One of my drivers was arrested over the weekend

Monsterlips

Hey Friends,
I have a driver that was arrested for dui over the weekend. What a :censored2: I know. Anyhow as we all know peek is going to crush us all this week. Is that driver immediately disquilified or is he innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of Fedex? I'm very unclear on the this and can't find anything. He has not been convicted , and he still has his drivers license that is valid in Tennessee until after his is convicted. He told me he plans to fight the charge , bla bla bla. If he is still eligible to drive I need him to work.

MassWineGuy

More than likely he was arrested for cause. From a public relations standpoint alone I don't think he should be on the road. Let alone what will happen when corporate hears that you let him keep driving.

Bounty

Hey Friends,
I have a driver that was arrested for dui over the weekend. What a :censored2: I know. Anyhow as we all know peek is going to crush us all this week. Is that driver immediately disquilified or is he innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of Fedex? I'm very unclear on the this and can't find anything. He has not been convicted , and he still has his drivers license that is valid in Tennessee until after his is convicted. He told me he plans to fight the charge , bla bla bla. If he is still eligible to drive I need him to work.
Remember, x tells you the rules for "your" employees. It's not your call.

Monsterlips

Currently I have him replaced ,someone starting tomorrow morning. I need for him to train a new driver on the route. I wouldn't think he would be disqualified from being in the truck or the terminal. How ever I'm not sure.

SmithBarney

Sounds like your driver is up for a promotion, most ground drivers have been arrested prior to being hired...

This question is better asked directly to your boss at FedEx

PT Car Washer

In my state they automatically take your drivers license. Of course UPS being a Union job they will just give you a broom to push until you get your license back.

dezguy

In my state they automatically take your drivers license. Of course UPS being a Union job they will just give you a broom to push until you get your license back.
Really? I'm surprised the union would have much clout.

I know of other unionized places where, if you drive for them and lose your license, you're done as it's seen as essential to your employment

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
From a public relations standpoint alone I don't think he should be on the road. Let alone what will happen when corporate hears that you let him keep driving.

Unless he was out delivering in uniform drunk or crashed a FedEx truck why should a public relations standpoint matter? Joe Blow got drunk and drove big friend*in whoop. Now corporate is a different story on how they choose to handle it.

On a side note, being arrested and being charged with DUI is two different animals. A person isn't always guilty just because they were arrested. Even good cops screw up sometimes, but those good cops don't charge just to stick a charge.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

I'm sure you are meaning something different than what was written. There is NO state in the country where your license is automatically taken without an Admin Per Se violation or blowing over the legal limit. Just being arrested is not enough to take a license.

It will be fine

Currently I have him replaced ,someone starting tomorrow morning. I need for him to train a new driver on the route. I wouldn't think he would be disqualified from being in the truck or the terminal. How ever I'm not sure.
You're fine. Fedex won't know, unless you tell them, until it's time to run MVR's. They run MVR's randomly too but I doubt very much they'd do that in December. There was a guy here that got a dui, got probation where he had to wear an ankle bracelet that tracked alcohol in his sweat. He kept driving, just wore pants all summer. It never showed on his mvr so he was fine. I told his contractor he should probably fire him for being an idiot, but it wasn't my call.

MassWineGuy

Suppose this guy decides to have a drink on the job one day and something terrible happens? How would you feel? It could also expose you to legal trouble.

Oldfart

Suppose this guy decides to have a drink on the job one day and something terrible happens? How would you feel? It could also expose you to legal trouble.
Just because the fella had too many one night does not mean he would drink on the job. Most people have had too many at 1 time or another but drinking on the job is another story. Just because someone shoplifted when they were 10 years old doesn't mean they would steal a customers package.

rod

Retired 22 years

Coming from a guy named MassWineGuy? Really?---How would you feel if they fired you because of your internet handle?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Hey Friends,
At Express it's an automatic driving suspension. Would be surprised if they treat it any differently at Ground.

bacha29

At Express it's an automatic driving suspension. Would be surprised if they treat it any differently at Ground.
I agree. The worst thing Monster could do is not to report the matter to terminal/station management. The guy would no doubt be DQed from driving but he might be permitted to ride along as a helper. It's like Bounty said. Management is the be all that ends all and if they were to get the slightest inclination that Monster is hiding something from them then it's 'Hasta Lavista Baby" because the last thing any ISP would want is for management to get something on him.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
There was a guy here that got a dui, got probation where he had to wear an ankle bracelet that tracked alcohol in his sweat. He kept driving, just wore pants all summer..
surprised to hear he wore pants - seems like the sort of thing he'd wish to display with pride along with all his other bling, tats, piercings and what-not.

overflowed

It use to be. I don't know if it's state specific now. I do know someone within the last year at Express that didn't get suspended from driving until he lost the DUI in court. I do know before that, of people in the same station, that were yanked immediately from driving.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hey Friends,

I'm surprised nobody has asked this yet.

What would your insurance carrier say?

bbsam

Staff member
Monster at this point has plausible deniability. Technically he is required to inform X and dq the driver pending the court proceedings. However, DO NOT try that if and when the driver's license is suspended. Knowingly doing so will get a contract terminated nearly over night.

CJinx

Until he gets a conviction and his license is suspended, an ISP could claim ignorance of the issue and leave him on... However it is time to train up a new driver (especially if anyone else knows as loose lips sink ships). The driver will be DQ'd from driving when the truth comes out but the company can't make you fire him so he can still be a runner or anything else you want him to do aside from drive.