"On topic" How are checks taxed, union dues? child support?

Brownpants80

So eventually when our retro checks come, my wife had a good questions yesterday and I havnt thought about it, so maybe some of you in the other regions who have gotten your's already may know the answer.

Are they taxed at 22% like the IRS says lump sums should be, Or just your typical tax % they take from your normal checks?

Do they take out child support? Example... I'm ordered to pay weekly $67.00 they automatically take it from me every week, so do they add that in or take a larger amount?

Do they take more then usual union dues?

And do they take 5% of the whole check for your 401 k?

Obviously that's a-lot of questions. Just wondering what can I expect. Don't want to tell my daughter I'm getting her a car if I'm really going to only have $5 left lol. I'm still in progression so I assume my check gross should be around 4-5 k, since it will be such a large amount I'm not sure how all that would work.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I'm local 710, so your mileage may vary. (Also, part time, if that matters.)

I was taxed at my regular rate, relative to my other checks.
Not a clue about child support.
My retro check had no union dues taken out.
No 401K, so can't answer either.

Half way helpful, huh? :wink2:

So eventually when our retro checks come, my wife had a good questions yesterday and I havnt thought about it, so maybe some of you in the other regions who have gotten your's already may know the answer.

Are they taxed at 22% like the IRS says lump sums should be, Or just your typical tax % they take from your normal checks?

Do they take out child support? Example... I'm ordered to pay weekly $67.00 they automatically take it from me every week, so do they add that in or take a larger amount?

Do they take more then usual union dues?

And do they take 5% of the whole check for your 401 k?

Obviously that's a-lot of questions. Just wondering what can I expect. Don't want to tell my daughter I'm getting her a car if I'm really going to only have $5 left lol. I'm still in progression so I assume my check gross should be around 4-5 k, since it will be such a large amount I'm not sure how all that would work.
Good question

I invest most of my money for future me. Tax deferment isn't that big of an issue for me, and since UPS doesn't match, I'd sooner take more control of my money, and have access to it.

Besides. How could I bet my retirement savings on bitcoin if it is in a 401K???
Not even a ROTH? You don't pay any tax on the gains. You also have protection from creditors and lawsuits in your 401k. Something to think about

MattM

Have you ever cashed out option days/personal days? Im gonna bet it's in the same wheelhouse. The retro will basically be a second paycheck for that week and should only have a large 20-25% taken out for feds.

The last retro came in the middle of the week (5/27/14) and for that check, it didn't have my weekly deductions on it. Only my 5/30 check had those deductions.

I ask about option day cash outs because my recent cash out beginning of 12/18, there were no deductions taken (no 401k or stocks). They were however taken from my regular paycheck, both dated 12/7/18

Brownpants80

My retro check last time was taxed at the regular rate and my 401k contribution was deducted.
Last time you got your retro check, was it the difference in pay from the day the last contract "expired" or was it just when you hit your yearly seniority mark till the time the new co tract passed. For example... i was slotted in for progression so instead of 21...i shoulda been at 24. My union steward said we dont get that from aug 1st till the date it finally passed but only from march when i actually hit my 2 year mark, so my retro check would then be the 3.50 difference from march till may. Not from aug till may. Then i had people tell me he didnt know what he was talking about. Can anyone for sure claify? I know some people got theres already. That would be a hell a difference from what i was expecting!

Mr. Marshall

That is an insanely low child support deduction. We have such goofy laws where some people have to pay thousands a month and some people pay $250 (I guess). Unless you have another job where the rest is deducted from I have never heard of such a low amount.

Brownpants80

It is low, She could take me for way more. Its baced off an old job from 7 years ago (before ups), and she knows we have our other kids who live in the house that we provide for, and we dont get state aid like she does lol. Im lucky so far that she tells the court she doesnt want more. So in turn they dont raise it. Plus i made it clear, i didnt bust my ass to get a good career just to give her a rediculous amount of money thats completly uncalled for. Im not supporting her, and her other 4 kids. I support my daughter. I support my daughter outside of the support order anyway with cloths and shoes and toys and everything on top of it. I told her if she tried to take my carreer and make it her payday then id just quit. If she wants a bunch of money, she can work. Her husband works, there household is steady. Theres no need for me to give them thousands of dollars a month. If it was just her and my child, different story. But theres another working man, and his 4 kids so no. I worked for it. Not them. He has fingers, he can apply at ups lol.