Opinions on automotive supervisor position

mook8809

How do u feel about this topic 1brownwrench .... Since you are one of the few on here that can relate... Is this something that is actually a promotion or are they just wanting to find people dumb enough to accept this position?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
You can't be dumb and perform in that position, but it takes a certain type a personality to really be successful. You need good listening skills, determination, people skills, the ability to carry out any orders no matter how nutty, and a thick skin.
Like it was said, everything will be your fault. Expect to get jerked around a lot, threatened (with your job) and dumped on a lot. I've been in management positions before, so I've always passed on the offers here. I'm not cut out for it. I'm too old and set in my ways. I want no part of that.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
I've been a pc mechanic for a year now have not made it through my 4 yr progression but I have been offered a auto supervisor position... I have been told by other supervisors not to venture off down that dark alley but I wanted some more opinions from other upsers/ or supervisors that may be in these positions... Thanks

Everyone is different, but I would think about where you want to be in 10 years. Depending on where you are in the country, the mechanic job will have some big perks over management( IAM mechanics mainly). If you are in a small location, your schedule may never change as a mechanic, or you may move up the seniority list and be on day shift. Either way your schedule will be more consistent as an hourly. Also knowing who your bosses will be could make a huge impact on your choice. You will find yourself working 60+ a week, and if you can't get along with your boss, it will be a rough ride.
The bottom line: know how you are wired. Many people that work for me could do my job. But they don't want too, they don't want to deal with the management side of the job. I like it, some days it sucks, but I like my job.

mook8809

You can't be dumb and perform in that position, but it takes a certain type a personality to really be successful. You need good listening skills, determination, people skills, the ability to carry out any orders no matter how nutty, and a thick skin.
Like it was said, everything will be your fault. Expect to get jerked around a lot, threatened (with your job) and dumped on a lot. I've been in management positions before, so I've always passed on the offers here. I'm not cut out for it. I'm too old and set in my ways. I want no part of that.
Thanks makes good sense

mook8809

Everyone is different, but I would think about where you want to be in 10 years. Depending on where you are in the country, the mechanic job will have some big perks over management( IAM mechanics mainly). If you are in a small location, your schedule may never change as a mechanic, or you may move up the seniority list and be on day shift. Either way your schedule will be more consistent as an hourly. Also knowing who your bosses will be could make a huge impact on your choice. You will find yourself working 60+ a week, and if you can't get along with your boss, it will be a rough ride.
The bottom line: know how you are wired. Many people that work for me could do my job. But they don't want too, they don't want to deal with the management side of the job. I like it, some days it sucks, but I like my job.
Appreciate it ... Good info

Creeper head

My understanding is that ups is not offering pension for management any more, just 401k match to some extent, think about it long and hard, once you cross the line, no going back. IAM pension is very good. I know a auto supervisor that is retiring after 14 years, taking over 3k a month. Mechanic is retiring with 30 years, taking over 6k a month. Lot more headaches, and responsible for everything that happens on the floor. In our district we are getting clerks as auto sups, and we have one that is in for 2 years and he is ready to quick. They will all tell you its a great job, good bonuses, etc. You will have to make it to manager or above to make it worth your while. Good luck in whatever you decide. Another thing, get ready to start paying for medical insurance, all the union perks you have now will all be gone.
Don't get rid of your tools, cause you might need them to make a living, if go in as a sup. and it don't work out, I know 3 sups that have quit, since I have been at ups. 2 managers have gone also.

mook8809

Yah all honestly I don't think it's for me I've heard both sides people who like it and who who hate it... But I'll probly be the one who hates it's ... I don't yell at people I like everyone and I'm not really an :censored2:

mook8809

No I agree with u I'm not saying that's all they do... I'm just pointing out a few key characters of the position that would not qualify me for it. I'm not a pushy person who would want to yell at someone or constantly try to enforce rules on people I would end up doing everything myself because I wouldent have the heart to make others do it... I guess you could say I'm spineless in that department ... Don't get me wrong I would love to be a leader and show people how to do things and train and do whatever I could to help them be successful but that's only half of the job.