Our Dwindling Free Life Insurance

dezguy

They're forcing us to switch benefit companies, up here. Haven't seen how bad it's going to be but when one of the first sentences in the bulletin announcing the switch is "in order to ensure future prosperity for the company", you know it's not going to be good.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
First, nobody should care about a benefit being whittled away.

But second, you actually should care and actually should have more of this thing you shouldn’t care about. And as such, you should pay for it out of pocket because the company doesn’t offer as much for zero cost to its employees.

Got it.
It's a loss of $5000 in coverage. To replace that $5000 of coverage yourself costs practically nothing.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Don’t have a wake, casket, funeral plot, head stone, embalmment. It’s all a scam that will cost you around 20-30k. Get cremated. Sit on a mantle, or spread in the ocean. Have a quite memorial mass if you’re religious.
No way. They take a hammer and smash your skull and break up your bones. Then you go into a blender.

MassWineGuy

I’m sure, Dano, that you grasp perfectly what the underlying discontent is. It’s not that buying life insurance is expensive. The reduction symbolizes how the company feels about and regards its employees.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I’m sure, Dano, that you grasp perfectly what the underlying discontent is. It’s not that buying life insurance is expensive. The reduction symbolizes how the company feels about and regards its employees.
I grasp perfectly the effect that this will have on the typical employee: none.

Speaking of "how the company feels about employees," you'll get a kick out of this. What's a big complaint? They won't give raises, but they serve pizza and other food, especially around SFA time and it's insulting. One of the stations in this area didn't serve food (or only served it once, I don't remember) and everyone complained that they don't even get fed anymore.

People!

MassWineGuy

I think you’re very purposely maintaining a front. Which I’m fine with. And what other reason is there for bringing out the food? Of course, I’ll never say no to free food.