffled by the decision making process of this company.
I miss the old International P-10 Diesels with the manual transmissions. 1st gear barely got the thing moving from a stop and might have only been there in the event the driver was pulling a trailer, but those things had a distinct enough rumbling sound that even the 90 year old customers hard of hearing knew it was one of us coming from 2 blocks away.

If the frame rusts out, it likely won't matter how much life the engine and the drivetrain have left. One other issue is that replacement parts can become a problem to locate and purchase if a particular model vehicle has long been out of production. I had a good Freightliner 10 get the axe despite having the engine, trans, springs and kingpins all replaced just two years prior due to a failed brake modulator. They couldn't find a replacement and nobody would warranty a rebuilt unit. That was a sad day because that thing took off from a stop like a raped ape.

The newer stuff does have some improved interior and cargo lighting, but some of them have such loud alarms if parked at a stop after dark with the lights and/or hazards on.

Cloud

I'm sure those guys in the rural part of Texas would say they need to, otherwise yeah, no reason for a truck to really go 80.
I run a rural route in Texas, the only place that is technically legal to go 85 is a stretch of highway between Austin/San Antonio. But I sure as heck am not driving 80 down one of those FM (farm-to-market) roads...especially not in one of these UPS clunkers.

The workhorses are junk. Wiring issues and parts are getting harder to get. Most of the ones at my center are barely skating by and are constantly in for wiring issues.

Why would they hate you? Isn’t it the mechanics job to fix things?
You do realize the mechanics have 40+ trucks each they have to take care of. Sometimes it is difficult just to get the PMs and LOFs done in a timely matter. Also parts has been a big issue, don't get me started on how much of a pain in the arse it is. Unfortubately UPS is backwards on a lot of the way they maintain a fleet. I worked for another large company fleet and it is night and day difference. We were given time to fix the truck and could get parts. Here, sometimes its like pulling teeth. Personally, I want to fix everything I find on the trucks but time and number of vehicles is against us. It is the nature of the beast. Peak is even worse. They cut down on our parts inventory and the window of time between drivers getting in and preload starting cuts our time really short and we have to rely on what we can fix in the yard.

Oh and before any grammar Nazis step in trucks refer to cars. Doesn't matter the terminology because UPS cars are technically trucks. Never seen a workhorse or freightliner sedan.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
You do realize the mechanics have 40+ trucks each they have to take care of. Sometimes it is difficult just to get the PMs and LOFs done in a timely matter. Also parts has been a big issue, don't get me started on how much of a pain in the arse it is. Unfortubately UPS is backwards on a lot of the way they maintain a fleet. I worked for another large company fleet and it is night and day difference. We were given time to fix the truck and could get parts. Here, sometimes its like pulling teeth. Personally, I want to fix everything I find on the trucks but time and number of vehicles is against us. It is the nature of the beast. Peak is even worse. They cut down on our parts inventory and the window of time between drivers getting in and preload starting cuts our time really short and we have to rely on what we can fix in the yard.

Oh and before any grammar Nazis step in trucks refer to cars. Doesn't matter the terminology because UPS cars are technically trucks. Never seen a workhorse or freightliner sedan.
I call them trucks, too. Never understood the reason they are still called cars. I'm sure it just goes back to Jim Casey days. If that's the case, why not call them parcel cars?

ouanling

do you get annoyed when a driver points major things that you dont fix and write "ok"

Both are doing their job but im wondering if you feel attacked on your side.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

All that’s really neat
But why would the mechanic hate you for writing it up

Rarefish383

I started peak 85-86 and was actually hired January 86. My first bid route had one of the oldest PC's in the building, an old P800 with the steering wheel that was off center to the seat, you had to lean way over to the right to reach the shifter. The only redeeming factor was the drivers seat. Within 30 seconds it taught you to put your seat belt on before you moved an inch. It was covered in real leather and was slipperier than snot on ice. The belt held you in the car, literally.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Hey Everyone,

So I am on Preload and doing driver helper this year. I work in a small center and I go on a small truck with the driver every day. The truck my driver drives has like over 400,000 Miles on it. The frame on the bottom makes a "popping" sound every time we go around a corner or in a driveway. Most of everything else the truck has like the heater and so forth, barely works most of the time. It amazes me how we work with a huge piece of * truck and can't get a new one to work with. Most of the other trucks aren't in great shape either, (400,000+) on some other trucks too.

Yet, when another center a 100 miles away can get 4 brand new trucks and we are stuck with a piece of * on the road which could break down at any point in time. It blows my mind to no end. How can we expect to deliver packages to peoples homes but work with an old truck that constantly wears down all the time. Anyways, this was just a small rant, but I wanted to get some insight from other people if they have had a similar issue in some centers.
Dude I’ve had the same truck break down on me 3 days in a row. Yes I wrote it up every single day telling them to not put it out. It’s the UPS way. I was pissed.

All that’s really neat
But why would the mechanic hate you for writing it up
Depends on what the write up would he for possibly. I see stuff wrote up that isn't an issue a lot. If a driver constantly switches trucks like a cover driver, he tries to compare the trucks and wrote up things that are unfortunately just characteristics of the particular truck he is in that day. Such as goes from a gas truck to a diesel and then writes up- smells like diesel. I have had one write up that the cargo area smelled like piss. Well I found piss bottles in the back area, of course it's going to stink.

do you get annoyed when a driver points major things that you dont fix and write "ok"

Both are doing their job but im wondering if you feel attacked on your side.
Sometimes depending on the driver. Some of them are go about it the right way. However we have some that think we work for them and nit-pick the crop out of stuff. Things that aren't really important at all. It's like they are trying to prove a point but they don't realize that we have ALOT to do in a very short amount of time. I have one driver that will actually write up "paint wheels". Yea right I have more important things to fix and repair than painting your wheels. Being a mechanic at UPS is a real balancing act between figuring out what you have time to fix to keep the truck on the road, being in DOT compliance, UPS compliance, doing LOFs PMs etc.

Something that actually bothers me is that very few drivers will even look over their trucks. Look at the tires, check the oil etc. Doing a basic safety inspection. After all that's part of a Pre-Inspection for DOT. Feeders certainly are supposed to- not sure about other areas but ours do and it sometimes makes things easier and smoother between automotive and drivers because you can get a good idea of what is needing to be done and can help plan the workload.

ouanling

ok then i must not be too annoying.

Do you think there's a way i could get my seat fixed? The cushion isnt supportive on the right side so im a bit bent all day on this new truck they've given me.

Zowert

Sometimes depending on the driver. Some of them are go about it the right way. However we have some that think we work for them and nit-pick the crop out of stuff. Things that aren't really important at all. It's like they are trying to prove a point but they don't realize that we have ALOT to do in a very short amount of time. I have one driver that will actually write up "paint wheels". Yea right I have more important things to fix and repair than painting your wheels. Being a mechanic at UPS is a real balancing act between figuring out what you have time to fix to keep the truck on the road, being in DOT compliance, UPS compliance, doing LOFs PMs etc.

Something that actually bothers me is that very few drivers will even look over their trucks. Look at the tires, check the oil etc. Doing a basic safety inspection. After all that's part of a Pre-Inspection for DOT. Feeders certainly are supposed to- not sure about other areas but ours do and it sometimes makes things easier and smoother between automotive and drivers because you can get a good idea of what is needing to be done and can help plan the workload.
“Paint my wheels” LOL get bent dude.

I know how busy you guys are in the shop. During peak I only write up things on my truck that are safety concerns. The small stuff like a new shelf strap to secure my hand truck can wait.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
In my building drivers would borrow a PC from the Auto Shop and not return them when done.
So every time I tried to borrow one I had to beg them.
I only had a couple of air to run off a couple of miles away.
I get to my 5th last stop and the darn steering column is a blaze, I use the fire extinguisher to put it out.
Now the whole cab including myself is covered in white powder.
I finish up my stops, with the PC's electrical system doing weird things.
I return it to the Auto Shop and the big boss is there.
I had to park it outside and run in to get help because it caught on fire again.
He instructs all the mechanics to let me have another PC anytime in the future because I returned it.

ok then i must not be too annoying.

Do you think there's a way i could get my seat fixed? The cushion isnt supportive on the right side so im a bit bent all day on this new truck they've given me.
Thats something that I would take care of. Unfortunately our center doesn't stock the seats and I would have to order it. Takes 2-3 days to get but a seat can be changed in the line up during peak. I get and completely understand a seat being written up. Personally a seat that is worn hurts my back too. If I find one during a repair or PM, I will go ahead and order it to replace. Doesn't take long to replace honestly.