Old Package Truck

In my building drivers would borrow a PC from the Auto Shop and not return them when done.
So every time I tried to borrow one I had to beg them.
I only had a couple of air to run off a couple of miles away.
I get to my 5th last stop and the darn steering column is a blaze, I use the fire extinguisher to put it out.
Now the whole cab including myself is covered in white powder.
I finish up my stops, with the PC's electrical system doing weird things.
I return it to the Auto Shop and the big boss is there.
I had to park it outside and run in to get help because it caught on fire again.
He instructs all the mechanics to let me have another PC anytime in the future because I returned it.
I wish we had spare trucks. It would make scheduling repairs easier.

ManInBrown

Thats something that I would take care of. Unfortunately our center doesn't stock the seats and I would have to order it. Takes 2-3 days to get but a seat can be changed in the line up during peak. I get and completely understand a seat being written up. Personally a seat that is worn hurts my back too. If I find one during a repair or PM, I will go ahead and order it to replace. Doesn't take long to replace honestly.
Yeah I wrote mine up one day for a new seat. Came in the next day and was shocked to find a new seat. Never had that happen for any repair like that. Was fully expecting to see parts on order ok to run.

Yeah I wrote mine up one day for a new seat. Came in the next day and was shocked to find a new seat. Never had that happen for any repair like that. Was fully expecting to see parts on order ok to run.
They must have had one in stock. Unfortunately they are big and bulky so its hard to stock one. Most of our shops have very limited space for parts. Truthfully they aren't even shops but most are just spaces that they gave us in the building. Our location tries to keep one during the non-peak season because we have a little more room but during peak we can't since they typically load PVD in the garage. Makes it VERY difficult on us and limits our space even more.

ManInBrown

They must have had one in stock. Unfortunately they are big and bulky so its hard to stock one. Most of our shops have very limited space for parts. Truthfully they aren't even shops but most are just spaces that they gave us in the building. Our location tries to keep one during the non-peak season because we have a little more room but during peak we can't since they typically load PVD in the garage. Makes it VERY difficult on us and limits our space even more.
Yeah that’s what happened. Asked the mechanic a few days later about it, and he said it was your lucky day. We had one in stock.

Yeah that’s what happened. Asked the mechanic a few days later about it, and he said it was your lucky day. We had one in stock.
I will usually order one for a truck that the driver didn't ask about and if someone asks about replacing it before I get a chance to install it, I will use that one for the request and then order another for the original truck. It seems to work for me and is usually a way to keep one in "stock". Doesn't always work out but usually does.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
do you get annoyed when a driver points major things that you dont fix and write "ok"

Both are doing their job but im wondering if you feel attacked on your side.
I get why drivers get annoyed about stuff the does not get fixed but if they spent a week shadowing us I think they would get it's the way the company handles automotive that causes these problems.

I will be honest a lot of times "part on order' is a way for me to put off a repair I don't have time for that night.

When I first come in I look though my write-ups and order them in importance. Obviously safety and possible road call concerns are first priority. Then I need to determine access to certain trucks. Ones that need to be brought to the shop and are lined up in places I can't get them out have to be pulled first. We also need to leave time for our compliance stuff like oil changes, pmis, telematics and sirds.. etc. We are also up against preload. They are haunting us for the trucks back as early as midnight. Let's not even get started on road calls and delays in the yard. Those can wreck your plan fast. Yes, feeder guys that's why the package car mechanics hate to see you, not because we are lazy it's your problem just added a ton of stress on us.

Unfortunately, the non safety complaint a lot of times comes up the looser and typically never gets done.

If it was up to me the interior of these trucks would be overhauled every few years, but it will never happen.
All that’s really neat
But why would the mechanic hate you for writing it up

I don't hate drivers for write ups what I hate is :censored2: write ups. Like BATTERY in huge capital letters. Well why does it need a battery? I have had times when I would go put a set of batteries in on a write-up like that only to get REPLACE BATTERY the next day and find out once in awhile his fob did not work.

Just write my fob does not work at times and time would not have been wasted, another driver could have had his non safety concern fixed and the driver would have had it fixed on the first night.

Spanky250

My truck pet peeve is the headlights. My $25k economy car has state-of-the-art HID headlights, yet my $85k package car has headlight technology from the 1970s. The Streamlight flashlight I keep on the dash during season is brighter than the pathetic headlights on the package car. Just goes to show UPS doesn't really give a damn about safety.

ouanling

My truck pet peeve is the headlights. My $25k economy car has state-of-the-art HID headlights, yet my $85k package car has headlight technology from the 1970s. The Streamlight flashlight I keep on the dash during season is brighter than the pathetic headlights on the package car. Just goes to show UPS doesn't really give a damn about safety.
had a truck for a few weeks with a burned headlight

previous guy that had it took it back and its still burned.

Wrote it in every single day

SLW

1609126142083.png