Orion..

ducktape

Miles, you can figure that out with google maps. Sure there were times i took the long way to a certain stop, I don't do that anymore. Duplicate that and I'm sure that's where the saving in miles comes from. I wonder how many miles the misload shuttle puts on a day.

35years

Gravy route
That's not a good sample. When you actually break down the numbers in PKG where the actual collection of numbers appear, miles are down. We had an ORION call on Friday in my division. Despite have more cars on road Thursday compared to last year we were down 2000 miles.
And how many pickups and how much delivery volume has been lost because following ORION messes up delivery and pick up times? I personally lost 6 pickups to competitors simply because we would no longer honor delivery time verbal commitments in place for decades. In addition, how many of those miles were actually saved because the implementing centers cleaned up EDD trace along with miles saved because of Surepost? The drivers actually using ORION, who know their routes, know if ORION can save them miles or not.

As a full time on road sup you know very well that the ORION solution for each route can be manipulated by the management team on a daily basis.

What would you say would be the result of sending every route in a center out with the ORION plan set for the "traveling salesman solution" with the AM and PM stops set for 0% EDD mirroring? This is supposedly the ORION solution that would produce the least amount of miles. They tried it on my route...HaHaHaHa I laughed all the way to the bank. It added 30-90 miles a day. How many miles do you think ORION would save if every driver followed it 100% except breaking off for service failures?

Stop drinking the Koolaid, or perhaps just spouting the propaganda. The ORION mileage gains are mostly due to lowered levels of service, safety compromises, (backing into driveways) EDD being cleaned up, and drivers making mileage gains despite the ORION plan. If not, then why is ORION manipulated to mirror EDD, or not used at all during peak?

johnny_hotdog

If I follow Orion 100% it actually adds miles to my route. I always have to break trace for air because Orion never gets there on time and then I have to break to get businesses off before 5. I end up driving by the same places 2-3 times a day. I will say I dont follow the pickups because it makes bi sense. I run the pickups the same everyday like I always have so that the customers know what time to I will be there.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ORION doesnt work.
A significant number of management people know this, but they cant say it out loud.
The company spent a billion dollars on it so they have to pretend that it works in order to justify the expense.

TheCreepo

Our center western region , Orion has not worked at all . We get a special visit from corporate this week . On why it is not working at all. Our PDS is a totally idiot you can not run one single route by just Edd .

CharleyHustle

ORION is expected to reduce operating costs by US$300 million to US$400 million a year once it is fully implemented in the U.S. in 2017. More than 70 percent of the company’s 55,000 U.S. routes are now using the software, with an average daily driving reduction of between six and eight miles. To put this into perspective, UPS can save US$50 million a year by reducing by one mile the average aggregated daily travel of its drivers.

I'm just a simple truck driver, but I don't see how this math works. If you only count weekdays, that is 261 days, times 55,000 routes makes 14,355,000 miles, for a 1 mile reduction per day, per route, over a year. Here is where it gets tricky. What is the avg mpg for the fleet? Let's say five. So divide the 14.355 million by 5, that's 2.871 million gallons of gas for a 1 mile reduction per route, per day, over a year. Now, how much does UPS pay for a gallon of fuel? Let's say $2.50. OK, that's a little over $7,000,000. That's not even close to the $50 million they are claiming, and to achieve the $300 to $400 million that would mean a reduction of over 40 miles per route, per day.

tracker2762

I not saying the $50 million figure is accurate but it may include more than just the price of gas. It would be nice if they included how they came up with that amount of savings. I think some of the savings is on labor and maintenance also.

Bottom rung

We hear the speeches all the time about how we're down mileage since implementation. More stops=more density=more routes to cover the same amount of ground. We aren't down miles as a whole but down miles per car. It's a shell game. Like anything in life, it's all about how you want to view it.

Thegameisrigged

Overtime goes through the roof. Where are they saving money?? Orion is impossible with 190 stops and 300+ pieces. You'll be out there until 10:30. What a waste of money.

WorknLateHuh

That's not a good sample. When you actually break down the numbers in PKG where the actual collection of numbers appear, miles are down. We had an ORION call on Friday in my division. Despite have more cars on road Thursday compared to last year we were down 2000 miles.

Probably because one of you went in and fudged the numbers... "SEE! our miles are great!"

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I beat Orion Thursday and Friday by a combined 30 miles and they are still whining that I didn't hit 85%. I've delivered 330 pieces so far today and I still have two businesses and 120 resi stops...it's not possible to follow and I'm doing better on my own anyway...they can lick my little white johnson

wayfair

swollen member
ORION is expected to reduce operating costs by US$300 million to US$400 million a year once it is fully implemented in the U.S. in 2017. More than 70 percent of the company’s 55,000 U.S. routes are now using the software, with an average daily driving reduction of between six and eight miles. To put this into perspective, UPS can save US$50 million a year by reducing by one mile the average aggregated daily travel of its drivers.

I'm just a simple truck driver, but I don't see how this math works. If you only count weekdays, that is 261 days, times 55,000 routes makes 14,355,000 miles, for a 1 mile reduction per day, per route, over a year. Here is where it gets tricky. What is the avg mpg for the fleet? Let's say five. So divide the 14.355 million by 5, that's 2.871 million gallons of gas for a 1 mile reduction per route, per day, over a year. Now, how much does UPS pay for a gallon of fuel? Let's say $2.50. OK, that's a little over $7,000,000. That's not even close to the $50 million they are claiming, and to achieve the $300 to $400 million that would mean a reduction of over 40 miles per route, per day.

okay, now let's figure in the OT that ORION gives the driver, that 50 million saved is costing them 500 million in OT

midwest brown

I not saying the $50 million figure is accurate but it may include more than just the price of gas. It would be nice if they included how they came up with that amount of savings. I think some of the savings is on labor and maintenance also.

Yea maintenance and tires cost a lot. Not 40 million but I'm sure it isn't cheap

Big J

Also add in the amount of business they lose because customers get upset on the delivery times so they switch to Fed-Ex add that amount in. Yes save $50 million in miles lose $60 million in customers. Also the amount of time you pay the driver to dig through the shelves finding the box.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The problem with Orion is the company failed to ask the people who use the system every day how to cut some miles,- us. There is a good reason we do our routes the way we do, usually it has to do with being somewhere at a certain time or working in a way as to stay to the right, or dealing with air and morning bulk. Our loads are set up that way,- RDO.

The solution would have been to modify RDO, tweak it to cut down miles. Don't try to change things, but make what is, better. Perhaps you would shave a few miles this way and actually speed up the paid day.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
ORION doesnt work.
A significant number of management people know this, but they cant say it out loud.
The company spent a billion dollars on it so they have to pretend that it works in order to justify the expense.
ORION doesn't work on my area. My PDS called this morning and asked if I would like the day off as we have many extra drivers. Happily took his offer. He calls back an hour later and asked why I was 39 miles over ORION miles yesterday. Asked him what my ORION trace compliance was and he told me 99%. Go figure!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I will be retired in three years, so I really don't care what they do. However, for the next three years I will bite my tongue and try and do what they ask. Most of the cars in my center are so full, there is no way a person could run Orion in trace, without getting rid of the beef in the middle of the car. We are turning into a glorified furniture delivery company.
Yep... United packmule slaves...lol