On New Bid And Hate It

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
yes, but it's nowhere near my route. several miles away.
Haven't been anywhere near there lately since I'm not working again. Won't go back until probably after 7/4

Google took me over it on Tuesday going to Rahal Honda.

Would have been more fun in something other than a base Civic.

(Quit getting injured and sick! We'll never end up golfing together.)

Cementups

Box Monkey
Google took me over it on Tuesday going to Rahal Honda.

Would have been more fun in something other than a base Civic.

(Quit getting injured and sick! We'll never end up golfing together.)

I'm not "sick" per say. I just had my gall bladder removed. I'm dying here. Been off for 3 weeks and want to go back to work. Hoping they release me back to work next week. I go to the doctor next Thursday.

rod

Retired 22 years
Happened to me. I was on a route for 7 years that I got after the regular driver passed away. No one wanted it. 45-50 drivers turned it down. Then one day some jerk face decided the grass was greener somewhere else and bumped a driver. That driver then bumped me of my route. Now I run the guy's route who did the original bumping and sees I am off the clock daily by 5:30-6:00 and now tells me next spring he's thinking about taking the route back. I do 20-30 more stops than he did on it (no, I do not run....he talks to much). the guys who cover his route are done daily at 5:30 as well. But he doesn't think the problem is him. :rolleyes:

That's the problem with the annual or semi annual bid system. Once we had bid a route it was ours forever unless we wanted to bid on one that came up because it was a new route or someone had retired. Who ever got the annual bid system going should ran out of town on a rail.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Happened to me. I was on a route for 7 years that I got after the regular driver passed away. No one wanted it. 45-50 drivers turned it down. Then one day some jerk face decided the grass was greener somewhere else and bumped a driver. That driver then bumped me of my route. Now I run the guy's route who did the original bumping and sees I am off the clock daily by 5:30-6:00 and now tells me next spring he's thinking about taking the route back. I do 20-30 more stops than he did on it (no, I do not run....he talks to much). the guys who cover his route are done daily at 5:30 as well. But he doesn't think the problem is him. :rolleyes:

That's just the nature of bumping. It happens all of the time in feeders. No sense in getting upset about something you have no control over.

Dracula

That's the problem with the annual or semi annual bid system. Once we had bid a route it was ours forever unless we wanted to bid on one that came up because it was a new route or someone had retired. Who ever got the annual bid system going should ran out of town on a rail.

I love the annual bid in feeders.

Cementups

Box Monkey
That's just the nature of bumping. It happens all of the time in feeders. No sense in getting upset about something you have no control over.

The only thing that bothered me was that nobody want ed it over the initial bidding and three biannuals after, then all of a sudden......

But it is what it is.

ManInBrown

Man that must suck to bid yearly. How does that even work? Is it every January drivers can switch? This driver wants this. This driver wants this. How is all the switching done in an orderly fashion. Sounds like a complete cluster:censored3:Here the routes yours for as long as you want it. I plan on staying on my route for probably 8-10 more years. Then try to bid something a little cushier

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Man that must suck to bid yearly. How does that even work? Is it every January drivers can switch? This driver wants this. This driver wants this. How is all the switching done in an orderly fashion. Sounds like a complete cluster:censored3:Here the routes yours for as long as you want it. I plan on staying on my route for probably 8-10 more years. Then try to bid something a little cushier
Here it is bi-annual bidding in February and all FT ups'ers are in the same pool ( if qualified). It's always interesting to see feeder drivers come into the building and cause a chain-reaction job bump.

I couldn't imagine doing the same route or same job with this company for more than a year or two.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not nearly as bad as you think.

They like to get any moves done within 30 days.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Here it is bi-annual bidding in February and all FT ups'ers are in the same pool ( if qualified). It's always interesting to see feeder drivers come into the building and cause a chain-reaction job bump.

I couldn't imagine doing the same route or same job with this company for more than a year or two.

you must be new. The only people that ever say that are cover drivers and usually people driving only a few years. I've heard a hundred times. But once someone gets sick of not knowing what tomorrow holds and they get their own route an run it regularly.......they get it.

ManInBrown

Annual bidding has to be insane. It's bad enough here to get 12 routes covered with 14 cover drivers. All arguing with each other about who is going to run what. This one has the seniority over this one but doesn't know that route. Thank god I have my own. I hated those days. Then you have to show up early so you don't get shafted. Here the sups post the list on the chalkboard with who is doing what. But then if drivers want to make switches it's allowed, to a degree. A lot of jockeying involved. It's a complete cluster:censored3: every single morning. Nothing like showing up 2 minutes before start time when you have your own route. It's great

UnconTROLLed

perfection
you must be new. The only people that ever say that are cover drivers and usually people driving only a few years. I've heard a hundred times. But once someone gets sick of not knowing what tomorrow holds and they get their own route an run it regularly.......they get it.
If you are talking about drivers, yes. Don't forget there are tens of thousands of FT inside people now.
You say "they get it" but it's gone if they are bumped :D

I could bid a route and bump someone...albeit a crap route...or work as a high(er) seniority cover. has nothing to do with tenure though, I rather do different jobs ...

If you are talking about drivers, yes. Don't forget there are tens of thousands of FT inside people now.
You say "they get it" but it's gone if they are bumped :D

I could bid a route and bump someone...albeit a crap route...or work as a high(er) seniority cover. has nothing to do with tenure though, I rather do different jobs ...
I've been on my route for over two decades. Nobody else wants it.

Dracula

Annual bidding has to be insane. It's bad enough here to get 12 routes covered with 14 cover drivers. All arguing with each other about who is going to run what. This one has the seniority over this one but doesn't know that route. Thank god I have my own. I hated those days. Then you have to show up early so you don't get shafted. Here the sups post the list on the chalkboard with who is doing what. But then if drivers want to make switches it's allowed, to a degree. A lot of jockeying involved. It's a complete cluster:censored3: every single morning. Nothing like showing up 2 minutes before start time when you have your own route. It's great

Remember, I'm talking about the feeder bid. It wasn't an annual bid when I was in package car. Every May, they bid all of the routes, from sleeper teams, mileage runs, hourly runs, variable cover jobs (which pick vacations, week-to-week) and bid cover jobs (which are cover jobs at a time slot, meaning your job is simply a time slot, so you cover call-ins, optional days, and whatever comes up at that time slot).

In feeders, especially in a very big feeder department like ours, the bids are continuous. Outside of the peak period, it is rare when there is a week when there isn't a bid on the board. Every move has a ripple. For example, a few weeks after our bid was complete, one of our mileage guys retired. So that one move will ripple for months. At the end of the week, someone will get his job, and that winning driver's job goes up for bid the following week. It only ends when an unassigned driver gets a job, because obviously, that driver didn't have a job.

What this means, is typically, the highest seniority drivers tend to keep the best jobs. By best jobs, I'm speaking of mileage runs, day road jobs and bid cover jobs. But in general, most drivers know about where and what kind of jobs they will be able to keep with their individual seniority, and as such, usually will be able to keep their job for the year.

The one exception, is when someone's job gets changed in some way, or gets eliminated, that driver gets a bump. And then it starts all over again.

It might sound bad, and it can suck getting bumped off your job, but guess what? You just ride the ripple, and take your bump and find the next best job. It happens to everyone at some point, but it's just part of the job. I was in the middle of a 300 driver list for over two years before I got bumped for the first time. I was a little bummed at first, but then I bumped into the variable cover list, and I loved it, and never looked back.

ManInBrown

Remember, I'm talking about the feeder bid. It wasn't an annual bid when I was in package car. Every May, they bid all of the routes, from sleeper teams, mileage runs, hourly runs, variable cover jobs (which pick vacations, week-to-week) and bid cover jobs (which are cover jobs at a time slot, meaning your job is simply a time slot, so you cover call-ins, optional days, and whatever comes up at that time slot).

In feeders, especially in a very big feeder department like ours, the bids are continuous. Outside of the peak period, it is rare when there is a week when there isn't a bid on the board. Every move has a ripple. For example, a few weeks after our bid was complete, one of our mileage guys retired. So that one move will ripple for months. At the end of the week, someone will get his job, and that winning driver's job goes up for bid the following week. It only ends when an unassigned driver gets a job, because obviously, that driver didn't have a job.

What this means, is typically, the highest seniority drivers tend to keep the best jobs. By best jobs, I'm speaking of mileage runs, day road jobs and bid cover jobs. But in general, most drivers know about where and what kind of jobs they will be able to keep with their individual seniority, and as such, usually will be able to keep their job for the year.

The one exception, is when someone's job gets changed in some way, or gets eliminated, that driver gets a bump. And then it starts all over again.

It might sound bad, and it can suck getting bumped off your job, but guess what? You just ride the ripple, and take your bump and find the next best job. It happens to everyone at some point, but it's just part of the job. I was in the middle of a 300 driver list for over two years before I got bumped for the first time. I was a little bummed at first, but then I bumped into the variable cover list, and I loved it, and never looked back.

Oh Ok. Gotcha. But I also think there is annual bids in package, in some locals. Feeders I could see being a little easier to do annual bids. Probably not as big a cluster:censored3:

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been on my route for over two decades. Nobody else wants it.

I delivered basically the same route for 25+ years ---I could do it in my sleep. The day after I retired they totally "reorganized" it and screwed it up. The last I heard 3 different drivers deliver parts of my old area now.

ManInBrown

I delivered basically the same route for 25+ years ---I could do it in my sleep. The day after I retired they totally "reorganized" it and screwed it up. The last I heard 3 different drivers deliver parts of my old area now.
Yup. Whenever an old timer leaves the route they had goes to hell. We had a guy leave last year. And before the boys from the Hall said a few words, an on car usually says a couple nice things. This on-car actually said "I'm glad you're leaving. Now I can put 30 more stops on the car"

It's depressing sometimes. Saw too many people pass away