One delivery attempt

browniehound

I think this is a great idea for a few reasons. First, the customer is either home all day during the week or they are not and if they are not they always wait to the last minute (3rd attempt) to make arrangements for the package. This wastes my time that I don't have for 3 days in a row. Second, they know its coming signature required and they know she won't be home, so why waste everyone's time and effort?

My simple solution: why not just have it delivered to your work to begin with? It would say a lot of people a lot of trouble.

The most loathsome people are the ones who are afraid to answer the door. They watch you walk back to the truck and then open the door when they realize she needs to sign. I don't bite, so don't waste my time please. Answer your doorbell for the love of god. I can hear you 3 feet away from the door!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i also heard ups is gonna use flying robot monkeys with spinning beanie caps that serve beer to replace all operations people....WT@ you people are debating a stupid rumor...............................................................

DS

Fenderbender
Not a rumor,it was the pcm.Now I heard the union is fighting it.
Junior member there had some good points,too bad he can't talk to us civil.

Aaron

They do pay more for a signature required.

Unless the center tags the package as a high value, then the shipper get's a free signature. We've had $10 items get tagged as high value. We'll even see multiple boxes from the same shipper and one gets tagged as a high value.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
i also heard ups is gonna use flying robot monkeys with spinning beanie caps that serve beer to replace all operations people....WT@ you people are debating a stupid rumor...............................................................
I bet flying robot monkeys can read before they post unlike some.......

TUT

Souds like UPS is trying to discourage shippers from using the signature required option. How many times have we been to a nice suburban house with plenty of places to safely hide the pkg and the damn thing is signature required?

That is what is getting me, we have two carriers that have fee's for Residential and Signatures, but they seem they really rather not do them. The why even offer? Or raise their rates to the point they want to again. As for Fedex, from my understanding it is still 3 attempts, however the shipper/recipient have the opportunity to direct a package to Fedex Office for Hold (5 days) at no cost. Ground didn't have that available roughly 6-9 months ago. Express has had it but at the station level.

Semi-Related, I'm surprised both carriers haven't abandoned COD's. Just force the buyer to pay the seller by credit card prior to shipping. I mean really, COD is like early 80's. If your doing business on a COD basis, your a minute from going belly up.

Indecisi0n

That is what is getting me, we have two carriers that have fee's for Residential and Signatures, but they seem they really rather not do them. The why even offer? Or raise their rates to the point they want to again. As for Fedex, from my understanding it is still 3 attempts, however the shipper/recipient have the opportunity to direct a package to Fedex Office for Hold (5 days) at no cost. Ground didn't have that available roughly 6-9 months ago. Express has had it but at the station level.

Semi-Related, I'm surprised both carriers haven't abandoned COD's. Just force the buyer to pay the seller by credit card prior to shipping. I mean really, COD is like early 80's. If your doing business on a COD basis, your a minute from going belly up.

I talked to a business owner on my route and asked why the hell is was still using COD for goods. He said because he has paid people in the past in advance for parts, never received the goods and the company went out of business. He lost hundreds of dollars. He said using CODs guarantees he gets his goods.

TUT

I talked to a business owner on my route and asked why the hell is was still using COD for goods. He said because he has paid people in the past in advance for parts, never received the goods and the company went out of business. He lost hundreds of dollars. He said using CODs guarantees he gets his goods.

Nice set of vendors in whatever industry that person is in. Use reputable sellers. Probably was getting dirt cheap, possibly shady goods then.

QKRSTKR

I can see this coming. UPS is pushing all the time on paid send agains. It's not my fault people live in apts. and the office does not take pkgs. Indirect? A lot of people @ a certain apt. can barely speak english. I'm suppose to ring their bell and explain the package isn't for them, but they need to sign for it and give it to their neighbor. ("What's your last name"? yay yel yem, everything sounds like a and y. When in the hell did the english language round off everything with A and Y?) Leaving pkgs at secure apts. that are note 1. It's like it's coming to the point we are gonna dr everything everywhere. Duplex's. Ring both bells, knock as loud as I can. If no one comes to door, not my fault.

old levi's

blank space
I can see this coming. UPS is pushing all the time on paid send agains. It's not my fault people live in apts. and the office does not take pkgs. Indirect? A lot of people @ a certain apt. can barely speak english. I'm suppose to ring their bell and explain the package isn't for them, but they need to sign for it and give it to their neighbor. ("What's your last name"? yay yel yem, everything sounds like a and y. When in the hell did the english language round off everything with A and Y?) Leaving pkgs at secure apts. that are note 1. It's like it's coming to the point we are gonna dr everything everywhere. Duplex's. Ring both bells, knock as loud as I can. If no one comes to door, not my fault.

Make all packages shipper release. Problem solved.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Since we are making changes can we please get rid of the delivery notes on packages, especially the two sets of notes on checks? Everytime I see the "n" next to a package I simply scan and then hit big arrow down a few times, ignoring the note. We don't need these stupid notes--let us do our jobs out here.

QKRSTKR

Since we are making changes can we please get rid of the delivery notes on packages, especially the two sets of notes on checks? Everytime I see the "n" next to a package I simply scan and then hit big arrow down a few times, ignoring the note. We don't need these stupid notes--let us do our jobs out here.

I agree.

QKRSTKR

They won't do that though. We all read and sign (some) the rules for driver release. They put this pressure on you. I know drivers who dr apts all the time. I think they are nuts. Not a big deal until something comes up missing and you get article 10 and they make you pay for the pkg. They want us to break the rules.

old levi's

blank space
They won't do that though. We all read and sign (some) the rules for driver release. They put this pressure on you. I know drivers who dr apts all the time. I think they are nuts. Not a big deal until something comes up missing and you get article 10 and they make you pay for the pkg. They want us to break the rules.

I'm one of those nuts. All about area knowledge; I have one large apt. complex of nothing but seniors. Have DR there for years. Not one followup.

Indecisi0n

There are really nice apartments around me that i DR to the front door (outside common walk way). I use my judgement. If its a small amazon box ill leave it. Any kind of electronic or if it looks expensive (i read who its coming from) i won't leave it. I go back and forth on this. I really want to just get rid of the package but then again i ask myself what if one comes up missing. I have talked to the neighbors and they told me they always take other peoples packages and place them inside when i drop them. There is still a feeling in my gut that says "stop leaving them." I think i need to listen to that feeling more often.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm one of those nuts. All about area knowledge; I have one large apt. complex of nothing but seniors. Have DR there for years. Not one followup.

There are really nice apartments around me that i DR to the front door (outside common walk way). I use my judgement. If its a small amazon box ill leave it. Any kind of electronic or if it looks expensive (i read who its coming from) i won't leave it. I go back and forth on this. I really want to just get rid of the package but then again i ask myself what if one comes up missing. I have talked to the neighbors and they told me they always take other peoples packages and place them inside when i drop them. There is still a feeling in my gut that says "stop leaving them." I think i need to listen to that feeling more often.

It is all about area knowledge.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Had an apt. Building on my route that no one ever had a problem with. That was until some new Army related rif-raf moved in. The next time I went to this certain apt on floor 2 that liked QVC, there was a note on the door addressed to all delivery people(UPS, Fed-Ex, postal) to will call all packages as there was a new theft problem. I have a feeling that note was meant for the thieves, as much as for us. Too bad, it was a nice area of town. But, thanks to Fort Drum, that is all changing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know its a good area but there is always a possibility a package could come up missing and when/if it does i will be at fault 100% because technically its not a DR situation. Damned if i do damned if i don't.

I don't like send agains and this sometimes leads to poor decisions on my part. I don't get a ton of claims but the few that I do are for apartment DR's.