Our Teamster Money going to the Nation of Islam? for real?

S

susiedriver

Who said cancelled?

Just pointing out they the grants have been cut. Education should be our nations priority.

O

over9five

If being PC is being evolved, I'd rather be Cro-Magnon!

('scuse me while I club my spouse an' drag her off to my cave)

M

moreluck

no, you didn't say "cancelled", but you put a most negative spin on a good thing. I tell about a decent good program offered to help people and all you see is "pell grants cut".

Is your glass always half empty?

S

scratch_king

Last year I got fed up with the Teamster's DRIVE Program and I went down to the Local and withdrew. It really made made me angry that for twenty plus years my money went to idiots that I voted against. It should be titled DIVE instead of DRIVE, all of it goes to the Democrats.

S

susiedriver

My glass is pretty darn full, but I'm not trying to go to carry a full load in college with rising tuition and falling financial aid. Bush promised $5100/year in Pell grants in 2000, today the maximum is just over $4000, with it set to rise 2.5% per year until 2010, where it tops out at $4550. The average tuition ay a public college for in- state students is rising at about 10.5%. To quote a St. Petersburg Times editorial:

In an economy that all but requires a college degree for success, lack of financial means can have a devastating effect on a student's opportunities in life. Bush made that very point in the debate, noting that "education is how to make sure we've got a work force that's productive and competitive." On what new theory does he now justify making those education options less available to the poor and middle class?

T

toonertoo

You have to contribute to it somewhat or you wont appreciate it at all. It is designed to HELP a student, not carry them through.

O

over9five

We know, we know. It's all Bushs' fault. He's the only one in Washington. Sits there in his office making policy all by himself...

D

deliver_man

Voted in by a MAJORITY of Americans.
Thats not true in a literal sense. The democratic minority in the senate actually represents a majority of the american people due to differences in the size of their districts, it's similar to the 2000 elections, where Gore won the popular vote but lost the electoral vote. I'm not sure about the house of representatives.

D

don

Susie - please get your facts correct and not off something like MOVEON.ORG... "Department of Education figures show the number of Pell Grants awarded the year before Bush took office was 3.9 million. The number grew to 5.1 million for the most recent academic year -- an increase of 1.3 million, actually.

Spending for Pell Grants grew from just under $8 billion in the academic year that was underway when Bush took office to nearly $12.7 billion three years later, a jump of nearly 60%. That's some "cut."

It is true that during the 2000 presidential campaign Bush promised to increase the maximum size of Pell Grants to $5,100 for first-year students, a promise that remains unfulfilled. The maximum grant has risen from $3,300 at the time Bush made that promise, but only to $4,050. Under Bush's proposed 2005 budget the maximum grant would remain frozen there for most students for the third year in a row."

O

ok2bclever

Well, the majority of the voters were probably Americans, but I don't put anything past most of those politicians.

U

ups_vette

over9five..

They were voted in by a MAJORITY of voters who the Republicans ALLOWED to vote.

L

lkjh

The democratic minority in the senate actually represents a majority of the american people

???

When did the U.S. senate begin representing the American people?

Answer: Never.

Representatives represent "the American people." Thats why theyre called representatives and their number is determined by population.

Senators embody the interests of their particular *state* - even when/if it diverges from the interests of the people of that state. Always have, always will. Thats why each state gets two, and each senator gets one vote - regardless of population. They were intended to address issues and deal with the business at hand WITHOUT pressure from the general public.

Thats why they were originally intended to be chosen by the state legislature and not by direct election.

I get a kick out of that type of thing. I saw it broadcast a couple of years back on one of the local cable access channels that purports to address issues of teens.

It was one of those shows thats supposed to be hip and presents the kids that participate as being knowledgeable and "educated."

Anyway, the minority girl stands up and says something very profound My senators are both white males and they dont represent me!

LOL. Shes too ignorant to understand that yes, honey, they dont represent you by design or function or anything else.

Civics, Latin, grammar they're all subjects that can be formally declared dead.

O

over9five

Deliverman, You too....WTF???

Are you seriously stating that people sitting in the Senate did not get the majority of the votes in their elections?

You people who vote on the losing side will say ANYTHING! Get over it.

D

deliver_man

over9five,
No I'm not saying that at all, you misunderstood me. The democratic minority technically represents more people because they represent more populous districts. As an example, New York and North Dakota get 2 senators each, but the 2 senators from New York represent about 10 times as many people.

I'm not bitching about this, by the way, just pointing out a feature of our electoral system that people don't usually think about.

S

susiedriver

don brown,

I'm sure you have a perfectly good reason to post this from work, though I can't imagine why. The stock tanked today, and yet you have time to post on a non work related subject. Isn't here something productive you could be doing?

Anyway, you said:
Susie - please get your facts correct and not off something like MOVEON.ORG... "Department of Education figures show the number of Pell Grants awarded the year before Bush took office was 3.9 million. The number grew to 5.1 million for the most recent academic year -- an increase of 1.3 million, actually.

Yes that is correct, there was an increase in spending under Bush, because there are more people with low incomes under Bush. Let's tell the whole truth, shall we?

A new formula for calculating eligibility for college financial aid will eliminate federal Pell Grants for up to 80,000 to 90,000 low-income students and will affect funding levels for up to 1 million others.

Besides those who will lose their Pell Grants completely, "we estimate about 1.3 million students will see reductions of $100 to $300 per year," said Terry Hartle, senior vice president of the American Council on Education, a trade association representing 2,000 public and private colleges and universities.
Although the Pell Grant program has grown steadily since its inception, need threatens to outstrip availability. The program is driven by an escalating number of minority and low-income high school graduates, with projections forecasting the high school graduating class of 2008 as the largest in U.S. history.

Despite this, the last Pell increase ($50) occurred three years ago, and the average U.S. college student graduates with a $17,000 debt.

"The real thing that's unfortunate is that the Pell Grant isn't going up," said Sarah Flanagan, vice president for government relations of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. "If the maximum were making even moderate increases, all these people on the margin wouldn't fall out of the program."

Last year Congress approved $12.4 billion for Pell Grants for 2005. The total represented an increase of $400 million from 2004 but was half of what was requested.

Now why don't you get back to work and do what you can to increase the profitability of UPS, instead of surfing at work, even if you are allowed to in your upper management position.

D

dannyboy

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -- Voltaire

So that is why you do what you do.

That explains a lot.

d

S

susiedriver

I was thinking more along the lines of the 'War On <u>________'</u> (fill in the blank with the war d'jour.)