Out for a Few Weeks

MassWineGuy

After closing out a drop box Tuesday evening I slipped on some ice while walking back to my vehicle. Broken left wrist. Workman’s Comp. claim up and running. Should be 4 to 6 weeks in a cast.

At FedEx, we get flyers posted telling us how to prevent falls. At the UPS center in the same area there were boxes of slip-on ice cleats each morning for everyone to take.

I read the other thread about the WC settlement. I was on light duty after my lymphoma. Nothing bad happened. I don’t know if I’ll need restrictions after my cast comes off.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
After closing out a drop box Tuesday evening I slipped on some ice while walking back to my vehicle. Broken left wrist. Workman’s Comp. claim up and running. Should be 4 to 6 weeks in a cast.

At FedEx, we get flyers posted telling us how to prevent falls. At the UPS center in the same area there were boxes of slip-on ice cleats each morning for everyone to take.

I read the other thread about the WC settlement. I was on light duty after my lymphoma. Nothing bad happened. I don’t know if I’ll need restrictions after my cast comes off.
Sorry about your injury. Good luck to you.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Hope you have a speedy recovery and smooth workmans comp process.
Here at ups a driver slipped in the ups yard and was out for 5 months. Ups denied his comp claim.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

The difference between lip service (FedEx) and actual safety practices (UPS).
Heal fast!

MassWineGuy

Omg, Sil. That driver needs a good lawyer. Unless UPS can prove that he or she acted in a negligent way, that driver has a claim.

Thank you for your good wishes, everybody. I’m new to this. As I said to the dr., I’ve never had a broken bone in
my life. “You do now,” he said.

Most of what I’ve seen on the Web says some pt is needed. I’ll have to see how I feel when my cast is off. That’s when I’m anticipating some brief light duty.

Luckily, I’m right-handed.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Sedgewick, the WC outfit for FedEx is a huge pain in the ass to deal with.

Talk to 3 reps there and they'll give you 3 different stories on what you have to do to get your money. That is if they bother to answer the phone at all. My managers were of no help at all.

I wish you a quick recovery but don't be surprised if management pressures you about coming back before you feel healed enough to haul packages again.

Best of luck.

vantexan

Back in the mid-90's slipped on ice and dislocated my shoulder. Mgr called doctor and pushed him to let me do light duty after he had told me no work for 3 weeks. She brought me to a huge pile of boxes, many weighing 50lbs+, wanted me to carry them all to the back and fill out airbills to RTS. Doctor said no lifting, arm to stay in sling except for showers. I called a lawyer who told me her calling doctor was illegal. After telling her that she immediately sent me home for three weeks. I wanted to be Mr. Nice Guy back then, but knowing what I do now, and being forced to carry that box back before I called, I would sue them. Doctor as a witness.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Back in the mid-90's slipped on ice and dislocated my shoulder. Mgr called doctor and pushed him to let me do light duty after he had told me no work for 3 weeks. She brought me to a huge pile of boxes, many weighing 50lbs+, wanted me to carry them all to the back and fill out airbills to RTS. Doctor said no lifting, arm to stay in sling except for showers. I called a lawyer who told me her calling doctor was illegal. After telling her that she immediately sent me home for three weeks. I wanted to be Mr. Nice Guy back then, but knowing what I do now, and being forced to carry that box back before I called, I would sue them. Doctor as a witness.
That manager should have been fired. And then sued.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Sue them for what?

MAKAVELI

Omg, Sil. That driver needs a good lawyer. Unless UPS can prove that he or she acted in a negligent way, that driver has a claim.

Thank you for your good wishes, everybody. I’m new to this. As I said to the dr., I’ve never had a broken bone in
my life. “You do now,” he said.

Most of what I’ve seen on the Web says some pt is needed. I’ll have to see how I feel when my cast is off. That’s when I’m anticipating some brief light duty.

Luckily, I’m right-handed.
Negligent or not, if it happened on duty or on company property it's workers comp.

vantexan

Sue them for what?
For illegally calling my doctor then ignoring his orders to not lift anything, insisting that I handle a bunch of freight. I lived a mile from work, drove a motorscooter at the time. 6 inches of snow on ground, walked to work on pain meds that made me groggy. She was aware of this, insisted I come to work anyways after getting doctor to say ok if he's real careful. I still wasn't supposed to lift anything but she ordered me to. Only veiled threat of legal action got her to send me home.

59 Dano

For illegally calling my doctor then ignoring his orders to not lift anything, insisting that I handle a bunch of freight. I lived a mile from work, drove a motorscooter at the time. 6 inches of snow on ground, walked to work on pain meds that made me groggy. She was aware of this, insisted I come to work anyways after getting doctor to say ok if he's real careful. I still wasn't supposed to lift anything but she ordered me to. Only veiled threat of legal action got her to send me home.

Not that I'm not sympathetic, but a boss calling a doctor and ignoring his orders isn't something you get money from.

vantexan

Not that I'm not sympathetic, but a boss calling a doctor and ignoring his orders isn't something you get money from.
It was illegal for her to call. She also ignored his orders. If I had done what she wanted I could have been permanently injured. If you saw the pile of freight, probably 60-70 boxes, you probably would've wondered what part of no lifting didn't she understand? My left arm was literally a big noodle and I could have damaged nerves.

59 Dano

It was illegal for her to call. She also ignored his orders. If I had done what she wanted I could have been permanently injured. If you saw the pile of freight, probably 60-70 boxes, you probably would've wondered what part of no lifting didn't she understand? My left arm was literally a big noodle and I could have damaged nerves.

"Could have" is not worth a nickel.