ORION + peak =CLUSterMEss

9.5er

My center does not have orion yet. Does it help keep routes from crossing over other routes or do they just keep the same set up they are using now?

Pkgcar1988

Same crap does not fix the way routes are mapped out ,just what order to deliver it in. When they rode with me the person training me says "man your trace is messed up just going to do the best you can." I said well can't you fix that and they said not my job, but maybe someday someone will.LOL

Mack Grant

The smartest artificial intelligence program on the fastest computer has the competence of a preschooler human.
You're right Hoax, but the problem isn't the Gigahertz, it's the fact that the folks implementing these systems/rules have never delivered a package in their life.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Oh! So that's why UPS is so sold on ORION. It's a huge upgrade over the managers doing the dispatch now.
We have Orion on the majority of our routes now and we still have the dispatch manager doing add/cuts moving stuff around. I had 20 pieces in my 8000 shelf today cut from a neighboring driver.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
We have Orion on the majority of our routes now and we still have the dispatch manager doing add/cuts moving stuff around. I had 20 pieces in my 8000 shelf today cut from a neighboring driver.
That's because they got the cart before the horse. The forecast should have been fixed before ORION. If the dispatcher had a good forecast they wouldn't have to do the late add/cuts. Without add/cuts the ORION delivery order could be set before the preload and the cars could be loaded in ORION stop for stop order.

Ouch

Ups has been trying to deskill the package car drivers for a few years now. I guarantee you if we didnt use our common sense daily half of management would be standing in the unemployment line. Yall dont want us to have the ability to make a decision, yall want us like you are, a yes man. But when it comes down to the nitty gritty yall will sure tell us to ignore the board to make service. I mean come on which is it. Do we play by the multi million dollar tool yall developed or do you want us to use our common sense and make service.

Ouch

That's because they got the cart before the horse. The forecast should have been fixed before ORION. If the dispatcher had a good forecast they wouldn't have to do the late add/cuts. Without add/cuts the ORION delivery order could be set before the preload and the cars could be loaded in ORION stop for stop order.
What exactly is stop for stop order? I feel like Ray Charles loaded my truck most of the time. When you go to the sup you get the same answer, just get your route started (aka) get out of the bldg before someone sees you. Go thru it after you get your air off. Another words as long as it leaves the building its not yalls problem anymore. Out of sight out of mind.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
These are the times reciting their 5 keys to backing mantra is all you need. Using their own words against them, then asking what they want you to do going forward makes me smile like an opossum eating peach seeds

JB, Peaches don't have seeds, just a pit, right? Maybe opossums are so stupid they don't know any different? Did I just describe the ORION team?

cb1969

First off, UPS should and is suppose to supply drivers with map books. I have always bought my own, but lets be clear if a delivery company wants to through drivers out there they need to give them the tools!!!! Second when you do not train new drivers in a manner that is conducive to success, don't expect it!!!! Third there is absolutely no system that can replace area knowledge, customer knowledge(knowing best time to deliver or pick up) etc. UPS wants to replace seasoned full-time drivers with cheap part-time untrained people in anticipation and hopes of one day getting contract language one day that would allow them to do that. EDD was to be able to load trucks by untrained cheaper loaders to take advantage so when they cut part-time wages and raises so new pt employees can never make what they used to be able to make...Why would anybody expect UPS to use or bring in any system that does not in some way save them money...They don't train loaders anymore because they know drivers don't want to stay out all day. They don't care about the sanitary conditions of the package cars because they save so much money by not cleaning them...ETC!!!!We might not see how in the H*%$# they are making money using systems that don't work, but trust me the make money!!!