On topic: Getting away from a jerk FT

km3

I'm a PT sup, and I can't stand my FT sup. He's an impatient, micromanaging grouch who blames me for things beyond my control and won't listen to me or my hourly employee's concerns.

I want to go back to training. I told him this, citing that I was better at training new hires, but I have also expressed interest in becoming a FT sup. I thought I would have some opportunities since my hub is expanding. He said I "needed this experience if I wanted to go full time".

I can't afford to simply quit. Who should I tell that my sup is creating a hostile work environment:HR or my sort manager? I liked my FT sup in training so much more, never had any conflict it her.

P.S. be glad you guys have a union.

Full-time sups are abused the worst. If you want a FT non-union job at UPS, make sure it isn't in operations. You said before you had your degree already, didn't you? Look for a different company to work for while you try to get all this figured out.

km3

Should also note: going Ft management is pretty much a pipe dream right now. Need to start planning my exit strategy. I've gained a lot at UPS, and want to, at least, leave the company on good terms.

That may be difficult under your current FT sup. Remember he/she controls your rehire status.

JackOfClubs

PT Bureaucrat

Attachments

• The_best_flowchart_ever.jpg
    The_best_flowchart_ever.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 107

ManInBrown

Yep. 400 pieces to deliver a day.

"What happened yesterday? You punched at 2100. ORION said 1900 was your (fantasy land) punch!"

"What do you think happened? Couldn't walk through my PC until 1530."
Yup. I learned a long time ago, to convey the attitude that you couldn't care less about their fantasy land numbers when you're called into the office. Give very bland dead eye responses. They want drivers fired up. Shows you care about their dumb made up numbers.

Box Ox

Yup. I learned a long time ago, to convey the attitude that you couldn't care less about their fantasy land numbers when you're called into the office. Give very bland dead eye responses. They want drivers fired up. Shows you care about their dumb made up numbers.

Could not agree more.

JackOfClubs

PT Bureaucrat
Most things about this company, I have discovered, is deceit. Examples:

1. When I was hourly, they told me I would get an extra dollar an hour for being a certified pickoff. What they didn't tell me was that I had to be picking off to get said extra dollar.

2. Brand-new PT sups have a higher starting pay. They're that desperate for PT sups (to abuse)

3. You can't apply for FT, non-union jobs without your QPR. And they leave you hanging when that performance review will be. (I predict all those openings will be gone as soon as I get my QPR).

The supervision route is all about dangling a carrot in front of you. "Keep doing exactly as I say, and *maybe* we will give you a 25 cent raise this year. Oh, and asking questions bothers us, so we'll act annoyed if you want to understand how things work".

km3

1. When I was hourly, they told me I would get an extra dollar an hour for being a certified pickoff. What they didn't tell me was that I had to be picking off to get said extra dollar.

Some hubs are setup that way. Technically, the way your location does it is the way it's meant to be. But in many locations, mine included, they'll give you the $1 everyday after you're certified just to keep people. I know people who get coded in as pickoff who don't even load in areas that have a pickoff anymore.

2. Brand-new PT sups have a higher starting pay. They're that desperate for PT sups (to abuse)

Same with union employees (attendance bonuses, etc.; they reached $250/wk during peak here). The union is still fighting them on that.

3. You can't apply for FT, non-union jobs without your QPR. And they leave you hanging when that performance review will be. (I predict all those openings will be gone as soon as I get my QPR).

What is QPR? Quarterly Performance Review? Regardless, that's not necessarily true. I was always told that you HAD to be a PT sup if you wanted to move up, and into a different department (IE, Finance, LP, etc.). Not too long ago, a preloader took the initiative to go to HR and figure things out for himself, got himself an interview, and boom: Preloading on Friday, full-time Business Development on Monday. I take his example as proof that you can go straight from union to FT non-union without all the crap if your credentials are right.

The supervision route is all about dangling a carrot in front of you. "Keep doing exactly as I say, and *maybe* we will give you a 25 cent raise this year. Oh, and asking questions bothers us, so we'll act annoyed if you want to understand how things work".

If nothing else, it may look good on a resume.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Most things about this company, I have discovered, is deceit. Examples:

2. it's because their benefits aren't as good

3. how can other people take those openings if they "dont have" their QPR's complete, like you? QPR's are opened and closed on the same schedule for everyone

so before you whine more in this thread with the old "i'm just a cog in the wheel" gimmick, can you give a little more detail as to what your FT is doing, and what he expects you to do?

ManInBrown

I don't post here as much as some other people but I believe TearsInRain is some form of management. He's an asset to this forum. I appreciate his input. Seems like a good guy.

JackOfClubs

PT Bureaucrat
Some hubs are setup that way. Technically, the way your location does it is the way it's meant to be. But in many locations, mine included, they'll give you the $1 everyday after you're certified just to keep people. I know people who get coded in as pickoff who don't even load in areas that have a pickoff anymore.

It's not so much about the money; it's that they lied to me about the pay.

so before you whine more in this thread with the old "i'm just a cog in the wheel" gimmick, can you give a little more detail as to what your FT is doing, and what he expects you to do?

1. I informed him of an hourly who was feeling pain in her lower back. I talked to her and documented it. Having always been told to get a FT involved immediately when I suspect an hourly is hurt, I told him and asked him to follow up. He accused me of "not taking ownership" and "passing off responsibility", when I was doing exactly what I thought I was supposed to do.

2. I talk to my people about following the methods, and would wager that I write them up for safety and methods issues more than any other sup in my area. However, he heavily implied, twice, that I wasn't doing enough, that I was just looking the other way.

3He had my employees stretched very thin on the bag lines; they had to run to opposite ends just to keep up, and the floors got messy. He blamed me and my workers for a situation beyond our control.

4. When my area is messy due to heavy volume, he claims that we are messy because my people "aren't following the methods". It's much more than that, but I don't think he wants to admit it.

5. He snapped at me when I asked a simple question regarding a write-up that required a union steward.

6. He informed me of a problem on my line, and I replied, "gotcha", meaning that I was acknowledging him and taking care of it. He sarcastically replied: "missorts, gotcha, mistagged bags, gotcha", as if I don't care about my job.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
1. I informed him of an hourly who was feeling pain in her lower back. I talked to her and documented it. Having always been told to get a FT involved immediately when I suspect an hourly is hurt, I told him and asked him to follow up. He accused me of "not taking ownership" and "passing off responsibility", when I was doing exactly what I thought I was supposed to do.

2. I talk to my people about following the methods, and would wager that I write them up for safety and methods issues more than any other sup in my area. However, he heavily implied, twice, that I wasn't doing enough, that I was just looking the other way.

3He had my employees stretched very thin on the bag lines; they had to run to opposite ends just to keep up, and the floors got messy. He blamed me and my workers for a situation beyond our control.

4. When my area is messy due to heavy volume, he claims that we are messy because my people "aren't following the methods". It's much more than that, but I don't think he wants to admit it.

5. He snapped at me when I asked a simple question regarding a write-up that required a union steward.

6. He informed me of a problem on my line, and I replied, "gotcha", meaning that I was acknowledging him and taking care of it. He sarcastically replied: "missorts, gotcha, mistagged bags, gotcha", as if I don't care about my job.

1. you did right, he's dumb
2. he's dumb
3. depends on what your PPH requirement were for that day; you should look at your DOP before every shift and know yourself what your staffing should look like; i'm sure he probably shorted you for some other work area, but if that happens you should talk to whoever the manager is and let them know he's shorting your area per the DOP and that you can't be productive if he continues to do that
4. same as i said in 3
5. sounds like a jerk
6. sounds like a jerk

do you interact with your manager at all? i'd talk to him about the way this guy is behaving and see if you can get yourself or him moved; if you get nowhere with that, you can basically either call the corporate line on him for harassment whenever he acts like a jerk, get another job, try to get promoted around him, or just wait until he inevitably gets shifted around

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I want to go back to training. I told him this, citing that I was better at training new hires, but I have also expressed interest in becoming a FT sup. I thought I would have some opportunities since my hub is expanding. He said I "needed this experience if I wanted to go full time".
He's right. If you want to go FT you need to gain experience in more than one area. What use are you if you only know how to run one area of the operation? The problem with PT Sups in the hubs is they don't teach you guys anything. You should be jumping at any chance you get to learn something new. That's what I did and I became an asset because I could go anywhere they put me and not only complete the task, but do it well. I learned preload, local sort, and dispatch before they even let me interview for FT. It's the way it should be, because if you don't understand what's going on you're going to fail.

And seriously dude, if you think the crap you go through as a PT Sup in the hub is hard, you're going to get eaten alive as a FT Sup. It doesn't get any better. You have to learn to take some punches.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That may be difficult under your current FT sup. Remember he/she controls your rehire status.
That rehire status means nothing. If someone calls the company in regards to a candidate they are looking to hire we are only allowed to say they worked there and what dates they were employed. Nothing more.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
QPR's for 2016 are already closed. You should be having your performance review any day now. And with the new My Talent system you will get a review quarterly.

Frankly though, if you don't know where you stand, you just aren't paying attention.
PT Raises suck, but the FT ones more than make up for it. Trust me.