Open Carry

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
A little off topic, but I time studied a driver in Riverton, Wyoming who had a .22 rifle in his package car so he could hunt during his lunch. He had to stop because he kept getting blood on packages, so he switched to fishing. This was in the mid-1980s.

Zowert

In grizzly county it might be go big if you wanna ghance at going home.
You’re right but from what I hear it sounds like he is more concerned about wolves. A .40S&W should be sufficient in killing them, a shot fired would probably scare them away without having to shoot them but you never know. The area he’s in had the last documented human fatality from a wolf attack. It was back in 2010 but they’re still around, my uncle can hear them howling at night. I’m sure the driver has heard them too, even if he hasn’t encountered one that’s gotta be spooky.

Last edited:
I have a relative in town from Alaska, he lives way out in the sticks. He told me the UPS driver that delivers to his remote little town drives around with a Glock 23 on his hip. I said there is no freakin way this is true, UPS would never allow that, but my uncle swears by it. He’s been known to tell some tall tales about big game hunting and whatnot, however I don’t see why he would make this up.

The area he lives in is very active with wolves and other potentially aggressive wildlife. So having a pistol with you whether you’re allowed to or not makes sense. If I had to choose between my job and getting eaten alive by wolves, I’d choose my life every time.

I’m just wondering if there is anyone here that works up in Alaska and has heard of drivers packing heat out in the wilderness. I don’t want to give you the specific area in Alaska my uncle lives in because if this is true I don’t want that driver to get in trouble. Again, I HIGHLY doubt UPS would allow a driver to carry a firearm under any circumstances. I’m also very skeptical of what my uncle has been telling me. Maybe there is someone here that delivers to very remote and hostile areas that can chime in?
Isn't the 23 the mid-sized 40S&W? Is that to throw at the bear and distract it so he can run away?

Zowert

Isn't the 23 the mid-sized 40S&W? Is that to throw at the bear and distract it so he can run away?
I believe the Glock 23 is a full size duty pistol that’s carried by a lot of law enforcement agencies. Not sure the logic in carrying a gun that’s meant to stop humans out in the wild where there are animals over twice our size. Whatever, it’s better than nothing I suppose.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I believe the Glock 23 is a full size duty pistol that’s carried by a lot of law enforcement agencies. Not sure the logic in carrying a gun that’s meant to stop humans out in the wild where there are animals over twice our size. Whatever, it’s better than nothing I suppose.
Mid size. The 22 is full size

Zowert

19 is my favorite.
It’s the most popular Glock in the civilian market by far. My favorite handgun is the Ruger SR22, a little .22LR pistol. I like it because it’s dirt cheap to shoot. I take it camping and shoot that thing in the woods for hours and it only costs me cost me like $15 in ammo. 9mm Luger is around $20 for a box of 50 where I live.

Cowboy Mac

You’re right but from what I hear it sounds like he is more concerned about wolves. A .40S&W should be sufficient in killing them, a shot fired would probably scare them away without having to shoot them but you never know. The area he’s in had the last documented human fatality from a wolf attack. It was back in 2010 but they’re still around, my uncle can hear them howling at night. I’m sure the driver has heard them too, even if he hasn’t encountered one that’s gotta be spooky.
Ok so we have a driver in Alaska who drives a P500 in the summer, a 4x4 pickup with a canopy in the winter, smaller than the one in Colorado who delivers near a USGS station and near the last known wolf attack location. This driver almost got attacked by a bear.

Do you have any other information about this driver? Carol wants to know…

Zowert

Ok so we have a driver in Alaska who drives a P500 in the summer, a 4x4 pickup with a canopy in the winter, smaller than the one in Colorado who delivers near a USGS station and near the last known wolf attack location. This driver almost got attacked by a bear.

Do you have any other information about this driver? Carol wants to know…
Alaska is a pretty big state. Also I don’t even know if this is true, this is coming from my 70 year old uncle who says he was the most successful bow hunter there ever was.

542thruNthru

You tell your uncle I said he talks to damn much and needs to mind his damn business! :)

u-g-P284DG0.jpg

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That he does. I give him a hard time about being the first man to kill a bear with a knife, giving birth to the Ka-Bar. He’s got some wild stories but there is usually a little truth to them. This one tho, I don’t know.
You sure it wasn’t one of the contractors ups uses that do some of those areas way way up in the sticks???

Zowert

You sure it wasn’t one of the contractors ups uses that do some of those areas way way up in the sticks???
That I don’t know. It’s all coming from an isolated old man. This all started when I picked him up at the airport right after work. I was still in uniform, he says “They don’t let you guys carry guns here?” I’m like what are you talking about? Are you insane? “Oh my UPS guy has to carry a gun!” Then went on with the stuff I posted here.

Again he has wild stories but sometimes he’s not full of BS. One time he was telling us a story about how he killed a 10 point buck off his back porch with a bow from about 40 yards, he said the buck dropped dead almost instantly. I said “Pics or it didn’t happen!” Then he pulls an old photo out of his wallet, it was him kneeling over a 10 pointer in his backyard, you could even see the arrow. Okay then I guess you’re not always full of crap. I give him the benefit of the doubt now, kinda why I’m here asking if anyone ever heard of armed UPS drivers.

oldngray

nowhere special
That I don’t know. It’s all coming from an isolated old man. This all started when I picked him up at the airport right after work. I was still in uniform, he says “They don’t let you guys carry guns here?” I’m like what are you talking about? Are you insane? “Oh my UPS guy has to carry a gun!” Then went on with the stuff I posted here.

Again he has wild stories but sometimes he’s not full of BS. One time he was telling us a story about how he killed a 10 point buck off his back porch with a bow from about 40 yards, he said the buck dropped dead almost instantly. I said “Pics or it didn’t happen!” Then he pulls an old photo out of his wallet, it was him kneeling over a 10 pointer in his backyard, you could even see the arrow. Okay then I guess you’re not always full of crap. I give him the benefit of the doubt now, kinda why I’m here asking if anyone ever heard of armed UPS drivers.
I would be more ready to believe it was mailmen that carried than UPS drivers. A lot of people do confuse the two.

DriverNerd

I'm sure the small centers in the sticks of Alaska are just small buildings with very little volume and no metal detectors and no security save a few building cameras. They probably get one small trailer and each driver loads their trucks themselves or just a couple preloaders to load everything. I'm sure he wouldn't be the only driver out there packing. Management on route probably does too. When you're that remote everyone has firearms for protection. I'm sure I would.