On Topic: UPS Paystub info

Lessetti

I couldn't find a subcategory specifically for this, if there is one, let me know. Been with UPS 6 months now, and today I got something on my pay stub, legal SV 17.10. It's posted below my regular pay, but it's not adding or subtracting from it. There was another post on the forum that mentioned that Legal SV meant "Legal Services" But why is it on my check, and what significance is the number if nothing was changed?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I couldn't find a subcategory specifically for this, if there is one, let me know. Been with UPS 6 months now, and today I got something on my pay stub, legal SV 17.10. It's posted below my regular pay, but it's not adding or subtracting from it. There was another post on the forum that mentioned that Legal SV meant "Legal Services" But why is it on my check, and what significance is the number if nothing was changed?

We contribute a portion of wages on a one time annual basis to legal services provided by the union.

Brown140

It is for Legal Services. You have access to a lawyer. There are a handful of lawyers that you can use free of charge. Contact you local for the list.
This could save you plenty!
Well worth the quarterly $17.10 that is being taxed.

Nimnim

The Nim
That's never appeared on mine in just under 12 years in the Southern region. I know I have lawyers available through my local, but I thought it was included in my normal dues.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It is for Legal Services. You have access to a lawyer. There are a handful of lawyers that you can use free of charge. Contact you local for the list.
This could save you plenty!
Well worth the quarterly $17.10 that is being taxed.
It would seem to me that folks should have the right to opt out from the program?

upsgrunt

Ok, how come I got a letter in the mail several days ago explaining how I had to opt in to get legal services for a $11.95 a month payroll deduction if we automatically get it?

Lessetti

It didn't take anything away from my pay is the weird thing, is that like the pension then, where they just sock the money away for me, only this time they mention it?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Hyatt Legal is an option you change during open enrollment where I am. I had it one year to do our wills and living wills then cancelled it the following year. After reading about union legal representation I called our local and she said she had never heard of it.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
In my area, it's a paid benefit, negotiated by the Union, that UPS pays for, but we are taxed on.

It's similar to the idea of taxed health insurance premiums if you had an employer who paid that on your behalf. Your only cost is the extra amount it raises your taxable income to.

It was always on my W2.

I used the free legal services a few times throughout my career. They only handle non criminal cases and can't be used to sue UPS for any reason.

I used mine for legal advice over the phone and also some will assistance. Great benefit actually.