OMS messages

upsisermd

Our center just received the new upgrade to the ODS system which allows our center manager to track our progress and location throughout the day. We have all seen the computer screen in the office that shows a little UPS truck showing our exact location, total # of stops off and # left, Total # of pickups completed. We have already had a couple of drivers called into the office about time taken between stops. The only good thing about this is it takes care of any messages and also helps in dispatching on call airs to the right driver. It really hasnt affected my day at all, but I'm sure the drivers who run their miles up have stopped doing that.

This system is still being deployed and should be in most centers soon

rod

Retired 22 years
This system is still being deployed and should be in most centers soon

ha ha--- my old center still isn't on PAS or EDD or any of that newfangled stuff. In fact they are still using DIAD 3's. Progress comes slow out in the sticks.

SmithBarney

$.25
Bean counters have calculated that:
time it costs to type said message
the actual cost of message,
the time it costs for you to read and or reply to message = $.25

satellitedriver

$.25
Bean counters have calculated that:
time it costs to type said message
the actual cost of message,
the time it costs for you to read and or reply to message = $.25
Much more than $.25.
On straight time I make $.46 a minute.
If I am driving, I have to pull over. (the clock,then ticks)
I am delivering to a customer, I have to stop and respond. (the clock, then tocks)
The fact is UPS is being charged $.69 a minute, since they are pushing me into overtime pay.
(not to mention, as I text my response I realize I did not toggle to ABC mode and have to start all over again)
My best guess is that it costs UPS $1.38 a text on my end. (2 minutes on an average)
Add the cost of the person in the center and the UPS costs have to be over $2.00 per text.
I am judged in my actions in the terms of seconds, by UPS.
Why waste millions of dollars asking drivers when they will get back to the center?
That fact should be known, using the PAS/EDD system, before a driver has even left the building.
P.S.
Is the time having to respond to text messages even addressed when a time study is done on a route?
Maybe, just maybe, there are some bugs that need to be worked out in the PAS/EDD system.

BigBrownSanta

Much more than $.25.
On straight time I make $.46 a minute.
If I am driving, I have to pull over. (the clock,then ticks)
I am delivering to a customer, I have to stop and respond. (the clock, then tocks)
The fact is UPS is being charged $.69 a minute, since they are pushing me into overtime pay.
(not to mention, as I text my response I realize I did not toggle to ABC mode and have to start all over again)
My best guess is that it costs UPS $1.38 a text on my end. (2 minutes on an average)
Add the cost of the person in the center and the UPS costs have to be over $2.00 per text.
I am judged in my actions in the terms of seconds, by UPS.
Why waste millions of dollars asking drivers when they will get back to the center?
That fact should be known, using the PAS/EDD system, before a driver has even left the building.
P.S.
Is the time having to respond to text messages even addressed when a time study is done on a route?
Maybe, just maybe, there are some bugs that need to be worked out in the PAS/EDD system.

You said it exactly right! That's what I was thinking but couldn't find the words to say.

UPSmeoff

A guy in my center got a warning letter today for using his cell phone whilst driving. He was spotted by some higher up. The funny thing is he said he was talking to a on car sup.

That is just exquisite B.S.

I'm changing my cell number.