ORION

8000Shelf

I've been following orion 100% and coming in 150 over. It takes a while to cross busy streets 15 times to save 1/10 of a mile. But hey, I don't get paid to think or deviate from their plan.

OPTION3

What happens if you don't follow orion?
I don't know......I follow it 100%. I CAN tell you what happens when you have 30 missed business stops and you are out until 10:00 at night.......min/max went down 25....paycheck went up....... Your stress levels go WAY down when you follow it 100%....supervisors goes way up!

OPTION3

it was so erratic all week. I was off Tuesday, the guy on it was 28 miles over, and 85 in trace. I broke down Monday so I was like 20 over. W/T I was 12/20 miles over, and God knows how late, as I dont look anymore, and 90 + in trace. Today someone came over to test the waters......We gave you back an automatic so maybe you can have a better day, LOL. OMG where did you find this pos, I asked. 300+ thousand miles. So he says, why dont you just do it your way today, well alrighty then.
I did, 5 miles over, maybe 6 if you look at the 10ths. But had 2 oca. And up 2 stops per hour without trying. I love BC advice, it wins everytime it is tried. :group-hug:
Should have said my way is the Orion way.....and followed it 100%.....you prolonged the "fixing" of your route by doing it your way......the on road just needed his boss off his butt....you gave him that. You should have doubled down and forced his hand(which has nothing in it)....lol

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Should have said my way is the Orion way.....and followed it 100%.....you prolonged the "fixing" of your route by doing it your way......the on road just needed his boss off his butt....you gave him that. You should have doubled down and forced his hand(which has nothing in it)....lol
You are right, and thats what I have been doing. It was Friday, I wanted to go home.

Overpaid Union Thug

I haven't used ORION in a long time. I hardly even take a peak at it for craps and giggles anymore. And management hasn't said a word about it in months. It's officially become the equivalent of that expensive, never completed, 1500 piece Lego set that a kid just had to have and and is now sitting in the darkest corner of their closet inside a toy box.

barnyard

KTM rider
I follow it until I can't. Some days, my patience is better than others.

We had small group meetings after the Orion team left going over some stuff. One of the things that was repeated was that, "drivers are ultimately responsible for meeting commits and delivering as smart as possible. Sometimes that will mean deviating from Orion and we expect that. If it becomes a daily occurrence, tell us so we can fix it."

The route I ran last week, I was in the 90+% range pretty much every day and it did make the route easier to run. It is a rural route that can be run significantly different every day. Orion made it so I did not think, just did it, except when I broke trace to deliver a business before 5. Then I did the rest in reverse order. Saved 5 miles that day.

The route I did the week before, I could not follow Orion until I had my air off and 4 bulk stops off.

Seems like Orion is turning into a 'flavor of the week' type of thing.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I haven't used ORION in a long time. I hardly even take a peak at it for craps and giggles anymore. And management hasn't said a word about it in months. It's officially become the equivalent of that expensive, never completed, 1500 piece Lego set that a kid just had to have and and is now sitting in the darkest corner of their closet inside a toy box.

Is it really, that poorly planned and implemented ?

Kind of like compliance with Edd.... or scheduled pickup windows ?

And yet, the company still can't discipline for "production" issues.

What's the point ?

-Bug-

Boulevard859710

I follow it until I can't. Some days, my patience is better than others.

We had small group meetings after the Orion team left going over some stuff. One of the things that was repeated was that, "drivers are ultimately responsible for meeting commits and delivering as smart as possible. Sometimes that will mean deviating from Orion and we expect that. If it becomes a daily occurrence, tell us so we can fix it."

The route I ran last week, I was in the 90+% range pretty much every day and it did make the route easier to run. It is a rural route that can be run significantly different every day. Orion made it so I did not think, just did it, except when I broke trace to deliver a business before 5. Then I did the rest in reverse order. Saved 5 miles that day.

The route I did the week before, I could not follow Orion until I had my air off and 4 bulk stops off.

Wasn't ORION supposed to fix it where we didn't have to make decisions? We're supposed to follow it and everything will be perfect. The fact that it's here and they still say it's our responsibility indicates to me it is a failure.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Honest question....., because I'm not on Orion yet.

Does the Orion solution shift and change as the day progresses, or is it locked in from the morning download.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Honest question....., because I'm not on Orion yet.

Does the Orion solution shift and change as the day progresses, or is it locked in from the morning download.

It stays the same disaster as soon as you download it. It will move a Next Day Air stop up and skip those ground packages you can't find before the commit time though. I usually beat The Solution by at least a couple of miles though by out thinking it. I had a cover driver run my route one day last week. "The Solution" had my route at 99 miles, I don't know why in the world my odometer had 148 miles on it the next day. He must have followed it stop after stop. Its that bad.

9.5 everyday

My center does not have Orion yet. The brilliant minds at UPS think it's a fantastic time to implement this just before peak this year. Sooooo, that should be pretty awesome. I'll only be running 300+ stops and 400-500 pcs.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
It stays the same disaster as soon as you download it. It will move a Next Day Air stop up and skip those ground packages you can't find before the commit time though. I usually beat The Solution by at least a couple of miles though by out thinking it. I had a cover driver run my route one day last week. "The Solution" had my route at 99 miles, I don't know why in the world my odometer had 148 miles on it the next day. He must have followed it stop after stop. Its that bad.

The reason I asked was: I'm revising the puzzle as the day unfolds. That's the one part of the job I still enjoy;
I like the challenge of the puzzle.

I have always thought they paid me to manage the route.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The reason I asked was: I'm revising the puzzle as the day unfolds. That's the one part of the job I still enjoy;
I like the challenge of the puzzle.

I have always thought they paid me to manage the route.
It can be used as a tool. At least not on my route is it and end all be all.