Orion..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1460309626.248728.jpg

10 point

thats probably the "switch to RDO" button you are looking at. Mine on an orion route always says ODO in the bottom left side no matter what, but it has the switch button on the bottom right. Which would say switch to rdo while on odo
One of our driver's boards said rdo on the right corner and rdo on the bottom left corner at the same time.

Something's messed up.
The extra money is great and all, but I also would like to get home at a reasonable time most days too. Theres more to life than being at work for 12+ hours a day. Oh and id rather not have to deal with explaining to them why I I'm coming in so far over (due to their :censored2:ty system and loads), being that I'm a relatively new driver (less than a year)
We type the preload info in the electronics when it's bad. When asked about so called "overallowed" we ask them " Didn't you read my preload communication info?".

Be ready for the blank stare.

Foamer Pyle

That's not a good sample. When you actually break down the numbers in PKG where the actual collection of numbers appear, miles are down. We had an ORION call on Friday in my division. Despite have more cars on road Thursday compared to last year we were down 2000 miles.
I would like to know if the overtime paid because of Orion, was worth the 2000 miles saved. Especially since fuel is under $2.00 bucks a gallon.

Foamer Pyle

So, someone correct me if I am wrong. Let's say the average package car get 10mpg, mine does. That means UPS saved 200 gallons of fuel. Now 200 gallons of fuel at 2 bucks a gallon is $400 in savings? Doesn't take much overtime to make that figure negligible.

soberups

So, someone correct me if I am wrong. Let's say the average package car get 10mpg, mine does. That means UPS saved 200 gallons of fuel. Now 200 gallons of fuel at 2 bucks a gallon is $400 in savings? Doesn't take much overtime to make that figure negligible.
You are correct.

Your problem, however, is that you are trying to apply logic and common sense to the situation.

This is UPS, where it is perfectly acceptable to spend $10,000 in overtime to save $400 in fuel as long as the $400 shows up on your report and the $10,000 shows up on someone else's.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I have a 3 year old 800 that takes unleaded.
The mpg on the readout is 6.1 MPG
I would be shocked if the average package car is at 10

Last edited:

opey

lets call it $500 saved in fuel for the benefit of the doubt, thats still eclipsed by only 10 hours of OT from top rate drivers... and thats over 3 months of time, those 10 extra hours could be used in one day at one center

soberups

I have a 3 year old 800.
The mpg on the readout is 6.1 MPG
I would be shocked if the average package car is at 10
The newer gas engined cars get 5 or 6 MPG but the diesels average at least 10. I get between 10 and 12 mpg measured at the pump.

Regardless of the MPG, the overtime resulting from the forced stupidity of ORION far outweighs any possible savings in fuel. And in my case, following ORION would add miles not save them.

Last edited:

8 Hour Day

On the 2nd of 5 rides to attempt to get ORION to work on my route, I was instructed to take a back road for our return to building. I politely pointed out that we never took that road because it crosses a rail yard that often has trains parking on it.

STFU is the best way to summarize the response from the ORION woman in the jump seat. Mind you, this was at 9 PM with 8 hours of work on a route that started at a quarter to 9.

We sat staring at a freight car for 45 minutes.

Love ORION.
Still don't use it.

soberups

On the 2nd of 5 rides to attempt to get ORION to work on my route, I was instructed to take a back road for our return to building. I politely pointed out that we never took that road because it crosses a rail yard that often has trains parking on it.

STFU is the best way to summarize the response from the ORION woman in the jump seat. Mind you, this was at 9 PM with 8 hours of work on a route that started at a quarter to 9.

We sat staring at a freight car for 45 minutes.

Love ORION.
Still don't use it.
But you saved 1.3 miles and thats what counts...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

8 Hour Day

But you saved 1.3 miles and thats what counts...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
That route seriously only saves a quarter of a mile over going to the next street over with a bridge, but even that side street is a traffic nightmare. One of the most entertaining and laughable things about ORION is clicking the little button on the PC at the center that shows how ORION thinks I should route myself to and from the delivery area. One of ORION's eternal and fatal flaws is the inability to factor in traffic patterns.

Now, if they could integrate data from WAZE... I'd be all about it.

BTW, love your signature. Agree wholeheartedly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Shortly after Orion was up and running, we were being told what route(s) we had to take to get to our first delivery stop. Some of our guys who drive up to an hour before they get on area were being sent through all of these back roads, which were shorter in distance but not nearly as quick as taking the highway. Thankfully that didn't last very long and the guys are back to what they used to do.

I got to work a bit early today and overheard the PDS and on-car talking about a certain driver who seemed to have a problem with following Orion. We'll see how that plays out.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
You can count on 1 hand the number of days THIS YEAR that ORION DID NOT have me delivering at least 1 closed bussiness after 5. Until then it just looks like a HUGE ARSE waste of $'s.

wayfair

swollen member
You can count on 1 hand the number of days THIS YEAR that ORION DID NOT have me delivering at least 1 closed bussiness after 5.

you're suppose to go through your ORION list to make sure you don't have any service failures.... ah, you haven't got a warning letter for that yet

Holydriver

you're suppose to go through your ORION list to make sure you don't have any service failures.... ah, you haven't got a warning letter for that yet
but this doesnt work for the guys going out blind who dont know which addresses are business/resi. i have one route thatll be like 100 stops, 200 miles. obviously your last stop of the day will be 1830 or so on a good day. the route has a tiny town that will typically have about 7 deliveries in the town, one of which is a post office. ORION says deliver the resi stops early in the day and will make the last stop on the route the post office every single time. literally, every single time. so in the morning you will deliver to 100, 105, 110 and 112 Generic Ave, and the last stop of the day will be 111 Generic Ave. It blows my mind.

wayfair

swollen member
but this doesnt work for the guys going out blind who dont know which addresses are business/resi. i have one route thatll be like 100 stops, 200 miles. obviously your last stop of the day will be 1830 or so on a good day. the route has a tiny town that will typically have about 7 deliveries in the town, one of which is a post office. ORION says deliver the resi stops early in the day and will make the last stop on the route the post office every single time. literally, every single time. so in the morning you will deliver to 100, 105, 110 and 112 Generic Ave, and the last stop of the day will be 111 Generic Ave. It blows my mind.
there's your protest letter....