Option Days

laffter

I now qualify for a week of "option days" for next year. I was approached by my FT sup today to make a decision on how I wanted to use them. I told her I'd decide by tomorrow.

Although she did have a paper for me to sign, which I didn't read, I'll be sure to read the options tomorrow as they are stated on the form. She explained my options to me verbally and I want to make sure that her understanding of it was accurate.

Option 1 was to use them for five consecutive work days (a full "week") and be paid for five days.

Option 2 was to use them for seven separate days, but any "sick" or "no show" days throughout the year would apply towards those seven.

Option 3 was to be paid for seven days of work and receive no paid option days off.

Did she explain it to me correctly?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Down here anyway, some folks take option 1 as another vacation week, the cons of that is the company can assign that week for you if they have openings in a particular week. You may be forced to take it in January, depending on your seniority. A majority of our drivers take the third option, so you can call in at an hours notice for whatever the hell reason you want. Of course, I was a feeder driver, and we had a bunch of guys over 50 years old. A lot of ows and pains for the geritol generation.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think it's just five days anyway you cut it. It's 5 sick days or 5 option days or 5 for a week of vacation.

Your other two are optional holidays you get no matter what.

Johney

Take the option as extra week vacation? 58 hours paid out. Take it as a buy back? 58 hours pay out. Take it as individual days? 56 hours. Seven,8 hour days=56 hours. At least that's how it works here. Every driver in our building takes the ind. days. That's a lot of money they save by shaving those 2 hours from everyone every year.

Take the option as extra week vacation? 58 hours paid out. Take it as a buy back? 58 hours pay out. Take it as individual days? 56 hours. Seven,8 hour days=56 hours. At least that's how it works here. Every driver in our building takes the ind. days. That's a lot of money they save by shaving those 2 hours from everyone every year.
If they pay everyone off,UPS Is way ahead of the game. even though they paid you an extra 2 hours, the saved a ton.

If you had 70 drivers in your center. and they used all of their option days,every year.

UPS would need atleast 2 extra drivers, to cover for them.

That extra little payout,is to the companies advantage.

Johney

If they pay everyone off,UPS Is way ahead of the game. even though they paid you an extra 2 hours, the saved a ton.

If you had 70 drivers in your center. and they used all of their option days,every year.

UPS would need atleast 2 extra drivers, to cover for them.

That extra little payout,is to the companies advantage.
Not sure I follow ya I've? If they pay everyone off then they all get paid and work all the weeks,paid twice right?. Instead of taking a day here and there then getting paid(like vacation) and paying a lower rate cover driver to cover it.

Not sure I follow ya I've? If they pay everyone off then they all get paid and work all the weeks,paid twice right?. Instead of taking a day here and there then getting paid(like vacation) and paying a lower rate cover driver to cover it.
That would mean,they would need extra employees. extra benefits,extra vacations,uniforms ...etc.

Sorry if I didnt post it correctly,sometimes what is in my head
Does not translate to the keyboard

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I take my 5 optional and 5 sick days and bid them out same time we bid on vacations for 2 extra weeks of vacation. 2 extra weeks at 9 days off does a body good lol.

who_better_than_me

Doesn't option three result in that high tax ......? I remember when I didn't use any of my option days my first year elgible and when I got the live check at to the conclusion of the calendar year, I noticed my taxes were a lot higher than usual.

laffter

When I listed the options, I accidentally reversed 2 and 3.

Anyway, I selected 3 (2 in the list). And indeed, as described on the form I signed, I'll be given 7 separate option days throughout the year. Any call-ins or no-shows will be paid at the standard (part-time) 4-hour holiday/vacation rate and applied towards the 7. If no days are missed and the option days go unused, they'll be paid out at the end of the year just as the 1 option day I have right now will be.

Sounds good to me.