On call 24/7

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Sheeeeesh

Burn this thread to the ground

tenor.gif

Poop Head

Judge me.
That's not going to happen! Dude I'm in my 40s I don't have time to wait 10 years to get a schedule run. I don't have the time to STFU and take my lumps. I will just stay in the LTL industry. I thought it was going to be a great opportunity starting out. P
How much you making now, where you applying?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don't think you can possibly be put on call 24/7. How is that supposed to work? Most likely it's just not a set schedule, where you call in daily to see when/if you are working . You can't be on call without some sort of compensation, whether you work or not. And you know that you have to have at least ten hours off after each shift.

My guess, without contract language to look at, is that you will just call in every day. You know you'll probably have to have at least one full day off each week, one way or another, you just probably won't know which day from week to week.

Last edited:

Uturn

I don't think you can possibly put on call 24/7. How is that supposed to work? Most likely it's just not a set schedule, where you call in daily to see when/if you are working . You can't be on call without some sort of compensation, whether you work or not. And you know that you have to have at least ten hours off after each shift.

My guess, without contract language to look at, is that you will just call in every day. You know you'll probably have to have at least one full day off each week, one way or another, you just probably won't know which day from week to week.
Appreciate the reply!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Appreciate the reply!

I don't know if it helps any. But 24/7 on-call sounds pretty absurd. Find out which local repreaents that area and give them a call. You could also go and talk to the Feeder Dept and ask how they actually run the scheduling. The more reliable information you get, the better the decision you can make.

WannaBeFeeder

It's a full-time feeder position, but on call 24/7. I don't see how they hire or retain drivers with that deal. I can see being on call on your probation period or knowing you will have some type of schedule in a few months. Years of being on call 24/7 would get old fast!!!!
This is the exact reason why my hub is hiring drivers right now and starting pay at the 3 year progression rate

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I don't know if it helps any. But 24/7 on-call sounds pretty absurd. Find out which local repreaents that area and give them a call. You could also go and talk to the Feeder Dept and ask how they actually run the scheduling. The more reliable information you get, the better the decision you can make.

Someone else asked about this a few months ago. I too, thought it was absurd. @BigUnionGuy set me straight, it is real.

This is from the Western PA supplement:

Tractor-Trailer Vacation Replacement Drivers
Vacation Replacement Tractor-Trailer Drivers hired in April, May, June, July, August, and September, shall not gain seniority unless they are worked in the month of October of the year in which they are hired as a Vacation Replacement Tractor-Trailer Driver.
- 213 -

These employees will be hired on a year-to-year basis and must reapply yearly to be considered for employment as a Vacation Re- placement Driver.
After working thirty (30) days in an eighty (80) calendar day peri- od, the top twenty-five percent (25%) of the total Vacation Replace- ment Drivers hired in a given year will be given Preferred Vacation Replacement Driver status.
A Preferred Vacation Replacement Driver will be afforded trac- tor-trailer work prior to non-preferred vacation replacement driv- ers. The preferred Vacation Replacement Driver will be afforded work opportunity, when work is available once in any twenty-four (24) hour period according to the Company’s work schedule. If un- available for work when called, the vacation replacement trac- tor-trailer driver will lose preferred status.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Someone else asked about this a few months ago. I too, thought it was absurd. @BigUnionGuy set me straight, it is real.

This is from the Western PA supplement:

Tractor-Trailer Vacation Replacement Drivers
Vacation Replacement Tractor-Trailer Drivers hired in April, May, June, July, August, and September, shall not gain seniority unless they are worked in the month of October of the year in which they are hired as a Vacation Replacement Tractor-Trailer Driver.
- 213 -

These employees will be hired on a year-to-year basis and must reapply yearly to be considered for employment as a Vacation Re- placement Driver.
After working thirty (30) days in an eighty (80) calendar day peri- od, the top twenty-five percent (25%) of the total Vacation Replace- ment Drivers hired in a given year will be given Preferred Vacation Replacement Driver status.
A Preferred Vacation Replacement Driver will be afforded trac- tor-trailer work prior to non-preferred vacation replacement driv- ers. The preferred Vacation Replacement Driver will be afforded work opportunity, when work is available once in any twenty-four (24) hour period according to the Company’s work schedule. If un- available for work when called, the vacation replacement trac- tor-trailer driver will lose preferred status.

That still doesn't exactly equate to on call 24/7. There are practical issues to consider. Once you filled a shift, they still have to give you ten hours off. The practice is what matters.

We have on call language in my local, where the company has to pay you to wait by the phone, and, after a set point, you are released. They don't pay people, because they don't enforce the language, meaning if someone who is "on call" doesn't answer their phone, they won't be written up for it. Do they tell people that? Nope.

Made brown

How does this actually work? Do you really sit by the phone all day waiting on dispatch to call or do they normally call you in a certain time frame? I was just informed by a driver that at this particular hub, I'll probably be a coverage driver for the next 15 - 20 years. Lol WTH!!!!! I'm definitely having second thoughts after hearing that.
Take a leave of absence to see if it works out for you.

Trash Panda

Timing and location is everything…… im above the hiring spree that has been going on for two years now. When i first started and listened to the guys with 5-10 years in, they spent a considerable number of years on call.

i just got a scheduled run in two years. After the first year vacation and peak times i was high enough on the board to cover runs for the week. Which is like having a schedule. It just changes week to week.

on call life does suck however once your there 6 months and learn the routes its easier to predict the times youll be getting the call to work.

only reason it took so long to get a schedule is some of the high senority B drivers went back to the daycab life. So the A drivers were choosing others lower than me on the board last bid.

mileage may vary. Good luck