on the truck before start time

browniehound

people just dont understand youd think paying greivences would make company keep them off the truck in the morning why do people insist on working off the clock and skipping lunches it takes 1000's of dollars from you, why give them that money i dont understand

I'll tell you why, but first let me say that I agree with you 100%. No driver should be working off the clock. However, some drivers don't care about the money and value the free time at more than $43/hour. For these people I say you are in the wrong job.

UPS will rip your heart out and smother your soul if you expect to come in and run and gun to be a specific point in the route everyday. If you are overdispatched by 20 everyday than you have an issue, but if your dispacthed with a 9.2 day and rush to finish in 7.8 your only hurting yourself.

Just don't cheat yourself. Make sure you get paid for the time spent working.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
I load three cars at the front of my belt and it is very hard to do a good job with the amazing amount of bulk on my first car. The driver of this car has been there for twenty years and he's had this route for a very long time.

Our pre-load usually starts at 5:00am on normal days, and driver start time is 9:00am. My driver arrives at 6 to start his day (he and another veteran driver are the only ones who come this early). I've worked for him for 2 years, and he was really the one who trained me how to load well and I've pretty much figured out how his route is exactly set up. (He does not load by PAL number)

While he's there he goes through each package even though I know where to put everything just in case I get the occasional rare misload. After he's thoughrly checked his truck he even helps me sort the front of the belt a little bit.

I was just wondering is what he is doing really worth it, if he's clocking in at 9a.m. and getting off at 8p.m. or so, with the 3 hours of not getting paid?

backinbrown

respect my authority
I'll tell you why, but first let me say that I agree with you 100%. No driver should be working off the clock. However, some drivers don't care about the money and value the free time at more than $43/hour. For these people I say you are in the wrong job.

UPS will rip your heart out and smother your soul if you expect to come in and run and gun to be a specific point in the route everyday. If you are overdispatched by 20 everyday than you have an issue, but if your dispacthed with a 9.2 day and rush to finish in 7.8 your only hurting yourself.

Just don't cheat yourself. Make sure you get paid for the time spent working.

you will just get more stops and now its expected of you to do more

backinbrown

respect my authority
I load three cars at the front of my belt and it is very hard to do a good job with the amazing amount of bulk on my first car. The driver of this car has been there for twenty years and he's had this route for a very long time.

Our pre-load usually starts at 5:00am on normal days, and driver start time is 9:00am. My driver arrives at 6 to start his day (he and another veteran driver are the only ones who come this early). I've worked for him for 2 years, and he was really the one who trained me how to load well and I've pretty much figured out how his route is exactly set up. (He does not load by PAL number)

While he's there he goes through each package even though I know where to put everything just in case I get the occasional rare misload. After he's thoughrly checked his truck he even helps me sort the front of the belt a little bit.

I was just wondering is what he is doing really worth it, if he's clocking in at 9a.m. and getting off at 8p.m. or so, with the 3 hours of not getting paid?

if he is starting this early he better be getting paid for it. he cant do that he cant help on the belt unless he has been asked to do so and then he gets paid for it if he is starting at six and not bieng paid he is in violation of contract and hes just foolish giving all that money away

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
As a steward, I would document, then file on Thursday. That driver is out of DOT hours and can not work on Friday.

That would get someones attention.

That is only another grand a week he is donating.

BTW, some people dont have a life away from UPS.

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
As a steward, I would document, then file on Thursday. That driver is out of DOT hours and can not work on Friday.

That would get someones attention.

That is only another grand a week he is donating.

BTW, some people dont have a life away from UPS.

d

i didnt even consider the dot hours and friday work nice call, im just blown away that anyone would do that without bieng paid, He cant work on belt off clock no way he gets hurt off clock not good

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I call that, the Nervous Nelly approach to delivery. All this driver is doing, is preventing another route from being formed, as well as adding a preloader.

Bugs bunny and Daffy Duck the happy miser

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
i didnt even consider the dot hours and friday work nice call, im just blown away that anyone would do that without bieng paid, He cant work on belt off clock no way he gets hurt off clock not good

Center manager has gotten on to him for it before, but that was only because he was complaining about the PT sup not cutting one of his bulk stops that day.

He could only come in after 7 that whole week, then everything blew over and went back to normal.

I think our centers much more lenient on a vast array of things than many of what you guys seem to be talking about in this thread.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Center manager has gotten on to him for it before, but that was only because he was complaining about the PT sup not cutting one of his bulk stops that day.

He could only come in after 7 that whole week, then everything blew over and went back to normal.

I think our centers much more lenient on a vast array of things than many of what you guys seem to be talking about in this thread.

That's not leniency, that's turning a blind eye. The contract exists for a reason, and if this isn't that very reason, I don't know what is.