Out of control!! Inexperienced Maintenance Mechanics Getting Killed by equipment on the job. What is going on Plant Engineering???

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
However interesting that would be, that is not my main interest.

My interest is finding out what happened so I can communicate it my maintenance contacts so as to minimize recurrence of this type incident.

Being blue collar workers my contacts are well aware of their propensity to go along and get along in the UPS Plant Engineering Culture.

The safest employees are often just a punchline in the jokes between the suck ups on the maintenance crew and their management team.
What I was responding to was the lack of expedient information about the deaths. The lawsuits may claim and or expose details about the cases. Lawsuits and settlements are often telling.
"Suck ups" abound bro. Until they are the ones put into the box and then it's not fun and games anymore for those left behind.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
The IAM local in our area kisses the labor mgr's posterior.
Our IAM local for the most part does ok, its not perfect but we are keeping the work in the shop and they got us a nice annuity on top of our pension.

I was asking IAM or teamster to try and find this language in the contract about the shop being walled in. Since it is in the teamster contract I would think a teamster would have to file it.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Our IAM local for the most part does ok, its not perfect but we are keeping the work in the shop and they got us a nice annuity on top of our pension.

I was asking IAM or teamster to try and find this language in the contract about the shop being walled in. Since it is in the teamster contract I would think a teamster would have to file it.
Your contract, from what I've seen locally, is pretty small in volume. Do you have working conditions addressed? Article 18 in the UPS/IBT National Master addresses it. If not I'm sure that your area OSHA office can address it. If they find merit in your claim then write a letter to them and sign it to make it a formal complaint. You can remain anonymous or you can tell the company that you filed the complaint. If your CBA addresses it file a grievance to get the paper trail started. Follow protocol by addressing it with management first. OSHA is greatly burdened with COVID complaint investigations so they probably won't do an on-site (in person) investigation unless someone is maimed, killed, or there is an amputation but they will formally addresses it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your contract, from what I've seen locally, is pretty small in volume. Do you have working conditions addressed? Article 18 in the UPS/IBT National Master addresses it. If not I'm sure that your area OSHA office can address it. If they find merit in your claim then write a letter to them and sign it to make it a formal complaint. You can remain anonymous or you can tell the company that you filed the complaint. If your CBA addresses it file a grievance to get the paper trail started. Follow protocol by addressing it with management first. OSHA is greatly burdened with COVID complaint investigations so they probably won't do an on-site (in person) investigation unless someone is maimed, killed, or there is an amputation but they will formally addresses it.
Nice post.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I didn't read yours on Art 18 above until I posted. If you want things to change in your workplace you've got to stand up and do it yourself at times. Someone needs to lead.
So true.

I have many years of being harassed and treated with hostility by hourly and management alike due to my perspectives on safety compliance.

I am sorry to have displeased them but tough.

That is certainly their problem not mine.

quad decade guy

As with "@Integrity", you probably should do some research on how to craft a logical argument. Yeah, it's a real thing. Learn how to do it and these little back and forths will be much more meaningful. When one makes a claim, they need to present the evidence to support the claim. It's simple. The people who question such a claim (apparently some call that an "attack", go figure) are doing simply that, questioning. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. That's all there is to it. The only thing I can agree with in your post is the statement that you don't know me. Nope, you do not. And just for the record, your claim that I act as nothing happened is pure BS. Copy and paste where I said anything of the sort. How do you even take yourself seriously when you post junk like that?
Tragic fatalities occur, and wild accusations are hurled blaming hourlies, management, lack of procedures, lack of "integrity."
You know none of that for a fact in any of these cases. "I know a guy in PE who said he saw..." is pure hearsay.
Anyone making claims bears the burden of proving those claims or it's just a bunch of gossip. And actually, at the end of the day, that's all this board is, a bunch of gossip.
Disagree all you want, you are free to do so.
Actually, all I've really said was that there is a chain of events in any accident/incident/injury/fatality. Always said I wasn't there nor you. Now, I've also only said that there are elements(people/equipment etc). I also said that it could be a singular or combination of supervision, human error, deliberate flauting of safety protocols etc. I also encouraged anyone to take some time to observe any operation at UPS to see this first hand. Now, your level of cognitive abilities is your burden. I'm sorry....can't fix stupid. We have a string of fatalities. Fact. There are a series of events leading to the deaths. Fact. Do I know exactly what those are? No. Fact. You? No. Fact also. A lot has been said on this thread about "safety culture" at UPS. I happen to agree with some of those statements as an opinion based on observation and experience. Yes, anecdotal but applicable I think. Are these "logical arguments"? IDK. Perhaps to a dog or tree stump or maybe just a hateful, sorry piece of human debris..
Gets dicey for sure.
So true.

I have many years of being harassed and treated with hostility by hourly and management alike due to my perspectives on safety compliance.

I am sorry to have displeased them but tough.

That is certainly their problem not mine.
Which is doubly bizarre....especially by the hourlies.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Actually, all I've really said was that there is a chain of events in any accident/incident/injury/fatality. Always said I wasn't there nor you. Now, I've also only said that there are elements(people/equipment etc). I also said that it could be a singular or combination of supervision, human error, deliberate flauting of safety protocols etc. I also encouraged anyone to take some time to observe any operation at UPS to see this first hand. Now, your level of cognitive abilities is your burden. I'm sorry....can't fix stupid. We have a string of fatalities. Fact. There are a series of events leading to the deaths. Fact. Do I know exactly what those are? No. Fact. You? No. Fact also. A lot has been said on this thread about "safety culture" at UPS. I happen to agree with some of those statements as an opinion based on observation and experience. Yes, anecdotal but applicable I think. Are these "logical arguments"? IDK. Perhaps to a dog or tree stump or maybe just a hateful, sorry piece of human debris..
Gets dicey for sure.
Which is doubly bizarre....especially by the hourlies.
Nice post.

Early in my career my desire for personal safety compliance nearly led to a fist fight or 2.

Never tried to impose my safety attitude on them, I felt that was management’s job, but unfortunately the mob mentality tried to impose their lack of compliance on me.

It was go along and get along or else.

I have dealt with or else for pretty much my entire career at UPS.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Nice post.

Early in my career my desire for personal safety compliance nearly led to a fist fight or 2.

Never tried to impose my safety attitude on them, I felt that was management’s job, but unfortunately the mob mentality tried to impose their lack of compliance on me.

It was go along and get along or else.

I have dealt with or else for pretty much my entire career at UPS.

I can believe that

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It is a chronic and widespread attitude that I have seen at UPS.

I know I am not alone in dealing with the BS. It is sometime a lonely fight but it is well worth it in my book.

5EBFA2AE-ECB8-4265-AD44-C2078DDD5A91.gif

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
It is a chronic and widespread attitude that I have seen at UPS.

I know I am not alone in dealing with the BS. It is sometime a lonely fight but it is well worth it in my book.
The sheep will take the safety gains as long as they aren't involved with an incentive plan and when safety methods are universally applied that cuts down their bonus. They'll also let you fight the fight for them and back stab you in the back to stay in "good graces" with the supervisors.

You have to do the right thing even if you stand alone because at the end of the day integrity cannot be bought, it's an atribute that is earned through testing and perseverance.

What does it matter if two faced co-workers are jealous enough to try to hamper your efforts to improve the work environment for the people you represent and/or work with?

We aren't there for the applause of 'men' and there will be a day when everyone will answer for their actions be it good or bad.