Orion delivery system

JackStraw

Just wondering....what happens when the price of fuel goes down? Labor costs are not going down, and from what I'm gathering here, everybody's paid day is increasing big time because of Orion.

Back first

I have been able to run my route and consistently beat Orion. Today they said we want everyone at 90% trace. Today I am running my route by Orio
UPS says it is awesome
"
With regards to the bottom line, the software that was launched a while ago and is still in its deployment phase is a result of heavy investment by the company. ORION helps UPS drivers find the fastest, most fuel-efficient route to get every package to a customer’s door and saves millions of dollars in fuel.
The company saved 3 million gallons of fuel during its testing phase of the program from 2010-2012. For 2013, the expected savings is nearly 1.5 million gallons. Once the program is rolled out to every driver by 2017 it is going to save around $50 million by taking just one mile off each driver’s daily route."
dude drinking the kool aid much! I don't know about your center, but in my center most drivers are paid over and over the miles when following ORION. I have been beating ORION's miles daily when I run my rt. my way. Today I was told I needed to be at. 90% no problem WAD

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Can't wait till my center gets ORION...

Our DOL's are so screwed up, it's going to be Keystone Cops.

I mentioned this to an on-car I get along with, and he said he didn't know when we were getting the "O".

The big "O".

Can't wait for the big "O".
Last time I mentioned Orion the on cars had no idea what I was talking about.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just wondering....what happens when the price of fuel goes down? Labor costs are not going down, and from what I'm gathering here, everybody's paid day is increasing big time because of Orion.
But u see that doesn't matter. Orion is strictly about miles that's it!!!! Ask the Orion team how it makes sense for you to work an extra hour at $50 an hour to save 2 gallons of gas at $3 a gallon. Their answer will be a blank state and the reply. Orion is about saving miles.

Here's my theory. Reduce fuel consumption while increasing driver pay. This makes your operating costs even more skewd. The higher percentage of operatin costs that become worker compensation the more likely a wage reduction or tiered pay scale becomes.

JL 0513

What I don't understand is why the load isn't set up to the order ORION spits out. Why is the 8000 section being pulled in the AM? If ORION determines what is the most efficient delivery order then why isn't the preload operation in sinc? For the most part EDD is. Under EDD, the load is in a decent order. Why is ORION not?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What I don't understand is why the load isn't set up to the order ORION spits out. Why is the 8000 section being pulled in the AM? If ORION determines what is the most efficient delivery order then why isn't the preload operation in sinc? For the most part EDD is. Under EDD, the load is in a decent order. Why is ORION not?

Because the ORION order isn't set until the preload goes down.

Pkgcar1988

We had a guy running 35-40 under what Orion said but only at 75-80%. He was told " we don't care how many miles you beat it by you need to be at 85%!!! So now I'm not sure what the objective is, I thought it was to save miles.....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Actually this upgrade is supposed to be comin this year I believe.

They should of never rolled out Orion until this upgrade was part of the system.
Its called Alpha and Beta testing ... working the bugs out and seeing where crucial functionality is missing.

The problem is, the whole ability to forecast every stop on every car never really materialized. Not every shipper is on-line and loads get moved out of hubs without the destination centers being notified. Not to mention PAS/EDD and DOL problems.

What comes after Alpha and Beta testing?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The problem is, the whole ability to forecast every stop on every car never really materialized. Not every shipper is on-line and loads get moved out of hubs without the destination centers being notified. Not to mention PAS/EDD and DOL problems.

Hell otherwise known as roll-out or deployment.
Sounds like UPS is staffing up to roll it out everywhere.
Glad I'm retired.
I helped roll-out the initial DIAD and it sucked big time

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hell otherwise known as roll-out or deployment.
Sounds like UPS is staffing up to roll it out everywhere.
Glad I'm retired.
I helped roll-out the initial DIAD and it sucked big time

It's been 10+ years around here as far as inaccurate forecasts and PAS/EDD/DOL problems have been prevalent. Add ORION on top of that and you have a major clusterf*ck.

Roger on the retired thing.:happy-very:

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I used to do 140 in about 9 hours and around 72 to 74 miles.
With orion I am now doing 140 in over 10 hours and doing over 90 miles.
Looks like it might be time to sell my UPS stock and Buy FedEx because we are on a bad road now.

Oh it also has pissed of my customers who used to get stuff by 2 now they get deliveries past 4, way to go UPS.

upschuck

What is the percentage of packages not electronically labeled. Then add to that after a day all the non electronically labeled is uploaded into the system, making a relatively small percentage that the system should not know about when dispatching.