Orion Enforcement

box_beeyotch

Anyone else's notice that Orion seems to be the flavor of the month? (For my centers who have it)

What do you guys believe to be the real reason behind the system?

babboo25

Banned
We are being told to follow the solution, not stop for stop, whatever that means. We are all working longer, making more left turns. Supposed to save miles but waiting to make left turns negates that.

By The Book

Yeah I understand but at this point it seems like it does the opposite, along with them shelling out overtime pay because the route it directs you in takes much longer.
If your on a tight low mileage route, your probably going to be over miles. The way to get those miles back is to speed/run/take a short lunch. If your Orion plan calls for an hour lunch you should be ahead of their plan if you do those things I mentioned. If your going to drive the speed limit, take a full hour lunch, and not run or cut corners you will be over on miles if you aim for 100% trace. Your trace will drop because of all the breaks you do for del and p/ up service.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I have neither hit my first stop or even turned it on since before peak.

Division manager was at our building and was BSn with "the guys" and asked directly how Orion was going. I told him the truth.

While it seems like it could be a great program it simply can't work. I can not do zero radius turns in a p12 anywhere.

I refuse to not run the ground with my air that I do because that will set me back 1.5 hours if in try to run it later in the afternoon due to traffic. Therefore i can not do the resi stops it wants me to do with my air. They are then at the top of my solution and I would be driving from one end of my del area to the other trying to fit them in a trace that is still trying to del business stops I've already done.

He shook his head and said, I can see that. Guess it still needs some tweeking to work for routes like yours.

We now have a "Orion nazi" who is trying to clean up all the mistakes our implementation team made. He says Iam full of :censored2: and just need to follow the solution. So I did. Was 10 miles over solution from not being able to turn around in driveways and was 2.5 hours over allowed.

Went back to doing it my way an no one has said anything to me on a week about it.

box_beeyotch

I feel like their only enforcing it because they realize it's completely useless, yet they spent so much money on it. Sure doesn't fix the stupid splits you get.

Anthonysg0113

I am also in a p12 and I have the same problem. I run it RDO as soon as I leave the building, and run ODO residential. I run at least 90% trace and stay within 4 miles over/under. That's the only way I can keep my route the same every day. Business first resi last. I thought that's what's kept this company running for 108 years?!?

scisector9

Orion has been a big focus in my building recently also after it wasn't mentioned November through February. Was told at pcm we have one of the worst orion score cards in the district. A 40 something out of 100. It used to be if you can beat orion miles run it however you want now they want us to run 85% trace.

To the ops question of why orion was implemented I think the goal is multi fold. Obviously save money and miles is the big one bit also to cram more work per car on drivers and cut routes. This too saves money but more indirectly. We were told when orion was implemented that we would probably end up eliminating two permanent routes do to efficiency. Not all that has come into play but a lot of routes that used to be in more frequently are in less now. Could be a coincidence. Orion is also a great PR tool to boast technology and reduced emissions that ups can boast about.

The routes that greatly benefit from the solution are the high mileage more rural routes. As a cover driver it does make my life easier on the routes that rack up 200 miles a day. I used to have to print maps and play connect the dots on the runs I didn't know that well. There were times I would "miss a dot" or the county line switched and I would have to backtrack 15 plus miles for one stop. Now I just go to the stop orion tells me to without thinking.

We will see how long the push for orion lasts.

scisector9

I also think orion is another way to keep an eye on us and keep at bay the time and allowance thieving that used to happen. When I started aboit two years ago guys told me "miles are your friend just keep the wheels rolling " guys would even drive aimlessly to reduce the stop count.

box_beeyotch

I also think orion is another way to keep an eye on us and keep at bay the time and allowance thieving that used to happen. When I started aboit two years ago guys told me "miles are your friend just keep the wheels rolling " guys would even drive aimlessly to reduce the stop count.

I agree with that. Another driver and I were just saying earlier that we think it's being used more as a tracking device as it has a fictitious time frame you should be at each stop.

BrownArmy

We don't have ORION yet.

The DOL's for EDD were never properly implemented in my center...there more of a 'best guess' kind of thing. The DOL for most routes in my center are just OK, others are complete trash.

Inject add-cuts, the madness increases.

We ask, advise, beg, mention and plead for numerous changes to be made to the DOL- it just falls on deaf ears.

When ORION comes to my center, it will be a colossal failure.

wayfair

swollen member
Orion has been a big focus in my building recently also after it wasn't mentioned November through February. Was told at pcm we have one of the worst orion score cards in the district. A 40 something out of 100.

must be a common conference call.... "one of the worst (insert activity/back first/idle time/delivery while travel/seat belt violation/pick up compliance) score cards in the district....