One Issue

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
How about CSR's doing their jobs instead of the drivers having to do our jobs and theirs. I speak of the on call pick ups where we have to fill out ASD's and GSD's.

H

hseofpayne

If you could address the highest level of management with one issue, what would it be?

Man , I got more issues than sports illustrated, but I guess number 1 for me would be alternate work for permanently disabled employees.:knockedout::knockedout:

S

speeddemon

Taking care of Employees that have given the better part of thier lives for this company. When they get hurt and disabled from this job, I wish they would quit kicking them out the door, and be financially responsible.

browniehound

Actually PMan, I refer to our service since PAS. I remember when the customer knew what time it was, not by their watch, but by seeing the UPS driver walk thru their door. Now many of our customers have no idea when we'll show up. (We don't either!). I realize this doesn't affect time in transit. As long as it shows up before they close, it's on time!

I also realize it's something we had to give up to stay profitable, but it's still sad.

BINGO!
Delivering 2-day airs to a business at 4:55 is making service according to UPS but is a service failure in the minds of the shipper and consignee. What are they supposed to do with these 2-day airs at 16:55? These are normal people, they stop working at 5 pm.

Our managers don't care about what was in these packages as long they were delivered before 17:00. Most of the time these are things the office was counting on earlier in the day to conduct business, yet UPS delivers them (because of PAS) as every employee is going home. To UPS, we made service, but to the customer it was a service failure (So is this really the BEST service?).

Do you think FED-EX has every did this? Of course not. They are on the road at 7 AM and off by 4 PM servincing all of UPS's former customers.

UPS drivers getting sales leads is not the problem, them above situation is!

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Get the drivers on the streets sooner, then if you had to work longer hours it would not be bed time when you got home. Treat hourly employees the same way that they would want to be treated. Sorry that is 2.:peaceful:

I E calls the shot's on how many routes that are run during a given day based on last years numbers. That was last year!!!
With pas, shouldn't they know the volume by say 10pm the night before?
Let the center manager's call the shot's...they are the ones in the middle of corporate and union. I E doesn't have to contend with grievances, so they don't care! Once again, pass the head-ache on to the next guy.
Someday, someone will figure out that we are losing millions of dollars on the "planned number of drivers" BS. There's guys on the clock doing nothing because they would be counted against "the plan".
It costs the company double-time to run missloads....think about it. One driver to run the piece out, the driver comes off trace to meet them. friend-ing stupid! Millions of dollars!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would lock the I.E department in a closet full of maps and crayons and tell them to shut up until they have something relevant to contribute. The company needs to be managed by those who work in the real world.

M

McLeod

The cutting of routes here in our district is like trimming your fingernails ......some is ok but they are at the point now it is really hurting!!! They have been cutting routes in our building like never before. Just blowing everyone up on stop counts and businesses are getting delivered later, the customers are pissed they never know when the goods will be walking in the door. Also with these heavy disbatches there will be more accidents and injuries!!

JustTired

free at last.......
There seems to be a real discrepancy between the real world costs of running the business and the "on paper" costs. I can't quite figure out how this happens, but it must be happening.

While the rise in accidents (at least in part) could be contributed to the extended hours the driver is working (fatigue), it doesn't seem that it shows up on paper that way. Therefore, it must be the lack of knowledge (on the drivers part) in things such as the Five Seeing Habits, Space and Visibility, etc.

Fatigue can have a cumulative effect. One long, heavy day doesn't necessarily equate into a safety problem. But pile them on, one after the other, throw in problems that need to be attended to at home (leaving precious little time for rest), and you get a recipe for disaster.

So, yeah,........I'd say safety ,as it relates to over-dispatching, should be a huge concern from top to bottom.

dillweed

I'm going to get nailed for this but so be it. How is the diversity issue in promotions improving anything more than their public image? Why aren't promotions based on ability rather than ethnicity? How are some of these high up management folks going to feel when their own supervisors are chosen from the quota ranks, some of whom don't have the sense of a blowfly?

Example, our newest pt supervisor is a good guy, likable and so forth but a maroon. He has finally stopped staring into space and sucking on his fingers while his area is going to hell in a handbasket. I had to tell him several times to knock it off before he quit that one.

He puts blank SPA labels on a rotating piece of a conveyor just to watch them whirl around. Yesterday he got creative and drew a red spiral on one, which seemed to amuse him for quite some time. Sort aisle falling apart.

Later that day he was using a pile of stacked small bags as a punching bag. Again, sort aisle needing some supervision. Belts stopped, nowhere to send the pkgs, egress up to our butts but here he is playing boxer man. He knocked a bag of smalls down onto the aisle, then meandered over to turn one of the belts back on. Came back, stepped over the bag and went on down to chat and was probablly sucking his fingers again.

End of the same day, last 10 mintues of sort, drivers are chomping at the bit and I several pkgs that needed to be looked up for SPA labels. He comes up with his clipboard to inform me that I had missed one day last week and had been one minute late the week prior. I asked if he had to do it right NOW? "yes" Can this wait a few minutes until I get these pkgs SPAd and to the belts? "nope, have to do it right now". OK fine, to heck with it. Stood there for five minutes while he blabbered on, refused to sign and finally got the pkgs out.

OK, we have sups of all races who are no smarter than this but boxerman is an obvious example of diversity promotion in our center. Everyone knows it except him, he's bad for moral, bad for the company and, sadly enough, my boss.

I feel that most individuals, regardless of race, have the ability to grow and learn how to supervise in some positive way but in a few cases it's a game that no one will benefit from. So--- how are some of these full time sups going to feel when this bozo gets pushed up higher than them in the ranks and is still sucking his fingers?

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
The decline in service. When I first started I was told, we don't manufacture anything, all we have to sell is SERIVCE. Now I see businesses delivered after 6:00 pm and the manager says it's ok as long as they keep accepting them. I see packages that are missed because of misloads, being recorded as futured.

It is embarassing

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
BINGO!
Delivering 2-day airs to a business at 4:55 is making service according to UPS but is a service failure in the minds of the shipper and consignee. What are they supposed to do with these 2-day airs at 16:55? These are normal people, they stop working at 5 pm.

Our managers don't care about what was in these packages as long they were delivered before 17:00. Most of the time these are things the office was counting on earlier in the day to conduct business, yet UPS delivers them (because of PAS) as every employee is going home. To UPS, we made service, but to the customer it was a service failure (So is this really the BEST service?).

Do you think FED-EX has every did this? Of course not. They are on the road at 7 AM and off by 4 PM servincing all of UPS's former customers.

UPS drivers getting sales leads is not the problem, them above situation is!

I agree, we are going to continue to lose business because of service failures. Just because on paper it is on time, (or futured, without the consignees permission) does not mean it is not a service failure. In my opinion and most likely any shipper of consginee's opinion anything later than 3:00 pm is missed.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
What do you think our on time frequency is? What % of packages are delivered on the correct day and time?

Did you know that UPS measures every pacakge for service and visibility? When a service failure is found, its charged to the appropriate operation.

P-Man

Problem is, this is all on paper, and all managers in all departments will doctor it any way they can to make it appear on time, however, they are futuring misloads and delivering near or after 5 or just before closing time as long as they will accept the delivery, however many, many businesses are unable to use that shipment that day because it is so late, and in many instances it was something they needed that day, but it was delivered just before they left for the day, can you say "SERVICE FAILURE"?

Thorn

My new philosophy at ups is, the company is always right. If they want a business delivered a 455, who am I to disagree? They know better than I how to run the business. Maybe there's some big IE secret on how to run a profitable duopoly that we're not privy to. I say let them wallow in their ignorance. Work as directed and don't worry if fedex takes away more and more market share. Just make sure it looks good on paper.

Maybe after this recession is over and the economy starts humming along again but the stock price is still stuck at $50, maybe someone upstairs will get the big picture.

I had a center manager once that summed it up pretty well...

Don't let your job get in the way of making money.

J

johnny corporate

back stabbers

Employee morale. Why is there such a level of distrust between mgmt and employees?:dissapointed:

they use you expect 1000,000,000 favors from you dog you and the minute you do something they dont like they come after you like border patrol officers. funny how we are nothing but a number what you do is never enough.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...Example, our newest pt supervisor is a good guy, likable and so forth but a maroon. He has finally stopped staring into space and sucking on his fingers while his area is going to hell in a handbasket. I had to tell him several times to knock it off before he quit that one.

He puts blank SPA labels on a rotating piece of a conveyor just to watch them whirl around. Yesterday he got creative and drew a red spiral on one, which seemed to amuse him for quite some time. Sort aisle falling apart.

Later that day he was using a pile of stacked small bags as a punching bag. Again, sort aisle needing some supervision. Belts stopped, nowhere to send the pkgs, egress up to our butts but here he is playing boxer man. He knocked a bag of smalls down onto the aisle, then meandered over to turn one of the belts back on. Came back, stepped over the bag and went on down to chat and was probablly sucking his fingers again.

End of the same day, last 10 mintues of sort, drivers are chomping at the bit and I several pkgs that needed to be looked up for SPA labels. He comes up with his clipboard to inform me that I had missed one day last week and had been one minute late the week prior. I asked if he had to do it right NOW? "yes" Can this wait a few minutes until I get these pkgs SPAd and to the belts? "nope, have to do it right now". OK fine, to heck with it. Stood there for five minutes while he blabbered on, refused to sign and finally got the pkgs out....

I laughed out loud at this, thanks...

Surely you can't be serious?