Orion Compliance

Pkgcar1988

It would like you to back, and back into resi driveways,make a u turn in the middle of the street, or maybe even turn around in a customers front yard, but that is not the way I was trained many years ago so I will just drive around the block 3 times to deliver 2 stops. There is nothing they can do about it until they come out and say it's alright to pull into a driveway and turn around in the middle of the street which they will never do.

Arrow up, if you see the map layout of orion, it does expect you to back in resis. Another thing it does ALOT, is it wants you to walk off not only corner houses but sometimes the second house on a block. It doesn't matter if that corner house is setting in the busiest street in your city, or if the walk is a mile longer than if you parked in front of the house.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm guessing that if someone really wanted to meet the ORION metric of 85% or more there would be some tradeoffs with other metrics. Specifically backing exceptions. From what I've heard about ORION it would require quite the amount of extra backing to be able to get to the next stop. So, I can double my backing and bust other metrics that used to be a big deal as long as I meet the 85% metric?
You are correct sir. You can't follow Orion without constantly turning around in driveways all day.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

Overpaid Union Thug

Well, we aren't getting ORION until sometime in 2015. Hopefully by then the "New Toy Syndrome" will have worn off enough so that safety and common sense could prevail over the 85% metric.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
look at the shelf positions of the work to be delivered genius... I think you will understand what he is trying to demonstrate. ....

TOS.

Sonny, go back and actually read my post and think about it.

I am well aware of how ORION has you jumping all over your load. I am also aware that one of his street names is odd enough that there can't be more than one or two in the country.

Sincerely,
Genius

giggity

in one segment of my stops I had a dead end neighborhood where I had to do NINE left hand turns to run 5 stops. I am also forced to do u-turns and backtracks all day. but somehow this is supposed to be more efficient. it sucks. and our center is set for 90% not 85% ..

in one segment of my stops I had a dead end neighborhood where I had to do NINE left hand turns to run 5 stops. I am also forced to do u-turns and backtracks all day. but somehow this is supposed to be more efficient. it sucks. and our center is set for 90% not 85% ..

Left hand turns are the new right

nocturnalbuck

If orion adds 1 mile or 1 back it will be an absolute FAILURE. Backing is the most dangerous act a driver can perform , or so i was told. i was also told at hire that my job as a professional driver was to del all my pkgs in the LEAST amount of miles. btw, how much did this program cost??

Pkgcar1988

If orion adds 1 mile or 1 back it will be an absolute FAILURE. Backing is the most dangerous act a driver can perform , or so i was told. i was also told at hire that my job as a professional driver was to del all my pkgs in the LEAST amount of miles. btw, how much did this program cost??
That's a very good question, but one you will never get an honest answer on. They will never tell you what kind of money was spent on something that is a complete failure.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have been saving all of the safety handouts from the past year about unnecessary backing moves,backing avoidance and what consitutes a 'safe' back so that when the ORION trainer rides with me and wants me to back into a driveway i can show proof i have been trained not to do so. I have no interest nor any desire in beating or improving ORION. I want to be the driver that is 100% in compliance every single day,and I am encouraging all of the drivers in my center to adopt this same mentality.

Pkgcar1988

You can run Orion safely, but it just racks up the miles so you are not in compliance with the mileage portion of the program but you still can run at least 85% Orion trace. I just can't seem to get the two together, one or the other.
They have not said anything to me about being over on miles only the fact that I wasn't hitting the 85% metric. I am sure the mileage portion will come into play after a couple of days of being 20 miles over.
I told the person who trained me that I will not turn around in a driveway that the only way to the next stop is to go around the block again. They just sat there and looked around and told me to drive around the block.
I deliver in a metro area not out in the country where you have long lanes or a gravel driveway, where is the only way I would back into or turn around in a driveway. In the "old" days that would have been an avoidable backing situation and if something were to happen you will be written up, warning letter, or even fired.

govols019

You smell that?
We've been on ORION for over a year now. Sometimes it's dead on the way it should be ran and then sometimes it loses it's damn mind.

It's an imperfect system(like most things in life) that has potential to work if only the time and money needed are spent on implementation.

Pkgcar1988

We've been on ORION for over a year now. Sometimes it's dead on the way it should be ran and then sometimes it loses it's damn mind.

It's an imperfect system(like most things in life) that has potential to work if only the time and money needed are spent on implementation.
I agree, some days it's like someone has sat down and set it up stop for stop and actually had some area knowledge. BUT that may happen one day out of five.

bumped

Does Orion have a percentage listed on the screen of the DIAD of your compliance. If management wanted you at 85%, you should have an updated compliance measure throughout the day.

Pkgcar1988

That's what I told them when they said " You don't have to be 100% just 85%." I said well how many times can I deviate from the plan and know that I am going to attain 85%, they didn't have answer so 100% it is.

browniehound

We are scheduled to get it this year and i'm going to be 100% in trace every day. This is the new UPS and it's no longer my job to manage the route as this is done by people in cubicles in Atlanta with ME degrees . My job is to follow the plan they implement and to work safely and by the methods. My stress level will go WAY down,as i will no longer have to make decisions that I may have to answer to.
Had a guy in my center run Orion 100% one day. The next day they called him an idiot (not in those words) and told him not to do that. Well which is it? Is it the best way to run the route or not? They tell him to run it within 85% And he asks "well which 15% do you want me to ignore?" which I think was a legitimate response.

To begin with the thing is so stupid its not even funny. I try to give it a chance but most days I just look at it and say to myself "are you kidding me? not today". It starts with the fact that your running your airs based on leaving the building 10 minutes after punch in, but my average leave building is 20-30 minutes after my start time.

So once I can't start the day using it, it screws up the entire Orion plan from then on. Besides, it has me doing bulk dock stops while the entire rear of the truck is full of packages and no possible way of delivering it.

And I understand its about saving miles but what about extra time its adding to my day. I'll have 1 NDA and 11 grounds for one stop that takes 10 minutes to get in and out of the place (security, distance from the road, ring bell wait) and it only wants me do deliver the NDA and drive back later when in 30 seconds I can have the grounds off too, which I do(its also about .5 miles off the road so I save a mile right there by delivering both and save the company 10 minutes of labor costs to boot). If they only knew what I just did for them and their nonsensical Orion system.

Which brings up another thing. Orion separates NDA, NDA savers, and grounds in EDD. So you'll go to a stop with 2 NDA, 3 NDA savers, and 25 grounds and without really thinking because you are in a rush to get your airs off, scan a ground first and the count in the DIAD will go down to 0 and you think your done. Not! You get to the next stop and realize you didn't deliver the 2 NDA's that are loaded in 1000 section and not with the 25 grounds+3 savers loaded RDR for that stop.

ManInBrown

So basically it has you working from the back of the truck towards the front? I can't see how that's even possible, especially on a couple of the routes I run..

It doesn't have you work from the back to the front. You might have 1 or 2 ground stops mixed in during air from the 7 or 8000 section. If you can get to them you get em. If not, oh well. But after air it basically has you working section to section like normal but not in exact sequence. It might go 3087,3813,3450. You're not in a different section at every stop

browniehound

View attachment 10946
Just an example of orion
I love it! How long is it going to take you to find the 2 packages for Amherst Cir loaded in 5750? Assuming you don't have 2 or 3 bulk stops blocking your path when Orion tells you to deliver it. Or you can do what I was told on my Orion ride: just step on your customer's packages that are in your way to reach that book from Amazon loaded in 7825. Its exactly what's keeping our customers from switching to FedEx ground: the footprints they get on all their packages now because of Orion.