On Topic - Not sure who to speak to about this/what to do..

DavidC

Hi, I found this forum via the internet (obviously). I've been a driver (FT) for 20 years now, and am asking this for a friend of mine I work with that started around the same time:

"I'm trying to word this so it doesn't come across in a way that isn't intended:
Recently, I got a new driver on the route next to me. My sup warned me that this driver goes to the union over anything, etc. (which I found odd to tell me anyways)

The driver is constantly under dispatched 110 stops which isn't even an 8 hour day, while I have 170 stops, and am getting home by 10pm some days. I have seniority (though I'm not sure it matters) and ultimately would not like to be doing this amount of stops a day as well as the drivers pick ups.. I have never gone to the union in my 20 years of driving. I have read about the 9.5 list and it seems like a hassle to have to keep grieving to be on it, but I wouldn't know since list I said I've never tried to be on it since until now, they've NEVER put this amount of work on me.

So I'm not sure what to do and now I feel like the sup told me that because he knew I'd end up considering the 9.5 list, and trying to intimidate me out of it? Anyways, what would you guys do? or recommend?"

Thank you all!

over9five

Staff member
You have 20 years in, certainly you're not intimidated by management.
Sounds like your new loop buddy knows what he's doing, follow his lead!

IESucks

Hi, I found this forum via the internet (obviously). I've been a driver (FT) for 20 years now, and am asking this for a friend of mine I work with that started around the same time:

"I'm trying to word this so it doesn't come across in a way that isn't intended:
Recently, I got a new driver on the route next to me. My sup warned me that this driver goes to the union over anything, etc. (which I found odd to tell me anyways)

The driver is constantly under dispatched 110 stops which isn't even an 8 hour day, while I have 170 stops, and am getting home by 10pm some days. I have seniority (though I'm not sure it matters) and ultimately would not like to be doing this amount of stops a day as well as the drivers pick ups.. I have never gone to the union in my 20 years of driving. I have read about the 9.5 list and it seems like a hassle to have to keep grieving to be on it, but I wouldn't know since list I said I've never tried to be on it since until now, they've NEVER put this amount of work on me.

So I'm not sure what to do and now I feel like the sup told me that because he knew I'd end up considering the 9.5 list, and trying to intimidate me out of it? Anyways, what would you guys do? or recommend?"

Thank you all!
The last ten years are the hardest as you age and your body breaks down. The driver next to you is obviously on the 9.5 list. It's time to opt in the 9.5 list. Just tell your steward and keep on him till it happens. Each week you run over 9.5 3 times you will tell your steward that you need to file a grievance. It's simple. You will receive checks for triple time in the amount of hours over 9.5. Time to protect yourself. Been there, done that.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If you let them push you around they will push you around.

you sound like a pushover.

never filed a grievance in 20 years?

I've got more cajones than you.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Stay safe is the most important part.
if you cannot trust your pickups/preloader to be %100 safe to work with day-for-day, go on the 9.5 list. Tripping in a vehicle all day and shoving god-knows-what from outside the PU building into the back is not worth the overtime hours with 20/30 years in...

Even if your management team would rather pay out the penalty for both of them, It will even-out the dispatch to 140/140 and get both a bit of extra cash in grievances.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm out until 10 this time of year and all hell is breaking out? They don't even want us out after 8.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Thank you all!

Time to man up and get on the 9.5 list then grieve as necessary or keep taking it

Poop Head

Judge me.

Thank you all!
Talk to your sup and manager. Let them know you don't want so much ot. If things don't change, get on the 9.5 list