on call

collegepreloader

I was wondering if they have to call a certain time to say they need you for the morning. I work preload start time is 430. Ill treat the morning like I will have to work but i don't want to sit around and wait for a call or not.

oh yeah and I am new here, been checking out the forum for about the past month just never registered. I'm in college and been working preload for about 2 1/2 months so far.

Cementups

Box Monkey
you mean to drive? I used to just either take my browns with me just in ase or I would wear the shorts and bring a shirt incase they wanted me. And weaing the brown shorts also helped in not destroying a pair of my own pants.

collegepreloader

no, to load, I was layed off today. Today I called to see if they needed me for tomorrow morning, he said I was on call and they would call me if they needed me.

PaidDriveTime?

no I think he means like on call for the preload. For like the first two weeks I worked I was on call on Mondays. They usually called like a half hour before the sort started. It all depends on if people call in or not and what the sort is looking like. Thats why its kind of last minute.

evilleace

Pay us nothing I was on call twice when I was seasonal sucked because I had to wake up and call then wait for them to call back just so I could go to work anyway.

drewed

Shankman
Thats a toughy. i know its an hour to notify change of start time but if youre calling into see if you need to work.....i dont believe its in the in the contract (please correct me if im wrong) i think it would just be proffessional courtesy......how many days do you go in compared to not? if you go in more then not see if you can get them to call you if youre not needed....(i know thats a long shot)

browniehound

Its amazing how times have changed. When I first started part-time in 1999 there was jobs open on every shift The preload, day, twi, and midnight could not staff its operations. I remember drivers working on the Twi sort because they were so short handed!

If I was "on call" at UPS I would have quit. How can they expect us to wait for a call to come to work to make $8.50 per hour?

Like Over 9.5 said, if you are "on call" then you should be paid for it. Everyone else I know how works "on call" is paid for the day even if they don't work.

I think you should ask the day before if they need you. UPS should tell you yes or no right here. If they say yes and you come in you will get the promised 3.5 hours. If they say "no" and then are short-handed I think its their problem. I don't think they can expect you to be on-call for a 4 hour shift and not be compensated for it!