Out for a Few Weeks

bbsam

Staff member
Whenever I've had a work comp claim (sprained ankle, etc.) my drivers have been restricted to light duty. Each occasion I've had them drive unfamiliar routes to get them familiarized in new areas.

I've never had a driver who wanted to sit home and collect WC.

vantexan

Whenever I've had a work comp claim (sprained ankle, etc.) my drivers have been restricted to light duty. Each occasion I've had them drive unfamiliar routes to get them familiarized in new areas.

I've never had a driver who wanted to sit home and collect WC.
If a doctor tells you no lifting, no exertion, keep your arm in the sling except for showers then you stay home. I was fortunate to have dislocated arm at 33. If I had done it at 17 according to doctor it would have been a lifetime problem.

MassWineGuy

MWG, I wish you a speedy recovery.
BTW, I don’t know if this matters to you or not, but ya pretty much just outted your identity to anyone from your location who may be reading this.

Yuck! Not sure how.

It would be fine with me if some kind moderator were to edit as needed.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Does Express offer light duty?

UPS uses light duty as a means to keep an on the job injury off the books. We had a kid who also slipped while walking on ice----he was wearing the cleats---and hurt his ankle. He is working in the office doing whatever needs to be done (shuttling misloads, bringing out replacement DIADs, etc.) while receiving his daily guarantee, which is much more than he would make if he were at home collecting comp.
It depends on the district and the Senior Managers. Some will say yes. Some say it’s not available.

dezguy

I'm not sure what would be worse; Doing the mundane stuff at the station while they try to bore you back to work early or sitting at home, not being able to do anything...

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
In Texas:
1. You must report your injury within 30 days of the occurrence.
2. You have the right to retain an attorney to represent you.
3. You have the right to medical treatment and income benefits regardless of fault.
4. You have the right to medical treatment as long as medically necessary.
5. You have the right to dispute both treatment and income benefits.
6. You have the right to choose the treating doctor.
7. You have the right to confidentiality.
8. Your beneficiaries might be entitled to death and burial benefits.

Research of your rights in your home state is YOUR responsibility.

It will be fine

In Texas:
1. You must report your injury within 30 days of the occurrence.
2. You have the right to retain an attorney to represent you.
3. You have the right to medical treatment and income benefits regardless of fault.
4. You have the right to medical treatment as long as medically necessary.
5. You have the right to dispute both treatment and income benefits.
6. You have the right to choose the treating doctor.
7. You have the right to confidentiality.
8. Your beneficiaries might be entitled to death and burial benefits.

Research of your rights in your home state is YOUR responsibility.
Texas is very employer friendly too. Many states are more protective of employees.

dezguy

I don’t have a problem working in the office, but I’d prefer to stay home for the same money.
I would agree, however, I have experienced the type of "work" my station assigns while people are on light duty. Its mind numbingly boring and ridiculous.

At the same time, I'm not one who can just sit on my butt at home. There is always something I'd rather be working on or organizing. My wife hates it. lol

It will be fine

I’d have no trouble doing that, either. I’d rather be earning all of what I should get instead of a percentage that wc payments would be.
Proper light duty should be developed to keep injured workers part of the team. You keep people on their same schedule so their daily routine is interrupted as little as possible. You make them feel valuable to the company while injured. This helps lower the chance of litigation and settlements for disability. An employer doesn't want injured people sitting at home watching dozens of ambulance chaser lawyer ads on daytime TV.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
As an aside, but pertinent to the conversation, those whom I know that have gone out on WC have received a cash settlement after they returned to work, to finalize any and all claims regarding their injury. Some were substantial.