Out of control!! Inexperienced Maintenance Mechanics Getting Killed by equipment on the job. What is going on Plant Engineering???

Integrity

Binge Poster
It is interesting to watch. My immediate mgt. team seems to be in some sort of neutered waiting game. Don't ask don't tell sort of. The ORS's seem frightened. Managers seem like they are about to be fired or demoted. Of course it's always been like this. Just worse now it seems. Anything that will incur an expense is ignored. Example: our carwash has been closed down for a year. Why? Their solution? Here's a bucket and brush.....for a 150 person feeder department. We have people driving well over 50 mph(a lot more probably) in the parking lot. Mgt's take? Shrug."We don't recognize the parking lot". What? I don't know what mgt. does all day but they sure don't pay attention to what is happening at work.
Interesting yet disgusting to watch at the same time.

Yes, they drive 50 MPH right past the 10 MPH sign in the yard. Clear violation of the UPS Yard Control Safety Procedures.

They do this right in front of Security Guards, Management, hourly employees, Union Stewards( some who do it are probably Shop Stewards), visiting Union Officials, Safety Committee Reps/ members.

Only the concerned are the mocked, ridiculed, harassed, threatened, that is until something bad happens.

The guilty then is viewed as the horrible employee, that is along with dead or maimed “ fools” who go and get themselves hurt or killed. No integrity here.

The Driver

I drive.
Just wondering if OSHA is involved and what any investigation into these matters may bring. Just taking @Integrity's word for it that these incidents occurred. He's right that it's tragic, it's tragic as hell. So many in such a short time!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Just wondering if OSHA is involved and what any investigation into these matters may bring. Just taking @Integrity's word for it that these incidents occurred. He's right that it's tragic, it's tragic as hell. So many in such a short time!
You can look all the incidents up.

OSHA is involved in all fatalities in the workplace.

I am not finding any follow up details from anyone.

None of my Maintenance Mechanic contacts have been given any details about any of the incidents, in factthe first incident one contact was called into the office and told not to look into it. He was then treated in a hostile manner by a division Manager because of his interest in know more.

He said he was basically told in a hostile way to mind his own business.

No integrity in this.

FEGuy

How about some examples of their operating with integrity?

Since you seem to have an opposite experience than mine.
Yeah, that's not how a logical argument works. You made a claim, you have to provide the evidence to support that claim.
Please continue to talk in circles. You're dismissed.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes you copied and pasted some examples. You did not provide evidence of management failures. I was looking for fact based proof to back up your claims.
A maintenance mechanic who I am very close with reported to me that he has observed PE management observing jobs being done with clear lockout violations occurring and the PE management did nothing about them.

He claims he has seen this more times than he can even count.

There’s one pretty serious one.

You good?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
It is possible, but to draw any such conclusion would require detailed knowledge of the circumstances of the accident is completely unfair and rings of the “blame the worker” mentality.

UPS Plant Engineering management is not very forthcoming with the circumstances surrounding these types of accident.

It has been reported to me that they are downright hostile to any mechanics who have inquired about the details of accidents like this.
Osha FOIA. Get the details.

Btw...the company cares about safety because it spawns liability payments to federal agencies and to personal injury lawsuits but also remember to not forget workers comp costs.

It's all about money.

Remember that when you get hurt at work and denied workers compensation later because you decided to give in to their requests to just drive the truck at peak and "the helper will run off the stops".

Integrity

Binge Poster
Osha FOIA. Get the details.

Btw...the company cares about safety because it spawns liability payments to federal agencies and to personal injury lawsuits but also remember to not forget workers comp costs.

It's all about money.

Remember that when you get hurt at work and denied workers compensation later because you decided to give in to their requests to just drive the truck at peak and "the helper will run off the stops".
Can’t argue with this.

quad decade guy

Yeah, that's not how a logical argument works. You made a claim, you have to provide the evidence to support that claim.
Please continue to talk in circles. You're dismissed.
I won't speak for anyone else. Dismissed? Yeah, the three dead guys....I don't know you, but you seem offended by these clear and REAL examples of fatalities and the implication of cause and fault. I wasn't there nor were you. But we have multiple fatalities. Now for "logical" arguments...We could say that perhaps human error(whatever that means), lack of proper supervision(whatever that means), deliberate, purposeful ignoring of safety protocols(by mgt. and hourly)(maybe all of these) were the cause. Logical? Seems so.

Pages and pages could be filled here about safety protocol violations in PE, Automotive, Aviation and Operations. Hell, I bet we got bad stuff happening in Corporate. I encourage you to just spend a few minutes observing ANY operation in a hub or outside. Just stand off to the side and watch. You will be a believer.

Speaking of logical arguments, then how did these fatalities happen? Something happened. You act like nothing did. You just attack the reporter(who also has an opinion)(broad as it may be). So, you have been dismissive of fault. Logically, what happened? I know there is a chain of events leading to these deaths(involving hourly and mgt.). So, tell us exactly and precisely WHAT HAPPENED?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I won't speak for anyone else. Dismissed? Yeah, the three dead guys....I don't know you, but you seem offended by these clear and REAL examples of fatalities and the implication of cause and fault. I wasn't there nor were you. But we have multiple fatalities. Now for "logical" arguments...We could say that perhaps human error(whatever that means), lack of proper supervision(whatever that means), deliberate, purposeful ignoring of safety protocols(by mgt. and hourly)(maybe all of these) were the cause. Logical? Seems so.

Pages and pages could be filled here about safety protocol violations in PE, Automotive, Aviation and Operations. Hell, I bet we got bad stuff happening in Corporate. I encourage you to just spend a few minutes observing ANY operation in a hub or outside. Just stand off to the side and watch. You will be a believer.

Speaking of logical arguments, then how did these fatalities happen? Something happened. You act like nothing did. You just attack the reporter(who also has an opinion)(broad as it may be). So, you have been dismissive of fault. Logically, what happened? I know there is a chain of events leading to these deaths(involving hourly and mgt.). So, tell us exactly and precisely WHAT HAPPENED?
Well said.

Thank you for your contribution to this discussion thread.

UPSER1987

A maintenance mechanic who I am very close with reported to me that he has observed PE management observing jobs being done with clear lockout violations occurring and the PE management did nothing about them.

He claims he has seen this more times than he can even count.

There’s one pretty serious one.

You good?
No, I’m not. I expect more from you particularly since you’re close to the situation. It’s pretty serious.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Yes you copied and pasted some examples. You did not provide evidence of management failures. I was looking for fact based proof to back up your claims.

you want an example. they use the line behind our shop to unload the majority of the package cars.. package cars in and out of the line for hours coming within inches of the cars we are working on, most of them on stands. We have had drivers Hit the cars in the shop and managements solution is to put cones behind the cars in the shop.

how about move automotive out of the hub we have outgrown 15 years ago before someone gets killed.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
You are the poster with all the copy/paste info. The question is what will YOU do with this information? (Other than spout nonsense in every thread)?
Was asking about the additional information that @FEGuy was requesting.

As far as the information I have, I haven’t decided what to do yet.

UPSER1987

you want an example. they use the line behind our shop to unload the majority of the package cars.. package cars in and out of the line for hours coming within inches of the cars we are working on, most of them on stands. We have had drivers Hit the cars in the shop and managements solution is to put cones behind the cars in the shop.

how about move automotive out of the hub we have outgrown 15 years ago before someone gets killed.
I agree, that sounds like a bad plan on managements part.

Has anyone addressed this with anyone that can actually do anything about it?