OSHA strikes Massachusetts !....What happened ?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Wow that is a hefty fine.

Pocket change to UPS.

Fun fact.

Do you realize that the amount of money in parking tickets in NYC that UPS paid, just last year alone, and in only one city, is over twice the amount of fines they've paid to OSHA over the last 40 years combined?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pocket change to UPS.

Fun fact.

Do you realize that the amount of money in parking tickets in NYC that UPS paid, just last year alone, and in only one city, is over twice the amount of fines they've paid to OSHA over the last 40 years combined?

Unless this has changed UPS, along with most of the major delivery companies, pay a negotiated "fine" in lieu of paying individual parking tickets. I heard the "fine" was $2M/year.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Unless this has changed UPS, along with most of the major delivery companies, pay a negotiated "fine" in lieu of paying individual parking tickets. I heard the "fine" was $2M/year.

This site says $14M

Companies avoided up to $10M in parking fines through city programs, IBO says - amNewYork

This site says they incurred $33M, but did not specify how much they actually paid.

Today’s Pickup: UPS hit with $33.8 million in NYC parking fines; FedEx, $14.9 million - FreightWaves

This site says $14M, but could have paid more without the abatement initiative.

Report: City Discounts Saved Delivery Drivers Up to $10M Last Year

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Pocket change to UPS.

Fun fact.

The Corp Agreement barred OSHA from fining many facilities for the last decade.
The difference between NYC fine tallies and OSHA fines is media coverage. It's coming apart at the seams since the Agreement was abolished and modified.
And it looks like the company hates bad PR worse than fines.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The Corp Agreement barred OSHA from fining many facilities for the last decade.
The difference between NYC fine tallies and OSHA fines is media coverage. It's coming apart at the seams since the Agreement was abolished and modified.
And it looks like the company hates bad PR worse than fines.
The CSA did not protect from fines that resulted formal complaints.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
The CSA did not protect from fines that resulted formal complaints.
Oh yes they did. The fines were less than recommended (or omitted) with the CSA and we saw (and heard) the agents differ fines prior to the Sharonville, OH fine that led to the CSA being nullified.
If you could see every case you would be enlightened.

OSHA is very understaffed in every realm. They are people who actually care about workers safety, unlike the safety committees puppets that so often tow the company mantra.

BTW:
The steward that turned the Sharonville hub (major) egress violations pictures over to OSHA became the target of a witch hunt.
It's no longer about what is right...

it's about who is right.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Oh yes they did. The fines were less than recommended (or omitted) with the CSA and we saw (and heard) the agents differ fines prior to the Sharonville, OH fine that led to the CSA being nullified.
If you could see every case you would be enlightened.

OSHA is very understaffed in every realm. They are people who actually care about workers safety, unlike the safety committees puppets that so often tow the company mantra.

BTW:
The steward that turned the Sharonville hub (major) egress violations pictures over to OSHA became the target of a witch hunt.
It's no longer about what is right...

it's about who is right.
If you mean he was retaliated against for filing the OSHA complaint then I am sure he will be filing a retaliation complaint with OSHA.

He probably already has. The guy seems really courageous in trying to do the right thing.

I was not directly retaliated against when I filed a formal OSHA complaint.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I thought OSHA complaints were made anonymously.
You can request to remain anonymous but a formal complaint must be written and signed.

I am and always have been in favor of giving my name.

If proper channels are used in attempting to resolve workplace hazards then even if you remain anonymous everyone is going to know who filed the complaint anyway.

I feel you are better protected against retaliation this way.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If you mean he was retaliated against for filing the OSHA complaint then I am sure he will be filing a retaliation complaint with OSHA.

He probably already has. The guy seems really courageous in trying to do the right thing.

I was not directly retaliated against when I filed a formal OSHA complaint.
Your complaint wasnt involving the facility that precipitated the CSA. The $208,000 fine in Sharonville was not as much the issue as that the company breached their agreement in the same facility that the CSA originated. Then it was publicized by Bloomberg and they quoted the steward who reported the new violations.

Then the witch hunt began and the steward was taken out of service for termination for months when he didnt want to take a 10 min break in the hood in 37° weather when the center manager told him to.

What did the televised report say about the company's response when asked about the inhumane hot working conditions in the package cars last summer? They said drivers had the freedom to take their breaks when they feel they need them.
Evidently not. Termination for insubordination over a 10 minute break? It was a witch hunt.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your complaint wasnt involving the facility that precipitated the CSA. The $208,000 fine in Sharonville was not as much the issue as that the company breached their agreement in the same facility that the CSA originated. Then it was publicized by Bloomberg and they quoted the steward who reported the new violations.

Then the witch hunt began and the steward was taken out of service for termination for months when he didnt want to take a 10 min break in the hood in 37° weather when the center manager told him to.

What did the televised report say about the company's response when asked about the inhumane hot working conditions in the package cars last summer? They said drivers had the freedom to take their breaks when they feel they need them.
Evidently not. Termination for insubordination over a 10 minute break? It was a witch hunt.
This obviously was as you say a witch hunt does this surprise you based upon culture at UPS?

It doesn’t surprise me.

Nah
You can request to remain anonymous but a formal complaint must be written and signed.

I am and always have been in favor of giving my name.

If proper channels are used in attempting to resolve workplace hazards then even if you remain anonymous everyone is going to know who filed the complaint anyway.

I feel you are better protected against retaliation this way.

Bingo. If you filed anonymously and then tried to claim retaliation, the company would just say "we didn't know it was you that filed the complaint." Proving retaliation is already an uphill battle. We don't need to be doing management any favors to make it harder for us.

Your language implies he got his job back. Did he get pay, as well? Please say he did...

What angle did he use to fight it? Safety? Retaliation? All of the above?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I remember taking the ERI one year and the BA came up to several months and told me that he enjoyed reading what I put in the comments section. So much for anonymity.