ORION

JL 0513

The first rule in backing used to be DON'T BACK! And stay out of driveways...
At my center we have been told backing to save miles is OK

Depending on the route, expect to use a good 20+ driveways a day. However, not in cities where it's usually not feasible. Orion's mileage calculation only measures right up to the address and if your next stop is in the opposite direction, the rest of the street isn't measured. Even a dead end cul-de-sac.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ORION is based upon two fundamentally flawed assumptions.

Assumption #1 is that your package car is mounted on a turntable and can simply rotate in place after each stop without having to drive to a safe turn-around point.

Assumption #2 is that "bulk" does not exist and every route is loaded such that the driver can open the door, walk thru the car, and select any package off of any shelf in 7 seconds.

These two assumptions are only true in Clarksville, so even if the trace it selects for you is ideal in respect to traffic, parking, minimizing left turns etc it still will not work in the real world.

S

selfcancelsignal

Assumption #1 is that your package car is mounted on a turntable and can simply rotate in place after each stop without having to drive to a safe turn-around point.

Assumption #2 is that "bulk" does not exist and every route is loaded such that the driver can open the door, walk thru the car, and select any package off of any shelf in 7 seconds.

These two assumptions are only true in Clarksville, so even if the trace it selects for you is ideal in respect to traffic, parking, minimizing left turns etc it still will not work in the real world.
Lmao at the turntable comparison. That's just funny! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Lmao at the turntable comparison. That's just funny! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
It might be funny but the sad part is that it is true.

The hands-on work of ORION implementation is being done by people who aren't even UPS employees and whose entire knowledge of our methods comes from downloading a copy of the 340 methods onto a Kindle. To them, a "route" consists of nothing more than a series of dots on a Google Earth map and their only job is to connect those dots in the shortest linear distance possible. Real-world details such as traffic, left turns, parking issues, package selection in a bricked out car etc. are simply beyond their ability to grasp and are therefore left out of the equation.

Box Ox

package selection in a bricked out car

Haven't gotten to run on ORION yet. I'm imagining my first few stops year round will be similar to crawling an upper shelf or two to get to my barn doors during peak season (seriously, am I the only one who has had to shelf crawl or what?). Sounds like a real party.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Haven't gotten to run on ORION yet. I'm imagining my first few stops year round will be similar to crawling an upper shelf or two to get to my barn doors during peak season (seriously, am I the only one who has had to shelf crawl or what?). Sounds like a real party.
dont worry they say we get 16? seconds extra per stop to compensate

ArcherUTR

Assumption #3 that my that IE's time allowances are correct. ORION makes decisions based on where you are 'supposed' to be. Literally everyday ORION is 1 - 1 1/2 hours faster than me without taking a lunch. Now add in 1 hour for lunch. Half the days of the week I have to drive to the bottom of my route and start running it backwards 2 hours after I've already done my pickup run.

These three assumptions are only true in Clarksville, so even if the trace it selects for you is ideal in respect to traffic, parking, minimizing left turns etc it still will not work in the real world.

fixed it for you (fixed it for ya)

and where can I get a copy of the methods because they seem to be changing fast. One of my friends who was 'locked in' was instructed that he was supposed to exit the driver's side door if the package was small enough. That's literally being instructed to jump out into the middle of the street.

By The Book

After all you are "Box Ox"

By The Book

fixed it for you (fixed it for ya)

and where can I get a copy of the methods because they seem to be changing fast. One of my friends who was 'locked in' was instructed that he was supposed to exit the driver's side door if the package was small enough. That's literally being instructed to jump out into the middle of the street.
He needs to expose that safety issue at the next safety meeting.

ArcherUTR

Not sure if it has been talked about...but...the percentage.

It's not how many times you deliver from the top of your screen.

If you break trace but continue to deliver in order ( so skip stop one to deliver stop 12, then do 13 14 15...it's as if you missed one stop). It also doesn't take into account bldg numbers. So as long as you don't deliver a different street, it won't count against you.

Of course that's only something to think about if you're trying to do some complicated math problem to figure out your percentage of compliance.

As a cover driver I don't care as long as I get the route done safely. Management doesn't give me a hard time unless it's my training route.

But I do not believe that it counts as a break returning to the top stop in your board.

Side question: let's say you were being a nice guy and after delivering stop 50 you realize you don't drive a magical u-turn truck and see that there are stops 60 and 61 further down the same residential block. Those are not breaks. But is stop 51 a break. Or if you continue on with stop 62 is that a break?

Did I explain that well enough?

calcio56

Archer... that's a really good question. I would guess if you continued down the block to get those extra stops it would count as a break......though that throws a big wrench in the program

By The Book

He tried to confirm with one of the On Roads to prove the guy wrong, and the On Road backed the OJS police.
Are you saying he brought this up to the safety committee?, if not start there. I know the sup will back the company guy. We as drivers have to push for what was instructed of us before Orion came along, go figure.

ArcherUTR

That's why I would like to get my hands on a copy of UPS's old methods. It's got to be in the methods that you don't go out the driver side door. I thought the method was to go out the passenger side lower stairwell and move to the rear of your vehicle. And across the street from behind your vehicle.

By The Book

Even if there are several other stops on different streets between stop 50 and 62?
Yes, because the street name being delivered to is the same. If your Orion order has you with 4 stops on Elm street with Elm as stop one you can do all Elm street stops in order even though they are stop 3,5,7 and have no break. Later in the day however it may be harder to visualize the path that was intended for you. If you have streets in the morning that are the same as streets in the evening you can skip some morning ones to do later and not have a break.

By The Book

That's why I would like to get my hands on a copy of UPS's old methods. It's got to be in the methods that you don't go out the driver side door. I thought the method was to go out the passenger side lower stairwell and move to the rear of your vehicle. And across the street from behind your vehicle.
You are correct sir.