Option 3 + Personal Day

This is my first year that I get option week. Southern Regional contract states Option 3 : An employee may elect to take (7) days in (1) day increments. However I also get (1) yearly personal holiday. I just want to confirm my understanding that I would have a total of (8) days I could use throughout the year or if my (1) personal day is counted in with the Option 3 days. What say you?

charm299

This is my first year that I get option week. Southern Regional contract states Option 3 : An employee may elect to take (7) days in (1) day increments. However I also get (1) yearly personal holiday. I just want to confirm my understanding that I would have a total of (8) days I could use throughout the year or if my (1) personal day is counted in with the Option 3 days. What say you?
Yes

clean hairy

Personal day has to be requested on a form provided by the employer.
If the employer does not respond within 24 hours it shall be allowed.
The gist but not 100% contract language.
Option days require notice to employer 60 or 90 min prior to start time.
Can't remember which, but a phone call "this is joe blow I am usong option day today. Then hang up and do not answer any calls from work.

dogs.bite.me

This language is true. You will get 8 option days once you hit 3 years of service or go full time.

GenericUsername

Option days require notice to employer 60 or 90 min prior to start time.
No it doesn't. Not in the Southern. You can show up to work, not punch into your board, walk to your car and then go to the office and state you're taking an option day. This can be 1 minute before start time or you could be courteous and call in earlier. Speaking from personal experience here. :)

charm299

No it doesn't. Not in the Southern. You can show up to work, not punch into your board, walk to your car and then go to the office and state you're taking an option day. This can be 1 minute before start time or you could be courteous and call in earlier. Speaking from personal experience here. :)
We have to call an hour before, southern supplement

GenericUsername

We have to call an hour before, southern supplement
Please show me exactly where. It does not exist. I would LOVE to see where it says "You must call in 1 hour before shift." It's simply not there. I've read it multiple times.

If you search the words "one hour" all that comes up is "7. The individual must complete a minimum of one hour of training to be eligible for the premium pay, and such employee will receive the premium pay for all hours worked in that classification for that day." The words "1 hour" quotes part of a huge number in some obscure passage.

Upon more research, searching for the word "before" does not include any verbage ANYWHERE in the Southern Supplement regarding time to call in prior to work.

charm299

Please show me exactly where. It does not exist. I would LOVE to see where it says "You must call in 1 hour before shift." It's simply not there. I've read it multiple times.

If you search the words "one hour" all that comes up is "7. The individual must complete a minimum of one hour of training to be eligible for the premium pay, and such employee will receive the premium pay for all hours worked in that classification for that day." The words "1 hour" quotes part of a huge number in some obscure passage.

Upon more research, searching for the word "before" does not include any verbage ANYWHERE in the Southern Supplement regarding time to call in prior to work.
Past practice

GenericUsername

Bruh, you got your panties in a bunch? I’m just telling you what I’m told by the business agent and stewards
Funny. I'm in the Southern. Everything I've said has landed my center manager in scolding hot water. I've filed multiple harassment grievances and letters of concern to the union/UPS HR about this exact scenario. You can show up 1 minute prior to start time and choose to use an option day. Past practices be damned, there isn't anything in the Southern Supplement or National Master that states you're required to give them an hour notice. If you don't believe me, try it. Tell them to show you where in the contract it states you have to do that. They won't be able to, just like you haven't been able to show me.

Have a good night.

charm299

Funny. I'm in the Southern. Everything I've said has landed my center manager in scolding hot water. I've filed multiple harassment grievances and letters of concern to the union/UPS HR about this exact scenario. You can show up 1 minute prior to start time and choose to use an option day. Past practices be damned, there isn't anything in the Southern Supplement or National Master that states you're required to give them an hour notice. If you don't believe me, try it. Tell them to show you where in the contract it states you have to do that. They won't be able to, just like you haven't been able to show me.

Have a good night.
I’m with you not against you. I’m gonna check into it, I’m just going off what I’m told. I’ve never tried calling in later then an hour before

While I agree that there is no language stating in what time manner you have to give them notice of option 3, they will throw out “past practice”. At my center they say 1 hour prior to shift. Frankly that’s being generous. I like your 1 minute notice. The only language of prior notice was for the personal day.

GenericUsername

While I agree that there is no language stating in what time manner you have to give them notice of option 3, they will throw out “past practice”. At my center they say 1 hour prior to shift. Frankly that’s being generous. I like your 1 minute notice. The only language of prior notice was for the personal day.
I still like to attempt to give them an hour because there are on-roads in my center that I do like. But if I come in and my route is cut that day and they have me on a trash route? Buh-byyyeeeee