On making scratch and qualifying

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
I have written a grievance for the building Im in for that exact scenario, the company has failed to uphold there end of the contract and properly staff the operation continually, causing undue burden on current package car drivers, as well as violating the spirit of the agreement because now regular package car drivers are working six days and the to 22.4s are working five. Exactly the opposite of what the contract was supposed to create. It doesn’t even get into the fact they’re pushing Monday volume on Saturdays thereby creating more unnecessary routes Saturday and forcing more people. A complete and total :censored2: show.
They brought this up at my local’s meeting one time. It’s happening everywhere so it seems. Said to grieve it and that’s what the cover drivers should be used for. Of course I’m still a hub rat so it’s just me from the outside looking in.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
If I were to start driving, I’d sort the best I can, bring a bottle to use the restroom, and learn the route the best I can since it’s a race against time. But really from what I heard, and read, if management wants you in then you’re in. Just how it is.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
But they already qualified? Also couldn’t they argue it as dishonesty for not taking a lunch?

Who's they? Management looks the other way because it gets the numbers closer to the impossible standards so they get yelled at less. The runners like it cause they get paid for the time with guarantee and bonus, and they get to go home between 4 and 5 every day. I have been trying for several years to get people to change their ways, but now It's time to start grieving the working off the clock.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Very dangerous for the OMS so many people walked out at my location in management for those types of time card falsification.

It's in the culture here. It works for the people involved at the expense of literally everyone else. When you try to talk to people they are either like "yeah, I know I shouldn't, but..." or "screw you and the union."

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Who's they? Management looks the other way because it gets the numbers closer to the impossible standards so they get yelled at less. The runners like it cause they get paid for the time with guarantee and bonus, and they get to go home between 4 and 5 every day. I have been trying for several years to get people to change their ways, but now It's time to start grieving the working off the clock.
The only way they’ll change their ways is with a swift kick in the ass. But unfortunately we can’t do that, but they’ll eventually get injured and will learn the hard way and will learn how much management really loves them. Lead a horse to water and such and such.

oldngray

nowhere special
They ignore it until there is a problem then you are on your own

Thebrownblob

It's in the culture here. It works for the people involved at the expense of literally everyone else. When you try to talk to people they are either like "yeah, I know I shouldn't, but..." or "screw you and the union."
Trust me I do get that here from time to time as well. Until that one time when a management person changes someone from a code 6 to the code 5 taking anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour away from them without their approval and then they care.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The only way they’ll change their ways is with a swift kick in the ass. But unfortunately we can’t do that, but they’ll eventually get injured and will learn the hard way and will learn how much management really loves them. Lead a horse to water and such and such.

The swift kick in the ass we can give them is to grieve their unpaid time, force the company to give them back pay, then the company will have an incentive to put a stop to it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Absolutely and I love that attitude

Our local has been reluctant to do anything that may cause members to get disciplined, or drive a wedge between members. The problem is that by ignoring the cheating, they have allowed the company to get away with dumping more work on everyone, and turned their back on the members who are trying to do things the right way, making no one happy. It's long past time to stop playing nice with the anti-union guys who screw everyone else.

Thebrownblob

Our local has been reluctant to do anything that may cause members to get disciplined, or drive a wedge between members. The problem is that by ignoring the cheating, they have allowed the company to get away with dumping more work on everyone, and turned their back on the members who are trying to do things the right way, making no one happy. It's long past time to stop playing nice with the anti-union guys who screw everyone else.
We have argued that it is the companies responsibility to make sure people are not working off the clock.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We have argued that it is the companies responsibility to make sure people are not working off the clock.

Right, it is. But from a member's perspective, they will blame the union for filing the grievance and messing up the good thing they had going. If the company tried to discipline any of them, I would be right there, defending the members, pointing out that the company knew it was happening and allowed it to continue. Then, there also getting the state DOL involved. They like issuing fines to companies for not paying employees for time worked.

Thebrownblob

They won’t stop it, why would they. My local was very prickish about guys working off the clock, so it was not a rampant problem.
Agreed it is difficult. And it’s usually the same knuckleheads who are doing 220 stops and say “I have to load my truck how would I get done?” Then I told him well I’m gonna do about 90 stops because I’m not doing what you’re doing. Lol

Thebrownblob

Right, it is. But from a member's perspective, they will blame the union for filing the grievance and messing up the good thing they had going. If the company tried to discipline any of them, I would be right there, defending the members, pointing out that the company knew it was happening and allowed it to continue. Then, there also getting the state DOL involved. They like issuing fines to companies for not paying employees for time worked.
And that’s exactly what we did and it worked pretty well, The ones complaining would be people similar to upstate Dave So really no big loss if they’re mad at the union